• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

rollins(or is it rawlins?)-whats in a name?

miss muffett

proper brummie kid
Rollins is the surname of my great x 2 grand dad William born 1852c.He wed Elizabeth Berrick in 1878 and I know this because I have managed to get a copy of their wed cert.I also have his death cert,he died in 1908 of TB in Hay mills.I have cencus info on him too_On the 1881 cencus though ,the family were under the name Robbins -to further add to my troubles!!
I cannot claim a birth cert as I do not know ''the right things about him''.Who was his mum, for one and his surname can be spelt 2 different ways,another.
(On Familysearch.org they have Rollins/Rawlins born 1852c but as there are a few of them.......).
I know his dad was called John as this info is on his wed.cert;
William ,Elizabeth and their family lived in a cottage in Aston but I have no idea what his mother's name was .(William had a brother called John too,and he was wed to Rebecca Ankcorn)
Anyone recognise these names / info and can help please?
Maybe you are a Rollins!!

Miss muffett

1851 Census - address - Cottage, Ufton, Warwickshire
William ROLLINS B1802 Ufton Ag Labourer
Ann ROLLINS B1835 Hanbury, Warwickshire - Daughter
Hannah ROLLINS B1841 Harbury, Warwickshire - Daughter

1861 Census - address - Harbury Rd in Village
William RAWLINS B1800 Ufton - Ag Labourer
Ann RAWLINS - daughter - unmarried - House keeper
William RAWLINS - grandson - B1851 Bascote, Warwickshire - Ploughboy

1871 Census - address Ufton House, Ufton
Ann RAWLINS - Lodger - Pauper

1871 Census - address- Beausale House, Beausale, Warwickshire
William RAWLINGS - B1851 Ufton Servant

1881 Census - address - Pasher Farm - Boarder - unmarried
Ann ROLLINS

Hope this may help you.

Suzanne

HI! Wow! I don't know what to say!!A big thank you for the above info.
On the 1881 cencus,the details were as follows;
Clara'' Robbins'' age 3 born Olton 1878 daughter-she was my great grandmother(actually Rollins)
Elizabeth'' Robbins '' age 21 born 1860 sheldon-wife
Lucy ''Robbins''age 3 months daughter born 1881
Thomas 'Robbins' age 1 son born 1880.

William ''Robbins'' head age 28 born 1853 ufton-ag.labourer
street address=ulverley rd,olton,solihull
they had a boarder living with them ;James Pierce age 48 ag .lab born Bromyard,Hereford
Thank you again for finding info on my family!
regards Sue

Hi

Glad to help. Are you thinking that maybe Ann was his mother? I was. On the 1841 , William B1805 warwickshire and Sarah B1804 Newbold pacey, warwickshire, husband and wife with their daughters, Ann 1834, (h)anna 1840 warwickshire and Elizabeth who was born 1826 warwickshire.

Suzanne

Could be William's family in 1911
Elizabeth Rollins B1860 Sheldon - widow. married 23 years. 15 children born alive - 3 have died.
Gertrude - daughter b1889 small heath - gold bronzer
May - daughter b1892 - small heath - cycle chain maker
Fanny - daughter B1894 - small heath - cycle chain maker
George - son - B1897 - small heath - free wheel maker
Harry - son - b1902 - small heath - school
Ann Holmes - widow - boarder - b1879 Lancashire - laundry hand
All living at 191 Speedwell Rd, Hay Mills

Suzanne

Forgot to put William senior's wife on the 1851 details, Sarah born 1800 newbold pacey.
Here is a possible marriage for william on the IGI extracted records,

William ROLLINS
Sarah MORRIS
17th November 1824 Newbold Pacey, Warwick

Suzanne

Suzanne,
It is the correct family,and you found my great x 4 grandparents too, William senior and Sarah.(Newbold pacey features on my tree elsewhere.)
Thankyou also for the 1911 cencus details ,that for some reason I hadn't gotten round to sorting out!
Few more names to go on my tree ,which is on Ancestry and GR.
regards Sue

A big thankyou and an update on my Rollins saga!
Took plunge and sent for a birth cert for my William Rollins born Sept 1850 ,with evidence I had gleaned from various sources,with your help.
His father John had wed Lucy Cloney in April 1850.She sadly died a couple of years later in June 1852 ,just 24 years of age.
William was then bought up by his aunt Ann(john's sister) and his grand dad William.(had thought she may have been his mother at one time).
Thankyou for helping me sort this one out and just goes to show that one shouldn't jump to conclusions!

Back