• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rosary Road Erdington Memories

here you go dennis taken this morning..very well kept church and grounds..

lyn

Attachments

• ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 006.JPG
    ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 006.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 005.JPG
    ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 005.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 004.JPG
    ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 004.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 003.JPG
    ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 003.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 002.JPG
    ALL SAINTS CHURCH GEORGE RD 002.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 20
Lyn,' you are the best, my wife and I thank you sooo much.. these pics. go straight to the family album, :);) good luck!

hi dennis happy to help...glad the photos are ok....just dont lose them this time :eek::)

by the way where are you living now ? and is the church special to your family...just being nosy:rolleyes:

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,We are in Adelaide Sth. Australia, been here since 1969, We were married in 1959 in All Saints church, from Doidge rd. which makes the church very special..saw the 'last Rellie'in 2004 .. I 'Will' treasure the pics. Thanks again!!

oh thats great dennis..in that case when the chance arises and the church is open i will try and get some inside shots for you and the wife..

all the best
lyn

here you go dennis taken this morning..very well kept church and grounds..

lyn
I used to attend "Sunday school" at that church, but i still managed to grow up an athiest. The church grounds were a useful short cut to school, that was back in the day when kids walked to school.

Smudger. Yep! I also went the short cut behind the church to school, mostly late and running not walking, did you remember Mr Jones the English teacher and The 'fearsome 'Mrs. Griffiths the music teacher :eek:,Cheers

Smudger. Yep! I also went the short cut behind the church to school, mostly late and running not walking, did you remember Mr Jones the English teacher and The 'fearsome 'Mrs. Griffiths the music teacher :eek:,Cheers
Dr. Trevor Haydn Jones was my favourite teacher. He had a way of making things interesting, even biblical stories. He didn`t read from the bible which would have been a big turn off for most, but he explained parts from the bible as if he were telling a story. Lovely man, even if he did tell me i had a terible singing voice! When i skived a day off school & i would bring in a forged apology note from my mom, he would look at you as if to say, "You`ve been fishing in Brookvale park again" As for Mrs Griffiths, i can`t place her. Was she teaaching in the Juniors & did she "spittle" when talking to you? Mr Clarke was headmaster & a nasty bully. He hurt me badly one day & my uncle went to the school & gave hime a taste of his own medicine. Creeps like him wouldn`t be allowed to teach these days.

Hi Smudger, I was never on full names with Mr Jones but liked him, and yes Clarke was a nasty(Head) Marching! into class after sliding right down into the cycle shed was a great pass time, if you could get there early enough?
Probably too dangerous now:eek: catcha..;)

Re: Rosary Road - Erdington

Hi Smudger,
This brings back memories. I lived in Abbey Road and used to go the outdoor to get mom a syphon of Soda. I also used to go to the Speedway with a girl, June Poole,
who lived just up the left side of Rosary Road. Whilst in the RAF in 1950 I read in the Mail she had gone touring the USA on her BSA bantam motorbike. I often wonder what happened to her. Anyone know?

Hi
just noticed this old post. June was my aunt, after travelling around Canada and usa with 2 other girls on their motorbikes she finally settled in Florida, married twice, had 2 girls and worked at Miami university in nuclear medicine and passed away 2010. Brenda married and lived in West Bromwich had 1 boy and passed 2013. My mum, Eunice married dad, David Giles(also my name) had myself and sister Sandra and lived in Neville rd until 7 years ago when they moved into New Oscott village. My dad passed away last year but mum is still there. They lived at 95 Rosary rd and mum often talks about the good times growing up there but she hated the war time. I have many happy memories growing up in Neville rd, playing in Brookvale park, fishing, sailing on the lake, water skiing, putting, tennis. My parents met whilst working at the GEC and every sat dad would take my sister and me to watch the football there as he used to play for them. Many happy memories. Hope you get this.
Cheers David

Hi David. Thanks for your reply which came as lovely surprise, particularly giving all the details.
You speaking of Neville Road, during the war a pal or mine lived in Neville Road. One day he didn't come to school
and we all wondered what had happened. Next day he came in to tell us a bomb had dropped in front of their
air raid shelter and they could not get out, it had sealed them in. About that time we had a large tree behind our garden
and the Anderson shelter was underneath it. One night we heard the whistling of a bomb coming down and then a crackling
noise which we could not understand. Dad went out 10 minutes later but could see nothing. Next morning, searching for
shrapnel which we used to take to school to see who had the bigget piece, I looked behind the shelter and there was a bomb laying down. Never run so fast in my life !!

Hi David. Thanks for your reply which came as lovely surprise, particularly giving all the details.
You speaking of Neville Road, during the war a pal or mine lived in Neville Road. One day he didn't come to school
and we all wondered what had happened. Next day he came in to tell us a bomb had dropped in front of their
air raid shelter and they could not get out, it had sealed them in. About that time we had a large tree behind our garden
and the Anderson shelter was underneath it. One night we heard the whistling of a bomb coming down and then a crackling
noise which we could not understand. Dad went out 10 minutes later but could see nothing. Next morning, searching for
shrapnel which we used to take to school to see who had the bigget piece, I looked behind the shelter and there was a bomb laying down. Never run so fast in my life !!
Thanks for the reply, I feel its important my generation and younger learn more of what went on back then. Mum often tells of when in the Anderson shelter her dad thought the bombing had stopped and went up the steps to check and one came down, throwing him across the shelter. Luckily he was ok but the bomb had landed in Doidge rd killing some who lived there. During the war they had an evacuee staying with them, also called Eunice. Mum and her sisters were due to be evacuated and were on the bus waiting to go when her mum saw them crying and got them off.

Back