• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Cottage - Help Please.

Sorry Bob, Senior Moment!! I had marked the buildings on the map but forgot to attach it. I find this area really interesting and it's good to have someone who feels the same. I believe that the Greyhound has been there for many years although the present building looks to be Victorian. I don't want to stray into too much discussion about the pub on this thread but must look into it more when the libraries open again. To confirm, red = Foden's & green = barracks. However, I don't know exactly where Rose Cottage was as Linzee says that it was directly opposite the college lodge. I shall take a drive down there later today and see what's what.
The Barracks are the cottages that I always knew, but for the life of me I cannot remember what was on the left hand side (going to New Oscott) of Chester Road and yet I passed it very school day from 1940 to 1947. And yet from Lakehouse Road to the Yenton and beyond, I can still see the houses and gardens and even smell the privet hedges.

Bob

The Barracks are the cottages that I always knew, but for the life of me I cannot remember what was on the left hand side (going to New Oscott) of Chester Road and yet I passed it very school day from 1940 to 1947. And yet from Lakehouse Road to the Yenton and beyond, I can still see the houses and gardens and even smell the privet hedges.

Bob

Bob, the building may have come down long before your time as I don't remember it either. I can only remember the horses (or were they donkeys?) in a large field at the corner. I do remember some cottages further along there between Foden's and Lake House but they have gone and been replaced with new cottages. The smell of privet flowers takes me to Court Lane just before Somerset Road on my way to Sunday School on a hot afternoon.

Linzee posted this postcard of Rose Cottage some time ago and I wondered if anyone could make the background a little clearer please? We are particularly interested in the gabled buildings behind the poplars as this may be Foden's Buildings which have come up in some other research but anything will help. There was quite a little hamlet there but all this is now under New Oscott Village. Many thanks.
My 3x Gt Grandparents James Jackson and Fanny Jackson nee Brittain lived in Rose Cottage after marrying 0n 22 Dec1855 according to my 2xGt Aunt's Diary. I believe they moved prior to her birth in August 1858.

Back