• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rorke's drift

johnedward

master brummie
A very long shot but my wife finds her great grndfather was a survivor of rorke's drift via a welsh regiment does anyone out there know of any relatives in their family who may have been there

regards

john

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although not a direct reply found this snippet on a website which may explain things to those, like myself, who thought they were all Welshmen![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once again, the film 'Zulu' makes a point of suggesting that the 24th Regiment, and in particular 'B' Company, was mainly Welsh. In fact, the Welsh constituted only 11% of the 24th. Regt. at Rorke's Drift. Although the regiment was then based in Brecon in South Wales and called the 24th. Regiment of Foot (later to be the South Wales Borderers), it was formerly the Warwickshire Regiment. Many of the defenders had never been to Brecon. [/FONT]

My wife's great grandfather, Joseph Green, born in Well Street, St Georges, Birmingham in 1840. Later lived near Vauxhall Gardens in Duddeston, where the baracks were. Became a Sergent in the South Wales Borderers, who fought at Rorke's Drift. We are not sure whether Joseph fought there. The South Wales Borders were based in Brecon where he finally settled and died. This coloured photograph of him now belongs to the regimental museum in Brecon

Doing my family tree at the moment, and there is a John Jobbins mentioned as being at Rorke's Drift. I've yet to see if this is a relation, still working on the London side of the Jobbins clan, but there does seem to be the chance as I've been told that there is a Welsh link to our family. One of the best sites is www.rorkesdriftvc.com which has a list of all defenders of Rorke's drift and much more.

Back