• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rookery Road School Handsworth

Miss Smith's Class, Circa 1960

I was at William Murdoch School from 1959 to 1963. Would be interested to hear from anyone else. In this picture I recognise by name: Marjorie Williams, Sylvia Leake and Bruce Chesterman although I think I remember almost everyone in the picture.
hi remember you from the cubs at holy trinity then at rookery road ,my close friends david jones david childs errol panton will still meet up today,alan jarvis

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Firstly - Clive is no longer a member of the forum (hence the word "guest" under his avatar) so will be unable to reply unless he rejoins.
Secondly - we are advised not to post email addresses on open forum. If you wish to share with a member then you can click on their avatar, then "start conversation" which will allow you to share addresses just between the two of you.
You can edit your post if you wish to remove the email address.
Bottom left corner shows "edit"

Re: Rookery rd School, Photos Please

hello there my name was jeannette woodward...woodywoodpecker they called me i remember val millerchip, david jones, lee crumpmichael curry also the dance place opposite was it the plaza when the beatles came to practise before they were famous oooh my goodness memories oh yes and mr meredith was the headmaster ...lovely man
hi david jones i still meet up with today,but my memories of mr meredith ,mr franklin and john roe are not good memories,also liked the plaza on saturday nights,alan jarvis

hi david jones i still meet up with today,but my memories of mr meredith ,mr franklin and john roe are not good memories,also liked the plaza on saturday nights,alan jarvis
Hi I was in miss smiths class I remember Clive my Bessie mate was Ian withers and Ian "Ben" Cartwright so if anybody remembers me (Brian Shaw) I would be pleased to hear from you

I went to Rookery Road school for one term in September 1955 and went on a school trip to Paris with them at Easter 1956 even though I had left in the previous December. It was quite eye opening and enjoyable and I was the first in the family to go abroad except for Dad who had gone to Ireland for a fishing trip

mr meridith was the headmaster,lets put the record straight mr franklin would these days have been arrestested abully who liked to strike pupils mr john roe pe teacher who was arrested i am sure the boys will no why ,i still meet up with a few friends from school who have done very very well which is not down to the education from william murdoch

Last edited:
mr meridith was the headmaster,lets put the record straight mr franklin would these days have been arrestested abully who liked to strike pupils mr john roe who was arrested i am sure the boys will no why ,i still meet up with a few of friends from school who have done very very well which is not down to the education from william murdoch
I did not know John Roe but I had Mr Franklin for 5 years, he and Mr Wicksted were very formative and helpful in my career development.

Too right they were bullies I remember them having shortened canes which they used to carry down the inside of their trousers, I think their main problem was when it changed to a mixed school they just didn't know how to control them so they took it out on the boys instead

I was a pupil at Rookery Road infants and juniors from 1948 to 1954. I am afraid I don't really remember many names of the members of staff. I think there was a strict Miss Swift looking after the top class. I think my class teacher was a Mr Burton who was my favourite teacher at the time.

I still consider myself fortunate to have built up life long friendships who we still meet up with including my best man at our wedding who we went to stay with last week

Lovely to read all your wonderful comments, thank you for bringing back so many happy childhood memories

I was a pupil at Rookery Road infants and juniors from 1948 to 1954. I am afraid I don't really remember many names of the members of staff. I think there was a strict Miss Swift looking after the top class. I think my class teacher was a Mr Burton who was my favourite teacher at the time.

I still consider myself fortunate to have built up life long friendships who we still meet up with including my best man at our wedding who we went to stay with last week

Lovely to read all your wonderful comments, thank you for bringing back so many happy childhood memories
I remember Miss Swift in the Juniors, Mr Griffiths, Miss North (Music teacher) Mr Tibbett I think his name was....I cant remember names when I was n the infants there.. I was there from 1950- 1955 (I think) I went onto Handsworth Wood sec mod school for Girls in Church Lane, Miss Wheeler was Headmistress then.

Last edited:

I was at William Murdoch School from 1959 to 1963. Would be interested to hear from anyone else. In this picture I recognise by name: Marjorie Williams, Sylvia Leake and Bruce Chesterman although I think I remember almost everyone in the picture.
Possibly too late now but I was there in that class with those three, great times

Hi clive not too good with modern technology so I can't see the picture yes I remember you very well as we were in the same class all through school if you remember a scruffy little urchin (and probably not too wholesome!!) Then that was me (Brian Shaw)

Hi Alan That's Mr Davis, he also told us horror stories, he used walk round the class banging the desks if we played up lol, other teachers there were Mr Wickstead , Mr Franklin, Mr Harris, the first two were very strict, A year after I starte they let girls into the school and we had female teachers one I remember was Miss Evan we all lusted after her lol Oh and there was a MR Moore PE teacher, I wonder if there were any others there the same years as me
Hi I remember Mr. Moor also Mr Franklin ( I had the cane from him in the silence lab)

Hi I remember Mr. Moor also Mr Franklin ( I had the cane from him in the silence lab)
Ken, what years were you there? I was there 54 to 59, as a 5th former. I knew Mr. Moore (managed to break my left ankle in his PE class on the last day of school 58. Had the cast taken off three days before summer break ended). Mr. Franklin & Mr. Wickstead were two of my favorites.

My name is John Russell my mates at that school were Derek Jeavons (died not long ago god bless him) Ray Diacoff, John Glue (sticky) Graham Farnell, I had a crush on Sally Smith but she was going out with Johnny glue. I remember Diacoff asked wickstead one day in class if we could have the birds and bees lesson he said Diacoff you could teach us some things lol
Hi john my name is Ken ( Kenny) Birks I believe that we were in the same class please contacte
Regards Ken
My name is John Russell my mates at that school were Derek Jeavons (died not long ago god bless him) Ray Diacoff, John Glue (sticky) Graham Farnell, I had a crush on Sally Smith but she was going out with Johnny glue. I remember Diacoff asked wickstead one day in class if we could have the birds and bees lesson he said Diacoff you could teach us some things lol

Ken, what years were you there? I was there 54 to 59, as a 5th former. I knew Mr. Moore (managed to break my left ankle in his PE class on the last day of school 58. Had the cast taken off three days before summer break ended). Mr. Franklin & Mr. Wickstead were two of my favorites.
Hi I started in the Infants 1950 then the juniors finally to the seniors
Regards Ken

Hi John I was in the same year as you
Regards Ken

I did not know John Roe but I had Mr Franklin for 5 years, he and Mr Wicksted were very formative and helpful in my career development.
Hi, Johnny Roe had been a previous pupil at rookery rd, my oldest brother Kevin was there at the same time, the favourite trick then was to empty a couple of quids worth of gunpowder from the penny bangers into small wooden boxes and then with the aid of blue touch paper drop lighted box into the old galvanised bins and blow the lids sky high, it was one of these ventures that blew most of Johnny roe’s fingers off thumping the top on the wooden box ,I remember him using his “ claw” in the back of our necks if we messed about in his P E class

Franklin and Wicksteed were out and out bullies and roe wasn't much better we got our own back on him when we went camping and filled his running vest with air holes from an air rifle lol

This is a long shot but here goes, I attended (well most of the time) Rookery Road Secondary modern Handsworth, from 1960 to 1965, my question is does anyone have any photos of this school from around this time.

Many thanks, Premo (David)

Attachments

• 20210706_190804.jpg
    20210706_190804.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 9
Hi I’m not on this photo so can’t give you much information, I think it’s about 1960/61. The only faces I recognise are Melvyn Spalding, front row sitting to right of the teacher on photo, and Malcom Knight, 2nd row, 2nd from right.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 5
Back