• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rootes Birmingham

I used to have a Sunbeam Rapier H120 with Gull Wings...How I loved that car....1st car I owned...Reg No 999 FOF...Now how is that for a Number???
Passed my Test after 6 lessons and got into it and drove all the way to Sutton Coldfield on my own with no Dash Lights...Scary...
I think it was the 1st Production model with "Overdrive"...
Brian.

I also worked at the Rootes factory on Cov rd, I was in the cost accounting dept. this was in the early 50s before I left for the USA. Rode my bike every day from Moat Lane Yardley to the factory in all kinds of good and BAD weather. John Crump OlBrit in Sunny Cold Parker.Colorado USA

I only remember it being what I said in my last Thread..Sorry...But from what I can remember from the folks I worked with I think..And only think it was Originally called "Singer".
Brian.

thanks cregoe kid will look forward to that..

lyn
Going to visit my sister in Brum next month, lived in a number of places over the years, but always look on going to Brum as going home, visiting the Classic Motor Show at the NEC whilst i'm there then back to Cornwall.

Going to visit my sister in Brum next month, lived in a number of places over the years, but always look on going to Brum as going home, visiting the Classic Motor Show at the NEC whilst i'm there then back to Cornwall.

thats great do hope you enjoy your trip back home..i love to hear it when people say that even though they have moved from brum its still close to their hearts..

lyn

its long gone theres an asda on the site now, i worked there from 77 till 83 it moved to coventry as peugeot purchased it

My father used to work here too in the Parts Division, Cliff Sumner.......anyone remember him? He ended his working days (as a Distribution manager?) in Brum. I worked there too as a temp in 1976. Lunch used to be in "The Good Companions" pub as I recall ;-) All eons ago now eh!

I worked in Rootes IT department 1969. If I remember correctly Cliff Sumner was head of IT. I didnt stay long, Rootes way of working didnt suit me and I didnt suit Rootes. My previous company heard I wasnt happy and offered me my old job back.

Hi Tony, yes I remember the computer block where he used to work....especially the awful coffee machine! Still punch cards then if I remember ok. He was always off to work on Saturday mornings to fix something that had gone belly up there. Cliff retired early in the 80's when lots of guys were being made redundant and he chose to go with them.

Yes I remember the data preparation department at Rootes. Large department of ladies on the top floor of the Computer block all producing cards and paper tape. This is another occupation that has disappeared and good riddance to it. Must have been boring. The Computer there had one disc drive and in those days had to be maintained by and engineer that used a wooden stick with a lint free cloth attached soaked in fluid to clean the surface. Talk about primitive. Got out of there as soon as I could.

It was indeed a Rootes Factory...In fact, the only Rootes Factory that was in Birmingham...
There were 4 Advertising Slogans on the top of the Building that read "Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam, Singer"....(Not sure whether I got them in the right order)
I worked next door at George Heath Motors....Our Building was to the left of the photo and the Rootes Social Club was to the right.
Used to go to "Bedders" for Lunch....Best Chipshop on the Planet...
At the time I lived in Newbridge Road which was a 15 minutes walk to work...
I think I have some old Photos of the Rootes Building...Will need to go and dig in the "Archives" for them!!!!!
Brian
Was this where George Heath's had their massive spares department? I went there once in the 1970s. It was definitely on Coventry Road.

I worked at ROOTES factory o the Coventry Road as a cost accountant in the 1950s Rode my bike their everyday rain or shine from Yardley, Humber Hillman parts.

Hi I’m looking for photos of Rootes Birmingham in Charllote Street, and Coventry Road Small Heath later known as George Heath Motors.

Ron
Hi, know this is going off track but there was a Rootes dealeship in Moseley. R E GREEN'S that was in the building next to W H Smith. My father worked there for 20 years and I believe the building used to be used to stable the Birmingham Police mounted division's horses. indeed various brackets and rings remained on the walls.

My late father in law worked at Rootes on the Coventry Road. My husband had an Hillman imp he loved that car.

Back