• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Withers Rope Brush Manufacturing

Re Edwin Withers.
One other annoying snippet, is that somewhere (can't now find where) Edwin was selling ‘snuff, cigars and tea’ either from Worcester St or 122 Cheapside. Spent most of today checking the Directories in Ancestry and FMP, but no joy. I know I've seen it somewhere, but failed to make a note of the source.

In the 1841 Census he gave two locations and one occupation: ‘Tobacconists at 17 Worcester St and 93 Smallbrook St.’ By 1850 (aged 45) he expanded to include ‘snuff, cigars and tea’ from Cheapside as well as rope and twine manufacturing. By the Census of 1851 (aged 46) he had moved to 49 Nursery Tce.

As always your assistance is appreciated

Hi Pedrocut
I've tried to follow up your comment that the brothers went into liquidation 1882, but without success. Could you supply the source for that information, please?

The two brothers who took over the rope business in 1877 were William Edward (1830-1912, the first born son), and Henry Augustus (1862-1917) the fourth son who joined the army in World War 1.
Thanking you
David

Glasgow Herald, September.

EC576E54-F4DB-40A5-93D8-B0B424BC6ADB.jpeg

Back