• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rookery Road School Handsworth

HI MR PASTRY
Just ben reading your thread on handsworth school and learnt that your maths teacher was a mr kitchen and when i seen the name i emediatly though of a mr kitchen whom was the head master at ickneild street hockley and started to wonder if there was a connection
so i ad it slowly and lord and behold yes it as the same men mr kitchen and lean lookinking like an insect stick himself i may add
for some reason or another he did not like me and for some reason alway pulled me up and got the cane from him quite often my mother was always going on to see him he was a wicked bloke in the end i left the school and went some where else
if you go to the old school threads or it could be the old ladywood site there is a picture of him with ol joey wise hygiene teacher whom kids kept there distance from him because of his behavior habbits along with old urch another hard and deputy teacher for ickneild street hockley for ever giving out the ruler on your knuckles or the slipper bit of a kink if you asked me he always took a big run and swipe with the splimsol across your back side ;
if any think i think the education dept should have stepped in thats capital punishment ;but thee again i those victoria days kids was suposed to have been
disaplinned and parents thought they was corect to do so do it ; but these care workers in the children homes got done for this sort of things
so why did the ordinary schools get into trouble for such things i say
mr urch and old joey and kitchen was a group of un popular teachers in ickneild street during those years was kitchen like that at handsworth school ;
thanks for bring back sad memorys of my schol days best wishes Astonian;;;
I have tried without success to find the picture you mention of Mr Kitchen the chinless wonder any more clues please ?

Alan . Go to Friends Reunited put Icknield Street School in the search bar and his picture is there. Keep Smiling . Rich

Hi Rich,I have been trying to access that picture of the stick insect but not being a member of Friends Reunited and also being dim regarding computers I have been unable to,any chance you could send me the Photo so I can put these pins I have ready to good use.

Alan

Fred Kitchen Teacher Rookery Rd School & Icknield Street School.jpghi Alan ... Get your pins ready ! It only transferred a small image so its not big enough to stick on a dart board.Keep smiling . Rich

Thanks Phil,
Thats him no chin and very little hair thought himself the "Cats Whiskers" didn't like me and knew I didn't like him.
It wasn't till I did my National Service and was taught how to vault over a horse and box that I realized how poor a PT Teacher he was,only trouble I never had the chance to tell him.

I remember all the teachers you mention and you are quite right about Miss Evans. Mr Franklin gave me the cane! This message is from Bernard Briggs

Re: Miss Smith's Class, Circa 1960

Hi clive
my name is Jim Osborne and only found this site recently. Would very much like to be able to access this 1960 photo but cannot download it by swiping it, am I doing something wrong. Would really appreciate any help
regards jim

Re: Rookery rd School, Photos Please

Hello Ron, Richard Dye..............

I was at Rookery Rd until 1959 in the fifth year! I think I remember you, now I live in the US

You will see at the top of the page the site was hacked a couple of years ago, hence loads of photos were lost.

Hello Jim, What years were you at William Murdoch School (Rookery Rd)? I was there from 55 to 59...............

Hello Jim, What years were you at William Murdoch School (Rookery Rd)? I was there from 55 to 59...............
Hi Richard I was there51 to 62 fifth year junior and senior. Left England for Australia in 1975 and still here. Have been lucky enough to visit many times over the years. My mothers family were the Jeffersonswho had green grocer/fish/poultry shops in Rookery and college rds the rookery rd shop was opposite jacks caf!! And in my final year had to travel to another school for a metalwork class so could not stay for school dinner (not time) so used to go to jacks caf for egg and chips - a pretty exciting thing to do in those days.
worked for an American co for many years and used to visit head office for quarterly meetings, then fly back to oz via england travel to see WBA play visit all the Handsworth haunts eat black pudding and pork pies have a beer and then drive down to Heathrow all in 48 hrs. those were he days
Anyway thanks for replying
Jim

Hello I left in 59. The headmaster was Mr Meredith. there was Wickstead, Franklin, Davis (we called Dickie) Mr. French, Toll come to mind

Re: Rookery rd School, Photos Please

I was at Rookery Rd school from about 1955 till circa 1958, then was transferred to Handsworth Wood SM. leaving in late 1960. Are there any folk on here attended either at this time?
Hello Ron, I was there from 55 to 59...…...I was in the first 5th form.

Hi Alan That's Mr Davis, he also told us horror stories, he used walk round the class banging the desks if we played up lol, other teachers there were Mr Wickstead , Mr Franklin, Mr Harris, the first two were very strict, A year after I starte they let girls into the school and we had female teachers one I remember was Miss Evan we all lusted after her lol Oh and there was a MR Moore PE teacher, I wonder if there were any others there the same years as me
Hello I left in 59......They let girls in for my last year!

I left the junior school in 1960. Any connections?
I met my now wife, then in the same class, through friendsreunited... amazing how fate does things.
Been married now for 15 years. We both said that we would never marry again....UNTIL we met, and she asked me on the leap year date of 29th February 2004, as a lady is able to do!
[email protected]

I left the junior school in 1960. Any connections?
I met my now wife, then in the same class, through friendsreunited... amazing how fate does things.
Been married now for 15 years. We both said that we would never marry again....UNTIL we met, and she asked me on the leap year date of 29th February 2004, as a lady is able to do!
[email protected]
Hello Clive, welcome to the Forum, it is a REALLY great place!
I graduated as a 5 year senior (William Murdoch School) in 1959. We were a few years apart but should have been there at the same time.

Oh that's bought back memories! Dickie Davis and the others. I was one of the second year intake of girls and once Messrs. Wickstead, Franklin and Harris left the school went downhill a bit. I remember being terrified of Wickstead and Franklin. I remember Mr. Moore the PE teacher as well.
All very good teachers!

This is a message from Rod Pascoe and pertains to one of the ex pupils of Rookery Road.

My longtime workmate at the New Zealand Herald in Auckland, Stan Pinnegar, was a very proud old boy of Rookery Road Second Modern. He died yesterday (Fri, 21 August 2020), aged 80, and I thought any of his old schoolmates still alive might like to know that.
I posted the following on Facebook, with a photo of Stan at work, which you are welcome to copy and use on your website:
"Retired New Zealand Herald deputy chief subeditor Stan Pinnegar died yesterday in Auckland, aged 80. Stan was admitted into the care of Lady Allum Village in Milford three weeks ago after experiencing a blockage in a blood vessel in his leg, which, sadly, the clinical staff were not able to clear. Because of the Covid-19 restrictions, his funeral is being restricted to his 10 dearest and nearest, but for anyone wishing to send messages of condolence, his family home is at 152 Archers Rd, Glenfield, Auckland, New Zealand. It's indicative of how long Stan worked in the general-news subbery of the Herald that this photo of him was taken not only last century, but last millennium! Farewell to the proudest old boy of Rookery Road Secondary Modern in Handsworth, Birmingham."

ps, there wasn't a picture included...

This is a message from Rod Pascoe and pertains to one of the ex pupils of Rookery Road.

My longtime workmate at the New Zealand Herald in Auckland, Stan Pinnegar, was a very proud old boy of Rookery Road Second Modern. He died yesterday (Fri, 21 August 2020), aged 80, and I thought any of his old schoolmates still alive might like to know that.
I posted the following on Facebook, with a photo of Stan at work, which you are welcome to copy and use on your website:
"Retired New Zealand Herald deputy chief subeditor Stan Pinnegar died yesterday in Auckland, aged 80. Stan was admitted into the care of Lady Allum Village in Milford three weeks ago after experiencing a blockage in a blood vessel in his leg, which, sadly, the clinical staff were not able to clear. Because of the Covid-19 restrictions, his funeral is being restricted to his 10 dearest and nearest, but for anyone wishing to send messages of condolence, his family home is at 152 Archers Rd, Glenfield, Auckland, New Zealand. It's indicative of how long Stan worked in the general-news subbery of the Herald that this photo of him was taken not only last century, but last millennium! Farewell to the proudest old boy of Rookery Road Secondary Modern in Handsworth, Birmingham."

ps, there wasn't a picture included...
postie/Rod, Stan would have been in his third year when I started as an under 12. While our paths did not cross at least knowingly I am also a proud old boy of Rookery Rd SMB, later William Murdoch School!

My condolences & God bless to Stan's family

Hi clive
my name is Jim Osborne and only found this site recently. Would very much like to be able to access this 1960 photo but cannot download it by swiping it, am I doing something wrong. Would really appreciate any help
regards jim
I had Miss H.V.Smith for physiology ,biology and Hygene. I left in 1963, Mr.Greenfield was my form teacher then.

My name is John Russell my mates at that school were Derek Jeavons (died not long ago god bless him) Ray Diacoff, John Glue (sticky) Graham Farnell, I had a crush on Sally Smith but she was going out with Johnny glue. I remember Diacoff asked wickstead one day in class if we could have the birds and bees lesson he said Diacoff you could teach us some things lol
Susan Room married John Glue.
I went out with her for about two weeks before John. I went on her hem do he was not very happy .It was in the Upland Public House .
He came in to the pub walk over and instead of hitting me he hit a post. Last time I saw them.

Back