• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose and crown..hospital/brearley st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
rose and crown.. dated 1961

lyn:)

Attachments

• Newtown Rose & Crown Brearley  St.jpg
    Newtown Rose & Crown Brearley St.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 37
Thats a good picture Lyn - is this a pub that was demolished? What has happened to the house where the cars are parked round the corner - bomb damage? You can still see the fireplace halfway up the wall.
Polly :)

hi polly.. that one is from my private collection..had to pay for the good quality of it...yes i would imagine the gap was caused by bomb damage... ive posted this before too but this is the rose and crown after bomb damage..it was then repaired and re opened..demolished around the middle 60s

lyn

Last edited:
Great picture Lyn,i would guess the licencee at this time was Kenneth Ironmonger.
Moss.

harold edward fowler was the licencee when this was taken moss...coronation celebrations outside the rose and crown...1953..think i have posted this before...

pic courstesy of carl chinn...

Attachments

• Aston Brealey St Rose & Crown.jpg
    Aston Brealey St Rose & Crown.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 12
Morning Lyn, I wonder why they put that little window in, probably a toilet or small cupboard.
Brilliant photo.

morning john..:).do you know i have looked at that pic many times and failed to notice the tiny window....

thanks ray...pity its not there anymore...survives the the bombs and then the powers that be knock it down....:redface:

lyn

Lyn,
Look at the two photo's together,what wonderful restoration work,a bricklayer who could blend that brickwork was a craftsman.
And as you say so many buildings could have been saved,with just a little foresight,and the use of skilled men.

thing is ray..they repaired this pub only to demolish it not that many years later:( and to build what???? well i know what they built on the exact spot where the rose and crown stood....flat roofed houses and they are all coming down soon...bet the pub would still be there if left alone...o well...so much for progress:redface:

ps...now youve started me off this early in the morning...:cry:

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,
You clearly share my very healthy disregard for all authority.:)
Now we have these same city fathers,telling us to recycle...like they invented it.:(
When this restoration work was done,the men on the job must have spent a lot of time,cleaning the mortar off the damaged bricks,so they could be used again...that's recycling.:)

Sorry to have "started you off"...go on have a rant...i love it when you get angry.:):):)

ray...what i dont understand is that in the 60s the powers that be clearly were not blessed with the foresight of preserving some of our history for the future...all they wanted to do was to clear the slum houses... throw up cheap jerry built housing sweeping aside all in the their path and to hell with preservation....and the ironic thing is???? what they built is now all coming down.....so to my mind any historical buildings brum has got left was all built many many years ago as todays rubbish will never stand the test of time...they are never left standing long enough to be of historical interest to the future generations....just an example here...take the central library...that fine building should still be standing but instead it was replaced by the one we have now...now thats going and we are to get yet another new library...thats 2 in just over 50 years....my guess is that one wont last long either...no doubt the design will go out of fashion within 50 or so years...

right....im off for a cuppa now...

lyn:redface::redface:

Last edited:
I don't understand it either Lyn,could it be something to do with brown envelopes changing hands ???.:rolleyes:
Any way, me babby,it's a pity that a few people like you couldn't be on the "planning commitee"...but then, you are too honest,logical and you care about your home town.:):).

thanks for saying that ray its so kind of you...i only wish that maybe i myself had had the foresight many moons ago to maybe go down a different route career wise and help make a difference to the preservation of our buildings:( still thats another story...i best leave it at that now cos im in danger of going off thread again and i shall be getting a :headhit::headhit:

lyn:)

When you look at it, amazing , the bomb damage went all around the pub into the next street, but only damaged the one end.

john..one of our members was telling me that the pub stood fast and there was an L shaped bomb peck around it....amazing...

lyn

does anyone recall floss and charlie harrison who kept the rose and crown my dad tony was their son and he went to summer lane school,they had a dog that when charlie called time used to clear the pub for em

Shaun, I lived next door to the Rose and Crown until 1952 but sorry I cant remember your grandparents. Strangely my grans brother was a Charlie Harrison but as far as I know his wife was Annie.

my dad went to summer lane school 55-59 so they may have moved in just after,they also had the oak in aberdeen st,the heath st tavern,aswell as stirchley social club,will try and get the exact yr

Back