• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Withers Rope Brush Manufacturing

So Edwin Withers had a good start in life. His late father is referred to in the list of marriages in Aris's Gazette of March 1829, showing the marriage of S Vallant to his only daughter Elizabeth.

The first reference to tenements at 14 and 15 is interesting as J Watts had established a company in 1839 and traded from 14 Snow Hill in 1874. The Tobacco, Snuff and Cigar Manufactury Steam mills and termed Great Western Cigar Stores, James Watts. He acquired number 15 in 1875, but seems to disappear after 1879. (In 1843 No.14 is down as T Watts, Publication and Printing Office.)

In 1880 No.14 is advertised to Let as Egyptian Hall and could be used for lectures and services, capable of seating between 600 and 700 people. By 1882 it was the Egyptian Hall Billiards.

1883 Kelly, No.14 Egyptian Hall and John Clarkson, tobacconist. No.15 Birmingham Coffee House Ltd.

So did Edwin Withers obtain these properties some time around 1879? The term tenements suggests that there were apartments, but I can’t find reference as yet.
Brilliant work, greatly appreciated. Will go over it tomorrow.
I did see one reference that he sold tea as well as tobacco from Cheapside. Will check in morning.

My father worked for a Co called I Think Lengs in Balsall Heath
They were BRUSH makers The building backed on to the River Rea
Just after the war Mr Leng made me a Crystal Set.

Lengs in 1921 are listed as in Sherbourne Road in Balsall Heath, and , though close to the Rea, is the other side of longmore St. Later, in the 1930s, the factory is in Fordhouse Lane in Stirchley, where it does seem to be next to the Rea

Mike,in about 1947-48 when I visited my father at Lengs the shop where he worked looked out over the River Rea

Could it possibly have been in Stirchley? Or, although the firm is listed only there in later years, they also maintained another place in Balsall Heath which was not listed in Kellys as it was no the main address. I have seen that on occasion

Mike,as a6-7 year old living in Vauxhall I remember catching the CITY Circle bus and going towards Balsall Heath .Dont think I would have Ventured to Stirchley .Dont think I knew were it was.

Also on the 1837 marriage certificate Edwin is shown at Albion Street, but in the 1841 Census he is at Ravenhurst Street with his wife and 2 children. (The beginning of his property accumulation?). At that time he is described as a Tobacconist. In 1843 there is a Messrs Withers and Co. Tobacconists at 7 Worcester St and 93 Smallbrook St. (Who were the other Withers involved?)
I suspect the 1843 Tobacconists in 93 Smallbrook were Edwin and perhaps his nephew Samuel. Edwin had no brother in his life, but his uncle's surviving son could have been the one, especially as the nephew Samuel inherited the family tailoring business at 93 Smallbrook. The 1843 reference to Worcester St is news. I had him down as a tobacconist at Cheapside. He could afford to buy the business as his uncle Samuel left the whole of his estate to Edwin - all Samuel's children, including his son and Edwin's nephew Samuel, predeceased him. The uncle died in 1820 at Edgbaston; the son and nephew Samuel died in 1834 - "I give devise and bequeath unto my nephew Edwin Withers of Birmingham aforesaid Gentleman all my lands..."

Edwin Wither’s father, according to his marriage certificate in 1837, was Edward Weston Withers and described as an artist. There is a mention in 1829 of a chap of that name and described as a Gentleman from Edgbaston.
Hi Pedrocut
Please could you elaborate a little on this 1829 mention - it could be the only other reference to him in existence!
Cheers

In 1877 Edwin disposed of the business to Messrs Withers Brothers of 50 Great Hampton Street, and probably retired to Granville House. (Shown above). The brothers went into liquidation in 1882.
Hi Pedrocut
I've tried to follow up your comment that the brothers went into liquidation 1882, but without success. Could you supply the source for that information, please?

The two brothers who took over the rope business in 1877 were William Edward (1830-1912, the first born son), and Henry Augustus (1862-1917) the fourth son who joined the army in World War 1.
Thanking you
David

Re Edwin Withers.
One other annoying snippet, is that somewhere (can't now find where) Edwin was selling ‘snuff, cigars and tea’ either from Worcester St or 122 Cheapside. Spent most of today checking the Directories in Ancestry and FMP, but no joy. I know I've seen it somewhere, but failed to make a note of the source.

In the 1841 Census he gave two locations and one occupation: ‘Tobacconists at 17 Worcester St and 93 Smallbrook St.’ By 1850 (aged 45) he expanded to include ‘snuff, cigars and tea’ from Cheapside as well as rope and twine manufacturing. By the Census of 1851 (aged 46) he had moved to 49 Nursery Tce.

As always your assistance is appreciated

Hi Pedrocut
I've tried to follow up your comment that the brothers went into liquidation 1882, but without success. Could you supply the source for that information, please?

The two brothers who took over the rope business in 1877 were William Edward (1830-1912, the first born son), and Henry Augustus (1862-1917) the fourth son who joined the army in World War 1.
Thanking you
David

Glasgow Herald, September.

EC576E54-F4DB-40A5-93D8-B0B424BC6ADB.jpeg

Back