• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Field 1895 - 1938

Laura Barker

proper brummie kid
Hi So my great nan was Rose Field, she passed away in 1938 and we as a family know nothing about her as we've no one alive to ask.
The family lived around the Aston area and I know from Ancestry there were a lot of brothers and sisters. I would love to get in contact with someone who know more about Rose and her short life.

Hi So my great nan was Rose Field, she passed away in 1938 and we as a family know nothing about her as we've no one alive to ask.
The family lived around the Aston area and I know from Ancestry there were a lot of brothers and sisters. I would love to get in contact with someone who know more about Rose and her short life.
are you just looking for anyone who knew the field family? if so that could prove difficult after so many years has passed...also would that be her on the 1911 census living with parents george and martha and 10 siblings

also did she marry frank strong..if so she didnt die until 1984...however i could have the wrong family

lyn

Last edited:
I think Rose Field was possibly her maiden name and she appears to have married a John Jones (Dec 1919). Death reg. Jun 1938, though as it's Jones can't be certain.

The Rose Field that married John Jones lived on King Edward's Road. Husband and family are still there in 1939.

As that's not Aston (unless there's another one) it might rule her out as well.

so it may help if laura comes back and she can tell us the name of her grandparents

lyn

so it may help if laura comes back and she can tell us the name of her grandparents

lyn

With the info from Laura's other post, it does seem that it is the Rose Field that married John Jones...

It's possible that some of the brothers and sisters on Ancestry may relate to one of the other Rose Fields as she appears to have had only 5 surviving siblings.

yes i agree mark so here is the marriage cert for rose and john

download (3).png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Something appears to be not straightforward then.

The witnesses are possibly Rose's brother and sister in law. However, I think her siblings' father was a Thomas Henry Field.

There are birth reg. for Rose's siblings but not Rose (as a Field). In 1901 Rose is with her mother (Mary Ann) and siblings and the mother is listed as a widow but Thomas is possibly still alive in 1911.

So it may be that she is the daughter of Mary Ann with an unknown father, and her siblings are only half siblings.

there is a charlotte and george field on the 1911 pope st which is near to st vincent st on the marr cert

download (4).png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
not sure it will help mark but may as well post it ..think this is the 1939 census for charlotte and george field

tna_r39_5513_5513a_011.jpg

Rose's (half ?) siblings...

Archibald b1880 d1881
Elizabeth b1882 - m1903 Frederick Jones, not sure if he's related to Rose's husband.
Agnes b1884 - m1908 Frederick Jukes.
James b1887 - m1906 Sarah Louisa Harwood.
George Henry b1890 - not sure what happened to him now.
Albert b1893 - no birth reg. so may not be Thomas Henry's son also. With James in 1911.

Elizabeth, Agnes And James all had children. Agnes possibly died quite young also in 1928.

Working back from Laura she says in another thread that her father is Barry Collett I have worked back and her grand parents were Stanley Collett and Doris Jones married 1948 and Barry was born 1951mother Jones
Doris Jones mother Rose field. who married john Jones living at 13 Walter street in 1939.

Hopefully Laura will see if this matches at all.

I think that's a different Jones family, op says Rose died in 1938.

John (widowed) is with children at 4 back 44 King Edward's Road in 1939. Doris b1923 is listed as Collett (Jones).

So sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for all the replies - Rose Field did marry John Jones and went onto have my nan Doris, then my dad Barry Collett. Rose sadly died in 1938 and I have the death certificate to show this.

It took a while for me to work out who her parents were as her marriage certificate to John says her dad was called John Field, however the census says Thomas Henry - I'd not even thought about her possibly having a different dad? I've had a DNA test on ancestry done and Rose's mother was definitely Mary Ann Rogers.

My family did live at 4/44 King Edwards Road as that was the address on the death certificate for Rose.

I would love to find out when she was born. When she married John 25/12/1919 she was 24. and the 1921 census says she was listed as 26, and 43 when she died in 1938, so we have 1895 as the year born.

Thank you so much again x

Something appears to be not straightforward then.

The witnesses are possibly Rose's brother and sister in law. However, I think her siblings' father was a Thomas Henry Field.

There are birth reg. for Rose's siblings but not Rose (as a Field). In 1901 Rose is with her mother (Mary Ann) and siblings and the mother is listed as a widow but Thomas is possibly still alive in 1911.

So it may be that she is the daughter of Mary Ann with an unknown father, and her siblings are only half siblings.
I had never even thought of that? Another avenue to look at now. thank you x

I would love to find out when she was born. When she married John 25/12/1919 she was 24. and the 1921 census says she was listed as 26, and 43 when she died in 1938, so we have 1895 as the year born.

With no obvious birth registration and sadly dying before the 1939 Register you might struggle. Maybe school records (if there are any) would have it but not sure and you'd have to find out which school(s) she went to.

The ages that you have are at least consistent so 1895 seems a good bet.

I've being trying to work out the connection between the George and Charlotte Field (marriage witnesses) to Rose Field and despite him being George Francis rather than George Henry I think he has to be her brother.

There doesn't appear to be a George Francis who it could be and when he marries Charlotte Walker (1910) his father appears to be listed as Thomas. Not sure if other details match.

Also in 1921 Mary Ann Field (mother) appears to be a boarder of Arthur Walker, Charlotte's brother, and they are living at 5 back 141 St Vincent's Street, the address given on Rose's marriage.

Why George Henry became George Francis I don't know.

Rose's (half ?) siblings...

Albert b1893 - no birth reg. so may not be Thomas Henry's son also. With James in 1911.

Elizabeth, Agnes And James all had children. Agnes possibly died quite young also in 1928.
Do we know when Thomas Henry died? Alive in 1891 but by 1901 Mary Ann is a widow

I couldn't find a likely death. At first I thought he might've still been alive and on the 1911 census but that's probably someone else.

With no obvious birth registration and sadly dying before the 1939 Register you might struggle. Maybe school records (if there are any) would have it but not sure and you'd have to find out which school(s) she went to.

The ages that you have are at least consistent so 1895 seems a good bet.
I'm not sure we will ever find out - I'll keep looking though. x

I've being trying to work out the connection between the George and Charlotte Field (marriage witnesses) to Rose Field and despite him being George Francis rather than George Henry I think he has to be her brother.

There doesn't appear to be a George Francis who it could be and when he marries Charlotte Walker (1910) his father appears to be listed as Thomas. Not sure if other details match.

Also in 1921 Mary Ann Field (mother) appears to be a boarder of Arthur Walker, Charlotte's brother, and they are living at 5 back 141 St Vincent's Street, the address given on Rose's marriage.

Do we know when Thomas Henry died? Alive in 1891 but by 1901 Mary Ann is a widow
no we don't - which again is making things difficult. x

I'd not even noticed his name had changed - thank you .

1714485541531.png
Witness - brother James ?

Back