• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Roman Catholic Burials

leonardjob

Great Russell St
Where were RC's buried, particularly the large Newtown Irish families. My G G Grandad patrick crowe of Tower St we have his death cert but can't find where he was buried. Someone suggested New Oscott but they said no.

Where were RC's buried, particularly the large Newtown Irish families. My G G Grandad patrick crowe of Tower St we have his death cert but can't find where he was buried. Someone suggested New Oscott but they said no.

Hi Leonardjob, I think the information about New Oscott was correct, I buried my aunt and grandmother in there 1964 and 1984 because I understood it to be the main R/C burial ground. other R/C relatives of mine are also interred there, if you have no luck try your local undertaker for info. mick mcgrath.

St Josephs - Nechells, top of Thimble Mill lane / Long Acre, just by Wing Yip was opened C1850 as a Roman Catholic cemetery. Later the cahpel was extended to make it a parish church - still a fair sized cemetery - worth googling to see their website.
many R.C.' wfrom Hockley/Newtown would be buried here, especially before B'ham Council open it's own cemetey at Witton.
As has been said - nowadays, all council cemeteries have R.C. sections.
Also some may well be buried in Key Hill - first cemetery in B'ham We have Irish families in there who were R.C.'s.

We have 3 crowes - No patrick though
CROWE Edmund 1948
I 589 58434 1 MI
Rose Catherine 1874
L 24 (Vault) 23154
William Thomas 1890
H 8 (Vault) 35182

In Warstone Lane, we have
CROWE Florence Louisa 1951
J 2335 99831 6
Frank 1894 P 1932 47518
Juliet M. 1886 K 150 36116 9
Keith William 1956 J 2 102956
Mary Ann 1906 K 150 62102 9
Matthew R 1915 K 150 81168 9
Philip J. 1887 I 10 (Vault) 37830
William R H 1913 K 150 70419 9

Hope this helps

Brian

Was this compulsory or just a case of choosing where other RC's were buried?

I have late RC relatives who were buried in Handsworth,

Back