• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rookery Road School (william Murdoch School)

SarahHolmes

master brummie
We found this picture of my dad (Michael Sydenham) at Rookery Road, we think in about 1958/9 when he was 15.

People he can remember from the picture are:

Mr Wickstead, Billy Leak, Robin weeway, ??? Hall. Does anyone else have any memories of Rookery road at this time?

my dad harry morrall went to rookery road school during the war
when he was alive he told me he hated school and would often bunk off only to be draged back by the wag man lol

Does anyone know if they have kept attendance records from the early part of the 20th century at Rookery Rd. School?
My mother and her brothers and sisters attended there then.
I'm sorry if this has been posted on the wrong thread.

Hi All
Rookery Road SM Boy's School ... any information re the connection to Scott Of Antartica there were large framed pictures of some of the members of the team on the walls ... My father was a pupil at the school and when he attended ... 1914- 1923 approx ... there was a silver? plate set in the floor of the hall commemorating Captain Oates ... could not find what the link was with him ... I attended from 1953 - 1957 and remember the War memorial with all the names of former pupils that were killed in both World Wars on the wall in the hall ... It was still there when I visited the school back in the early 90's ... The headmaster was Mr Millington when I attended .. teachers were Mr Kitchen ,Wickstead, Owen , Stevens/Stevenson .. Science Teacher Mr Franklin ther was also a woodwork teacher who's name I cannot remember , but should as he was one of only two that gave me a "stroke of the cane".
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich

Hi my Name is John Russell, my friends at the school at that time were Derek Jeavons (died not long ago bless him) Ray Diacoff, John Glue (sticky),Graham Farnell. Billy Leak was going out with my sister at the time and later married her, he now lives in USA and his next door neighbour is Clint Eastwood a few acres apart lol. the teachers I remember are Mr Wickstead, Mr Franklin, Mr Moore, Mr Stratford, Miss Evans, Mr Davis (dicky), Mr Harris.

Hello John, I am Richard (Dick) Dye.......Billy was a good friend of mine & I vaguely remember you. I also live in the USA, not close to Clint Eastwood :) Some other teacher, Mr McKnight, Mr Condick. Mr Meridith was our headmaster when I finished up. I stayed for a fifth year. We had two Peter Grangers, Michael Gee, Robert Stanford. I was in Boulton House

I hope you are still out there............My name is Richard (Dick) Dye and went to school with your Dad and live in the USA. For Teachers, Mr franklin, Mr McKnight, Mr Condick, Mr. Davies and Mr Toll. Our headmaster was Mr Meridith when I finished up. I stayed for a fifth year. Classmates, Robert Stanford, Michael Gee, two Peter Grangers, Brian Clarke, Bruce Woodcock, Michael Lee. let me know if your Dad is still around...............Hope this helps!

I hope you are still out there............My name is Richard (Dick) Dye and went to school with your Dad and live in the USA. For Teachers, Mr franklin, Mr McKnight, Mr Condick, Mr. Davies and Mr Toll. Our headmaster was Mr Meridith when I finished up. I stayed for a fifth year. Classmates, Robert Stanford, Michael Gee, two Peter Grangers, Brian Clarke, Bruce Woodcock, Michael Lee. let me know if your Dad is still around...............Hope this helps!

We found this picture of my dad (Michael Sydenham) at Rookery Road, we think in about 1958/9 when he was 15.

Mr Wickstead, Billy Leak, Robin weeway, ??? Hall. Does anyone else have any memories of Rookery road at this time?

I've been trying to trace an old friend of mine for some years now. I think she may have gone to Rookery Road School in the early to mid 50s. Her name was Jean Thomas and her Mom and Dad ran a fish and chip shop on Soho Road near the Regal. Anyone remember her?

Judy

I've been trying to trace an old friend of mine for some years now. I think she may have gone to Rookery Road School in the early to mid 50s. Her name was Jean Thomas and her Mom and Dad ran a fish and chip shop on Soho Road near the Regal. Anyone remember her?

Judy

Hello Judy............

I remember the fish 7 chip shop by the Regal. Stopped there to many times. The school was all boys until 1958. She might have been coming in then, I was in the fifth form when it became coed. Hope that helps!

Thanks Richard. It was just a vague guess that Jean might have gone to Rookery Road, but your information means that I can rule that out because Jean was working as a hairdresser in 1955/56. The alternative I suppose is Grove Lane! I put my question really in the hope that someone might have known Jean, who was a very pretty blonde!

Judy

Thanks Richard. It was just a vague guess that Jean might have gone to Rookery Road, but your information means that I can rule that out because Jean was working as a hairdresser in 1955/56. The alternative I suppose is Grove Lane! I put my question really in the hope that someone might have known Jean, who was a very pretty blonde!

Judy

Judy,

I think that Grove Lane must be the place and in 55/56 Rookery Rd was all boys. I did notice that!

Hi John my name is Jim Osborne, I attended both the primary school and senior school leaving aged 16 in 1962. The head master at the time was Mr Meredith. I also remember Mr Wickstead Mr Franklin Mr Harris Miss Davis(thought she was the bees knees
Miss Moll the art teacher and of course Dickie Davis. He took a few of us into Brum one night and we ended up in a amusment arcade full of teddy boys. An arm wrestling contest was going on and we persuaded Mr Davis to challenge the winner!! After a minute or two of the wrestle he asked us boys if it was time to bend the teddy boys arm back we all said yes and he duly bent it back with seemingly no effort at all! Lots of cheering before we all made a swift exit.
Saddened to learn of Derek Jeavons passing. He used to give me a lift to work on his Honda 250cc bike until one day he turned up on his new m/c - a 650cc Norton, the journey into West Bromwich gave me the fright of my life, from then on whenever I was standing at the bus stop and heard him roaring along I would hide in a shop window!! Not long after we moved to the senior school Derek and I were running between the buildings opposite the science and woodwork block, Derek unfortunately ran straight into Mr Wickstead who unfortunately for Derek was carrying a baseball bat! He ended up with a lump on the back of his head for days.
I read somone was wanting any history on Bruce Chesterman I remember dickie davies lodged with his family.
I have lived in Melbourne Australia for over 40 yrs but have managed to to come back many times always visiting all our old haunts in Handsworth seeing WBA play etc etc Would love to have access to any old school photos. Other people I remember are sticky glue,peter jones brian caley,brian dixon, raymond diacoff, margorie williams, joan langstraat. Have only just found this site, hope to make contact with anyone that remembers me. and would welcome any advise on how to access any photos
All the best Jim

People I remember

Hello Jim, my name is Richard Dye I attended until 1959 after finishing the fifth year.........I left B'Ham in 1962 for the US. I have lived there ever since. While traveling globally in my work I have only made it back a couple of times. Primarily because my mother and sister came to the US. My Dad passed away early when I was 19. It was not good for me so I had to move on. I have many fond memories of teachers and class mates that seem to get better every time I think of them. My wife is Italian American (classy lady) this year will be 43 years. Our plan is hopefully to spend a couple of weeks in and around Birmingham later this year or early next.

Thanks for the memories!

Hi,

I'm trying to find a photograph of a former pupil of this school called Neil 'Tommy' Marsh. He was sadly killed in the Birmingham Pub Bombings in Nov 1974.

The inquests into the deaths of the 21 fatal victims begins next week and I will be reporting on them for ITV News Central.

There are no family photos of Neil Marsh and his family tell me they have tried to locate one but without success. However they know he went to William Murdoch School. He was 17 when he was killed in 1974, so I guess he would have been at WM from about 1969-1973?

He was a black lad who originally came to Handsworth to join his parents from Jamaica.

Does anyone remember him? Better still does anyone have a school photo with him in it?

I'm on 07774 886397 or [email protected] if you think you can help. Or reply on here of course!

Many thanks,

Andy Bevan

Hi,

I'm trying to find a photograph of a former pupil of the above school called Neil 'Tommy' Marsh. He was sadly killed in the Birmingham Pub Bombings in Nov 1974.

The inquests into the deaths of the 21 fatal victims are under way and we are regularly reporting on them for ITV News Central.

There are no family photos of Neil Marsh and his family tell me they have tried to locate one but without success. However they know he went to William Murdoch School. He was 16 when he was killed in 1974, so I guess he would have been at WM from about 1969-1973?

He came to Handsworth to join his parents from Jamaica in the early 1960s.

Does anyone remember him? Better still does anyone have a school photo with him in it?

if you think you can help. Or reply on here via private message

Many thanks,

Andy Bevan

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Sarah......I knew your dad quite well! We were in the same class and finished as a 5 year senior in 1959! That was the first 5th year class & I might say a pretty good bunch.....

Hi All
Rookery Road SM Boy's School ... any information re the connection to Scott Of Antartica there were large framed pictures of some of the members of the team on the walls ... My father was a pupil at the school and when he attended ... 1914- 1923 approx ... there was a silver? plate set in the floor of the hall commemorating Captain Oates ... could not find what the link was with him ... I attended from 1953 - 1957 and remember the War memorial with all the names of former pupils that were killed in both World Wars on the wall in the hall ... It was still there when I visited the school back in the early 90's ... The headmaster was Mr Millington when I attended .. teachers were Mr Kitchen ,Wickstead, Owen , Stevens/Stevenson .. Science Teacher Mr Franklin ther was also a woodwork teacher who's name I cannot remember , but should as he was one of only two that gave me a "stroke of the cane".
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich
The woodwork teacher was Mr Condick……..You have great recall, I was there until 1959 in the first year of the five year program.

The school held its own horticultural show in March 1949.
2C9AE29D-D833-4EEB-A1E4-B0D57BA4E777.jpeg

And the Lord Mayor attended a party at the school in November 1967.

1C235E9A-102D-4FF4-8BBB-9A7F8B5D626A.jpeg

Hi All
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich
I was at Rookery road from 1955-57. took my 11+ there and went to George Dixon GS. T remember playing soccer in the playground and going over it to get the ball. I was accosted by an old man and the cops came to check it out. Fond memories of soccer and cricket, walking up Rookery rd to go to the playing fields. Sadly no names come to mind.

I was at Rookery road from 1955-57. took my 11+ there and went to George Dixon GS. T remember playing soccer in the playground and going over it to get the ball. I was accosted by an old man and the cops came to check it out. Fond memories of soccer and cricket, walking up Rookery rd to go to the playing fields. Sadly no names come to mind.
I was there Rookery & William Murdoch School until 1959. Teacher are as above, woodworking teacher was Mr Condick, math teacher was Mr Mcknight & Mr Kitchen, music & RI Mr Toll. Headmaster My Meridith. hope that helps!

Judy
Hi Judy, just read your question. If she went to the junior school as I did, you are not wrong. It was mixed. The only person I remember was a blonde Susan White. That was because when they did the attendance, we had to say our surname first and White Susan stuck in my memory!!

hi i went rookery road ,headmaster meridith,memories of mr franklin who these days would of been arrested a bully and john roe pe teacher who was arrested i hated every minute i was there and left at 15 some of my friends there david jones, errol panton,david childs who we still meet up today ,we all have done well for ourselves which is not due to the awfull education we got at rookery road

Hi John my name is Jim Osborne, I attended both the primary school and senior school leaving aged 16 in 1962. The head master at the time was Mr Meredith. I also remember Mr Wickstead Mr Franklin Mr Harris Miss Davis(thought she was the bees knees
Miss Moll the art teacher and of course Dickie Davis. He took a few of us into Brum one night and we ended up in a amusment arcade full of teddy boys. An arm wrestling contest was going on and we persuaded Mr Davis to challenge the winner!! After a minute or two of the wrestle he asked us boys if it was time to bend the teddy boys arm back we all said yes and he duly bent it back with seemingly no effort at all! Lots of cheering before we all made a swift exit.
Saddened to learn of Derek Jeavons passing. He used to give me a lift to work on his Honda 250cc bike until one day he turned up on his new m/c - a 650cc Norton, the journey into West Bromwich gave me the fright of my life, from then on whenever I was standing at the bus stop and heard him roaring along I would hide in a shop window!! Not long after we moved to the senior school Derek and I were running between the buildings opposite the science and woodwork block, Derek unfortunately ran straight into Mr Wickstead who unfortunately for Derek was carrying a baseball bat! He ended up with a lump on the back of his head for days.
I read somone was wanting any history on Bruce Chesterman I remember dickie davies lodged with his family.
I have lived in Melbourne Australia for over 40 yrs but have managed to to come back many times always visiting all our old haunts in Handsworth seeing WBA play etc etc Would love to have access to any old school photos. Other people I remember are sticky glue,peter jones brian caley,brian dixon, raymond diacoff, margorie williams, joan langstraat. Have only just found this site, hope to make contact with anyone that remembers me. and would welcome any advise on how to access any photos
All the best Jim

People I remember
Hello, I was looking online to try to find a student that attended the secondary school, and saw my grandmas name here. Miss Mol (now Mrs Richardson) the art teacher. She was searching for a Dansey Stewart, and jumped when I read out her name and said she remembered you. The mention of the memory of her name made her very happy. She wants me to say that she says hello and ask if you might remember a Dansey Stewart.

All the best Jim

People I remember
Hi Jim, I just found this thread and wondered if you remember me from Rookery Road Junior school. I was there from1955-57. We are the same age and am sure we were friends at that time before I left and went to George Dixon grammar school. I emigrated to Canada in 1967 and still live here. I am still a sad WBA fan, hoping for a better year next season. Would love to hear from you.

hi steve although jim is still a member he has not logged on since 2016 finger crossed he may see your message

could i also gives a heads up for any photos class or otherwise showing a pupil neil marsh who would have attended this school from about 1969 to 1973 ish....his family have no photographs of him...very sadly neil was a victim of the birmingham pub bombings...neil came to england from jamaica with his parents..does anyone know if this school still exists as they may have their own archives...thanks for any help

lyn

Last edited:
Back