• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rose Villa Tavern

cookie273uk

master brummie
Took a 'walk' along Google street view to obtain a suitable image to provide material for a painting and liked this view, will add this to my 'Winter Walk' painting for our raffleRose Villa Tavern 2014.JPG. Eric

Beautiful Eric. I am most definitely going to spend a tenner trying to win that painting :encouragement:

Last edited:
Oh my Eric that is just lovely. I will be buying a few raffle tickets...x

I'd love that too, but am not sure If I will be able to come to the meet unfortunately

eric thats wonderful..so kind of you to donate 2 of your paintings as raffle prizes...

mike i know this meet may not be possible for you but if you cant make it and i win the rose villa tavern painting consider it yours:encouragement:and if frothy wins i shall fight him for it lol..
lyn

This 'street view' malarkey is a godsend to us lazy painters, no need to go out with sketch book or camera, no copyright problems simply 'walk' along the street until you have a composition you like, download the image stick a few figures in to give it life and Hey Presto !!!! Simple. Eric

Dave, I agree, was thinking of using artists licence and leaving it of as its not very paintable but from past experience there is always someone who will say 'where is so and so' so on a well known subject I try to be as accurate as possible. Of course I suppose a few years ago that building would not have been there !! too late now. Eric

eric that big buiding is called the big peg..no idea why its called that but if i had my way i would hang it out to dry lol..

lyn

A little trip back to earlier times.

Attachments

• Jewellry Quarter Warstone Lane Rose Villa Tavern.jpg
    Jewellry Quarter Warstone Lane Rose Villa Tavern.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 42
eric that big buiding is called the big peg..no idea why its called that but if i had my way i would hang it out to dry lol..

lyn

Lyn I presume the name came from either the peg that jewellers used to hold their rings tight on their boards when doing their jewellery work, or a jewellers space in the small workshops around the quarter were called pegs

Last edited:
This 'street view' malarkey is a godsend to us lazy painters, no need to go out with sketch book or camera, no copyright problems simply 'walk' along the street until you have a composition you like, download the image stick a few figures in to give it life and Hey Presto !!!! Simple. Eric

I agree that Google earth is very useful for obtaining pictures from, however you must read the license conditions on Google Earth before copying or re-distributing any of the pics. You may be infringing copyright law. I wouldn't like to hear of anyone getting into a legal fight or a website being closed down because of a contributors ignorance.

The Rose Villa tavern is where I had my first pint with my dad. Happy days.

Bob, The copyright laws are a very grey area (I speak from 40 years of painting experience), I have yet to meet any one who really understands it, but in this case I could have obtained the exact same image by visiting the area who's to know I didn't (apart from, on this occasion, me saying different). A lot of it is common sense, I have had my paintings both copied and reproduced without my permission and it as never bothered me, in fact I take it as a compliment. Also I will not be redistributing the image but donating a painting which I hold the copyright for and will remain so until 70 years after my death. Your concern very much appreciated. Eric

Phil, find your pic post 11 much more 'paintable' than my image, particularly with the attached old houses and the wet road reflections (I could have really gone to town on them). This is another example of possible copyright infringement so will leave it alone. Eric

Eric

I can't see what possible copyright infringement there could be with you copying a photograph, say for instance you painted that particular scene of the Rose Villa Tavern minus the car outside. Then who would be able to say that you hadn't sat outside the pub on any rainy day in any year and painted it.

Go to the real thing and you get cars and buses going past! Have to wait for right moment to take photo when the car / or bus passes.

Beautiful painting Eric - you are so talented. I would think the copyright for google street view is about using or reproducing their actual image. I don't really see how they could complain about you painting it as you could have gone and taken exactly the same image yourself and then painted it. Anyway if they complain let me know - they took a copy of my image without asking - taken through two windows in line with each other they filmed me sitting on my sisters patio having a cup of coffee in the sunshine!

Last edited:
Ellbrown, that's one thing about a painting, we can put figures/traffic in or leave them out. As Phil pointed out I could omit the car and possibly suggest 2 or 3 figures which I like in a street scene anyway and at my age I was certainly around when that pic was taken. Having said that I prefer to have permission to utilise some one elses work for a possible painting. Eric

lyn
Oh dear oh dear and you a Brummie Wench an all.

The Peg is used when cutting or piercing pieces of jewellery. The oeg is the wooden bit in the middle of picture. Occasionally bought with the notch in it but if not the piercing saw soon makes one.

Jewellers Peg.jpg

[video=youtube;AqikSp-yeRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqikSp-yeRA[/video] shows how it is used - sorry could find a better video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ellbrown, no I do not have a twitter account (or face book) I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to PC's but I don't think either would benefit me. Have just read Googles copyright rules and you can download anything for your personal use but must not redistribute it. Well I am downloading it to provide material for a painting, the painting is my work (and I have sole copyright) so I think that's OK, as I have said in a previous post copyright is a very grey and complex subject, after exhibiting over 600 paintings in 40 years I have never had the authentication of my work queried. Eric

Oh dear oh dear and you a Brummie Wench an all.

The Peg is used when cutting or piercing pieces of jewellery. The oeg is the wooden bit in the middle of picture. Occasionally bought with the notch in it but if not the piercing saw soon makes one.

View attachment 90619

[video=youtube;AqikSp-yeRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqikSp-yeRA[/video] shows how it is used - sorry could find a better video.

lol bernie and what makes it worse is my first job was in vyse st ...

Cookie273uk it would be the same if you used a Crown Copyright map!

Assume that you plan on sharing your art somewhere (online / blog / art galleries etc). With your signature somewhere on it? If online, maybe provide a link to Google Street Maps (easily copyable)

The Google view is the same if you used your camera on it any way (other than details on Google being blurry when you zoom in! e.g. plaques / signs).

ellbrown, I no longer exhibit/sell paintings now, at the age of 83 simply have not the stamina or energy required to chase round galleries but still enjoy my art, this particular painting will be donated to our 'meet' raffle at this particular pub like a number of my previous paintings. The last painting I exhibited and sold was in 2006 at the RBSA Gallery. Have done about 60 paintings since mostly for members and simply charged them for framing costs, this gives me a purpose to continue painting. By the way I much admire your photographic skills. Eric

Thanks, glad you like my photos!

Still trial and error, what with experimenting with the settings! Get frustrated when they come of blurred, or not in focus! Some recent ones look really pixelly on zoom in!

Hi Cookie. I was not insinuating that you were going to use the Google picture(s) for any commercial reasons. What you are doing is perfectly O.K I raised the point because there are lots of examples on sites similar to this where contributors have downloaded pictures from sites such as Google and in their ignorance submitted the picture to another website.

Yes, copyright law can be a grey area, until you receive a letter from the offended company's solicitors. Ignorance of the facts carries no weight in law.

That's the boring rubbish out of the way.

Happy painting. Do you know of Ron (Smudge) Smiths work? He painted many well known parts of Brum.

Happy days.

Bob, no offence taken, advice welcome and appreciated. The grey area is when you use the photo as an idea for a painting, maybe deleting or adding details so that it differs from the pic, or make a summer photo into a snow covered winter painting (which I have done more than once). Yes I am aware of 'Smudge' Smith's work and I like it very much, he is what is known as a 'naive' painter (nothing wrong with that, so was Lowry), he certainly brings Birmingham alive and takes you back if you are of that age. Eric

csmith, I am beginning to regret putting the building in the back ground now, even though it is there, I should imagine a couple of decades ago it was not there (it looks new and modern), unfortunately being a watercolour I cannot remove it, not a very forgiving medium, unlike oils or pastels. Eric

Back