• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Romsley Hill Sanatorium

R

recharge

I am looking for any information on Romsley Hall Sanatorium - photographs, details of the routines etc. Apparently it was maintained by the Hospital Saturday Fund. Does anyone know what this was?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Romsley Hall Sanatorium

Hi recharge,

Yes I am also seeking information for Romsley Sanatorium.

All I have is a post card (no date on card) addressed to my mother many years ago which states.

'Miss F. Fencott, Romsley Sanatorium, Halesowen, Nr. Birmingham'

Her name was Fanny Ellen Fencott it was from her sister Mary (May) Fencott

I also have a photo of a group which may also have been taken at that
Sanatorium.

Many thanks jennyann for the photo, I don't have a picture of the sanatorium, but note
that as it was for comsumptive patients this might be how my mother went to work later at Papworth T.B. hospital Cambridgeshire UK, which is now I believe where they do heart operations among other things.
I shall try to find the photo of a few of the workers which might be taken at Romsley but has information on it.

i have just found a photo of romsley sanatorium whilst sorting out some old photos of my mother in laws.

Many thanks pollypops for your kindness in finding the web sites
I found them of interest and also that the building is now turned into apartments.
I was in the UK earlier this year and if I had had time would have paid a visit to the area.

best wishes jillmac White Rock B.C.

Here is a photo of jillmac's mother, Fanny Ellen Fencott, with a nurse and other workers -
She is at the back of the photo, second from the right.

jillmac thinks it was taken while her mother was working at Romsley Sanatorium - possibly in the laundry, as when she was older she worked at Papworth (Cambs) - in the laundry.

There is nothing written on the back of the photo so she is guessing it was taken at Romsley by how young her mother looks on the photo.

jillmac is hoping someone may recognise other people on the photo.

Many thanks to you arealpal for the photo I did write a reply then forgot to send it
sorry about that.

It was good to see the photo as I only have the one with my mum on see pollypops
which might have been taken at Romsley.
Maybe someone will recognize other people on it.

Many thanks again for putting the photo on it really is appreciated.

best wishes jillmac

Many thanks for putting the photo on for me pollypops
it is really appreciated

Fanny would only be in her early teens I would think, and would be working there
during the 1914/18 war, she was born 1899 in Cefn Coed S.Wales.
best wishes jillmac

Hello Pollypops, Many thanks for your interest and advice, as I said I am new and am not quite sure what I am doing at present but I have been on google as you did and been able to view the many ?( are they called threads or posts or blogs, this is where my confusion lies) anyway I have seen the photos and I am waiting to show them to Janet and ask her for more info. Thanks again Polyanna.

Hello Pollypops, Many thanks for your interest and advice, as I said I am new and am not quite sure what I am doing at present but I have been on google as you did and been able to view the many ?( are they called threads or posts or blogs, this is where my confusion lies) anyway I have seen the photos and I am waiting to show them to Janet and ask her for more info. Thanks again Polyanna.
Hi Polyanna,
It is confusing isn't it - but it easy when you get the hang of it. This is a post that I am writing now and what you have written above is a post. The Thread is what we are posting on. Someone starts a thread off - like this one about Romsley Sanatorium and then members 'post' on to it.
If you put the details of the people/dates that you are looking for information on and why I think you will get some help from the people on here.
I am still looking for information on Romsley Sanatorium for another member so I will post on here if I find anything more.
Polly :)

Thanks again Polly, things are a bit clearer now

Polyanna.

Hiya Polly,
Just had Janet round and she tells me her mother was living in Shakespeare Rd, Ladywood before going into Romsley and was in and out for a long time before she died in October1966. She was buried or cremated at Lodge Hill. By the way her name was Alice Ghulam, if anyone was a patient or working there at that time it's posible they may remember her as she spent so much time there.
Polyanna

Hi Polyanna,
I will keep looking for some information for you. I have wrote the details down in my little book - it would be lovely if we could find something for your friend.
Polly :)

Hi Pollypops, Would you be so kind and repost the photo of jillmacs mother please if you have saved it.

Thank you Viv.....

Romsley hill sanatorium registrars office

I am endeavouring to make contact with a member of the managerial team at the Romsley Hill Sanatorium who would have had experience of registration procedures. In particular with regard deaths incurred at the hospital.
In this particular case where a patient with no living relatives and having died of TB and where the death certificate had been issued to the hospital would likely to have been buried and or cremated?

Re: Romsley hill sanatorium registrars office

Have you tried the health authority for the are where the sanitorium was? Or local libraries?

Re: Romsley hill sanatorium registrars office

Thank you Bernard. Yes I have contacted Health Authorities/Registry offices that cover Bromsgrove, Halesowen, etc. Also local Churches, Cemeteries, etc.
I am hoping that somebody who had a position in the Romsley Hill Sanatorium Registrars office would come across this post. Many thanks malcolmd

If a person died in a hospital and was without funds or family, the hospital would compete registration of death, it would then become the responsibility of the local council to arrange and pay for a "paupers funeral",un fortunately this would be put out for tender to local undertakers who would then arrange burial or cremation, as it could be any undertaker it becomes very difficult to locate where the deceased may have been buried or cremated, a paupers grave could be a multi burial plot with no memorial headstones or just scattered ashes. I understand this is still the procedure used today

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These "paupers funeral" are now known as Community funerals,

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Father died at Romsley Sanatorium in August 1940 of TB & Meningitis he was just 23 years old & died 2 months before I was born.

I have found this picture on the net of Romsley Sanatorium.

Attachments

• Romsley Hill Hospital Nr Halesowen[1].jpg
    Romsley Hill Hospital Nr Halesowen[1].jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

During WW2, Romsley was used as a hospital for victims of the bombing on Birmingham and the Black Country. My Grandfather, Robert Palmer 1890-1948, was injured during his duty with the ARP on the College Road, Perry Barr. He was evacuated to Romsley Hospital. My family were notified about him being injured but could not find out where he had been taken to. It was some 48 hours before my Grandmother and my Mom were told he was at Romsley. It was quite a trek to get there from Perry Common to visit him.

Back