• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Cottages, Highgate Road

sistersue61

master brummie
Woul anyone have any pics of Rose Cottages, where moms mom and grandparents lived. I am trying to put some pics with the family history.
I may be asking for more later!!
Thanks,
Sue

Sue

I'm afraid that the Germans blasted a new face on to Highgate Road during the last war and even though I don't believe Rose cottages were demolished until the 60's I still have no photo. I know that the houses that fronted Rose cottages were bombed because I used to play on the bomb site as a child.

The only thing that was ever built on the land was a garage but that closed after a few years and that was demolished. I have a photo of that which I will post. I know that Mikejee took a lot of photos down Highgate Rd in the late 60's and 70's perhaps he can help you out. Before the war Rose Cottages were between 130 & 132 after the war those numbers didn't exist. I can show you a photo that may have been the frontages and will give you an idea of the sort of property.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Highgate Rd Highbrook SS 1963 .jpg
    Sparkbrook Highgate Rd Highbrook SS 1963 .jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Sparkbrook Highgate Road Bomb Damage.jpg
    Sparkbrook Highgate Road Bomb Damage.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 63
Thanks both, will show mom the pics, she thought they were there until the late 50s. Her grandparents were there until they died, my nan and grandad moved to Vincent Street with mom and the family, but were bombed out from there in 1939, mom can remember seeing one of her toys on top of the rubble of the house after the bombing. They had an Anderson shelter that they were in when the bomb landed luckily.
Sue

Sue

Oddly enough my grandparents lived in Vincent Street, only 3 doors away from where one of the bombs landed. My other grandparents lived in Larches St just over the road from Highgate Rd.

Phil, what were your grandparents names? My Aunty is 15 years older than mom, so she remembers a lot more about Rose Cottages and Vincent street, she may have known them - she often finds that the mention of a nome triggers all sorts of memories for her, which mom tries to scribble down for me during their twice weekly phone calls!
Sue

Sue

Their names were Anne & Percy Houghton they lived at number 83 it was the only one of a pair of houses in the street that had a front garden that was raised above street level and had steps leading up to it. They lived there until the mid 70's when it was demolished.

My Mum was born in No. 1 Rose Cottages in 1924 -- her parents were Alice and Harry Wilkins -- I'd be interested in any info anyone has on the houses and the area, too.
Thanks,
Keith

Hi all, I was born in Birmingham but migrated to Australia as a child in 1969 with my family. I am an avid ancestry researcher and found that my Great Grandfather Benjamin Mitchell, my Great Grandmother Kate Mitchell and my Grandfather Charles Mitchell lived at number 5 Rose Cottages :)

My Mum was born in No. 1 Rose Cottages in 1924 -- her parents were Alice and Harry Wilkins -- I'd be interested in any info anyone has on the houses and the area, too.
Thanks,
Keith
Hi Keith, I actually lived in chestnut place which was in front of rose cottages, rose cottages as I remember were a 2 up 2 down terraced arrangement, no bathrooms and the loos were outside in a block of 4 at the end of the row of cottages, there was 2 rows of these and both rows had back and front gardens.
During the ww11 the houses to one side of the cottages were bombed leaving an empty space, later an Esso petrol station was built but was demolished after only a few years.
If you'd like to know more about the area etc please contact me.
Richard.

Hi all, I was born in Birmingham but migrated to Australia as a child in 1969 with my family. I am an avid ancestry researcher and found that my Great Grandfather Benjamin Mitchell, my Great Grandmother Kate Mitchell and my Grandfather Charles Mitchell lived at number 5 Rose Cottages :)
Do you know the name of the people who lived in rose cottages and had a 3 wheeled car called a Bond Buggy I think they lived at number 4,

Richard

Do you know the name of the people who lived in rose cottages and had a 3 wheeled car called a Bond Buggy I think they lived at number 4,

Richard
They lived at no5 and there name was mr and mrs Renolds he also had a BSA motorbike, I went on the back with him many times

Back