• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Cottage - Help Please.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Linzee posted this postcard of Rose Cottage some time ago and I wondered if anyone could make the background a little clearer please? We are particularly interested in the gabled buildings behind the poplars as this may be Foden's Buildings which have come up in some other research but anything will help. There was quite a little hamlet there but all this is now under New Oscott Village. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Rose Cottage postcard.JPG
    Rose Cottage postcard.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 76
Linzee posted this postcard of Rose Cottage some time ago and I wondered if anyone could make the background a little clearer please? We are particularly interested in the gabled buildings behind the poplars as this may be Foden's Buildings which have come up in some other research but anything will help. There was quite a little hamlet there but all this is now under New Oscott Village. Many thanks.
Was Fodens Buildings what we used to call the Barracks where the Chipmans lived and kept their donkeys (the Sutton Park ones) in the field between the lane they lived in and Chester Road> You accessed their houses down a lane off Court Lane opposite the College Lodge.

Bob

Lady P - this appears to be a painting, not a photograph, so there is no detail other than what you can see. I've lightened a few areas but I don't think that will help you. John

Rose Cottage postcard.JPG

Thanks jukebox. I don't think it's a painting I think it has been coloured by hand and it's a photograph of a card in an album so not the best resolution.

Bob, Foden's Buildings were on Chester Road and I believe the Barracks were, as you say, off a lane leading from Court Lane which I think was nearer to The Greyhound.

Thanks jukebox. I don't think it's a painting I think it has been coloured by hand and it's a photograph of a card in an album so not the best resolution.

Bob, Foden's Buildings were on Chester Road and I believe the Barracks were, as you say, off a lane leading from Court Lane which I think was nearer to The Greyhound.
Thanks

Thanks Two. I'm now going to try to put Rose Cottage on the map and suss out the orientation. I have just worked out the whole of the 1911 census for this area as they don't set out the route on this one as they do on all the others. Took me a long time!

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Thanks Two. I'm now going to try to put Rose Cottage on the map and suss out the orientation. I have just worked out the whole of the 1911 census for this area as they don't set out the route on this one as they do on all the others. Took me a long time!
Lady P, did you find Rose Cottage on the 1911 census, if not I have found a reference to it?

Was Fodens Buildings what we used to call the Barracks where the Chipmans lived and kept their donkeys (the Sutton Park ones) in the field between the lane they lived in and Chester Road> You accessed their houses down a lane off Court Lane opposite the College Lodge.

Bob
Hi Bob, This is an update on Foden's Buildings. I was helping our archivist at St Michael's with some information on this part of the area and spent a long time working out exactly where the buildings were. On the pictures of Rose Cottage you can see a row of gables just behind the poplar trees. These were Foden's Buildings and would have been on Chester Road, just as we thought. We both arrived at the same conclusion using different records so we know it's right.

Would Foden’s Buildings be associated with the Foden family that features in the epic thread “Children of William Foden” ?

I keep meaning to have a look at that thread Pedro but so far haven't got round to it. I will definitely try to find a link. It's such an unusual name that it must have some connection but I remember trying to find out why two men were called Casper Hewkin and had to go back a very long way to find one (1700's).

Foden’s Buildings are mentioned as early as 1874.

Fodens of New Oscott, mentioed with prizes in Flower Shows...
1908-1924 George
1912 W
1915 I
1921 T
1927 Mrs W Foden of Perry Common Farm

I think I've pinned down :
1908-1924 is George Frederick (1863-1927) of Gainsborough Hill Farm
1915 is Isaac of Perry Barr Common Farm (1911-1923)

I don't know enough about the others ...

I'm guessing the flower shows took place there. The Fodens were farmers and market gardeners. I don't know who the buildings belonged to though or what the address is.

More guessing :
There seems to be newspaper articles advertising the sale of buildings thru Miss Jane Chamberlain, Fodens Bldgs, Erdington in the 1870's, so business was carried out from that address.
In 1905, Thomas Clayton, spring fitter of Fodens Blgds, New Oscott, is charged with cruelty towards his wife & children. The NEIGHBOURS informed her relatives & she was moved to hospital for treatment.
It looks as though the buildings were transformed into dwellings.

Yes Pedrocut, It could certainly have been a row of cottages belonging to the nearest farm and destined for their farm workers. In that case we would have to know which was the farm and who was the tenant.

I tried to find something on Miss Jane Chamberlain who used the address Fodens Bldgs in the 70's

In 1881, Enoch Chamberlain b1821 in Birmingham, lives with wife & family & daughter Jane in Abbey Street district.
He is a Tinplate worker and employs 3 males and 25 females in the business including most of his children.
Could it be that he bought the Fodens buildings as housing for his workers?

Strangely, in the 1851 census they live in St Georges in other buildings : the Mc Donalds bldgs.
Were there many of these types of buildings in Birmingham?

ROSE COTTAGE
Rose Cottage, Erdington, 5 rooms ground floor, five sleeping rooms, vinery, greenhouses ... near Railway station
Birmingham Daily post 6-9-1865
Joseph Burton, Landscape gardener, Rose Cottage,
Birmingham Daily Gazette 15-5-1868
Seed shop + greenhouse to let, with cottage & large garden. Apply Rose Cottage, Erdington
Birmingham Daily Gazette 18-7-1870

ROSE FARM, Erdington, furnished apartments to let, close to railway station. Birmingham Daily Gazette 17-9-1867

Could it be that 'Fodens buildings' were attached to Rose Cottage / Rose Farm ?
Is anything more known about Rose Cottage before 1911?

Back