• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rorke’s Drift and the Warwickshire regiment

That's helpful Michael. My wife was born in Brecon, her great grandfather was a sergeant in the 24th Regiment of foot at Brecon, who were at Rourkes drift. In the article it says they were later to become the South Wales Boarderers, which I knew. What I didn't know is that they were originally a Warwickshire regiment. Which clears up a puzzle - how did he end up in a Welsh regiment? The great grandfather was actually born in Birmingham, in Duddeston in the early eighteen hundreds. He lived near the barracks at Vauxhall Gardens.

Thanks for your reply Michael. Pleased that its helped you out, Although I have discovered the link was already on the forum, never mind, Do you know where at Vauxhall gardens, the barracks was ,wonder if it was the site of the co,op dairy where the fire brigade HQ now is all the best Michael

That's helpful Michael. My wife was born in Brecon, her great grandfather was a sergeant in the 24th Regiment of foot at Brecon, who were at Rourkes drift. In the article it says they were later to become the South Wales Boarderers, which I knew. What I didn't know is that they were originally a Warwickshire regiment. Which clears up a puzzle - how did he end up in a Welsh regiment? The great grandfather was actually born in Birmingham, in Duddeston in the early eighteen hundreds. He lived near the barracks at Vauxhall Gardens.

Michael, I think the barracks you mention, was for Cavalry regiments, and would have had no connection to the Warwickshire's

Nick

Back