• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roll of Honour WW1

Here in Vancouver Remembrance Day/Armastice Day is observed on November 11th. It is a provincial day off in British Columbia. I hate to call it
a holiday. Not all of Canada's provinces have the day off on November 11th. There is a 21 gun salute in Stanley Park at 11:00am and usually, weather permitting, older model aeroplanes fly into the city and over the Cenotaph.
More than 600,000 Canadians fought in World War One with 60,000 killed and 170,000 wounded. In recognition of the part played by Canadians during the war, Canada had its own representatives at the Treaty of Versailles and while Canada remained a part of the British Empire, the Canadian delegation signed the treaty as a separate nation. The country had a much smaller population in 1914.

Here in Vancouver Remembrance Day/Armastice Day is observed on November 11th. It is a provincial day off in British Columbia. I hate to call it
a holiday. Not all of Canada's provinces have the day off on November 11th. There is a 21 gun salute in Stanley Park at 11:00am and usually, weather permitting, older model aeroplanes fly into the city and over the Cenotaph.
More than 600,000 Canadians fought in World War One with 60,000 killed and 170,000 wounded. In recognition of the part played by Canadians during the war, Canada had its own representatives at the Treaty of Versailles and while Canada remained a part of the British Empire, the Canadian delegation signed the treaty as a separate nation. The country had a much smaller population in 1914.

During the time I was photographing war graves/memorials I was moved by the amount of Canadians that had lost their lives, in both wars.
What was the status of Newfoundland, jennyanne ? It sticks in my mind that the "Newfies" held themselves apart from Canada, (like our Scots do from England !), was it that Newfoundland was first to send troops to Europe in 1914 ?

HARRY FROGGETT KIA 001.JPGim afraid i dont have a photo but here is the announcement of harry froggetts death...he married my nans sister...GOD BLESS HIM...

Nice find Lyn. Michael's grandfather was in the KRR he was killed at the Somme on 30 July 1916.

Nice find Lyn. Michael's grandfather was in the KRR he was killed at the Somme on 30 July 1916.

wend so was harry killed at the somme for all we know they may have fought side by side.. if you give me michaels grandads details... name and where he lived and parents names or if he was married his wifes name i will see if i can find him in the newpapers...

lyn

wend so was harry killed at the somme for all we know they may have fought side by side.. if you give me michaels grandads details... name and where he lived and parents names or if he was married his wifes name i will see if i can find him in the newpapers...

lyn

My granddad John Sheldon born 6 Langley Green, Oldbury, was with the 1st bat KRR Reg N° 4581 embarked to France 12 Aug 1914 went missing in the field 8 Aug 1914 and died POW 23 Dec 1918. I'd love to find out where he was taken POW.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...rel=in&GScntry=8&GSob=n&GRid=109601781&df=all&

His record is on ancestry - it gives a copy of the letter telling his widow about her pension plus other details.

Janice

Did anyone see "Brothers in Arms" on ITV last night ? I noticed there was a man who'd served in one of the B'ham Pals Battalions speaking but unfortunately I missed his name.

KRRC Roll of Honour. Winchester Cathedral Re: Roll of Honour WW1

Astoness in #24 of this thread and Graham in #27 mention a soldier who served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) and who died in WW1. The soldiers are respectively Harry Froggett and John Sheldon. The headquarters of the KRRC Regiment was based in Winchester, and there is a Roll of Honour in Winchester Cathedral for KRRC soldiers who died in WW1. I was in Winchester Cathedral this morning and took photographs of the relevant pages. It seemed a special day to do this: August 4th 2014. Dave.
P1010902.jpgP1010896.jpgP1010899.jpg

hi farmerdave...thanks for posting the roll of honour..it was really nice of you to take the time..

lyn

Last edited:
My Great Uncle ARTHUR EDWIN BOTT (Sergeant No. 8075) b. 1891 was in 1st KRRC and was killed 27th July 1916 at Delville Wood. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial.

I wonder if there is any notice in a paper of his death or a photograph of him.

It is only by doing family history that we know of this gentleman, he was our Grandfather's brother.

Remembered with great pride by his Great Nephew and Niece

My granddad John Sheldon born 6 Langley Green, Oldbury, was with the 1st bat KRR Reg N° 4581 embarked to France 12 Aug 1914 went missing in the field 8 Aug 1914 and died POW 23 Dec 1918. I'd love to find out where he was taken POW.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...rel=in&GScntry=8&GSob=n&GRid=109601781&df=all&
Thanks Graham. An interesting and sad story. First battalion KRRC war diaries might help. You state that he went missing in the field on 8 Aug 1914. Did you mean 1915? The missing date quoted is before he embarked??? Dave

Did anyone see "Brothers in Arms" on ITV last night ? I noticed there was a man who'd served in one of the B'ham Pals Battalions speaking but unfortunately I missed his name.

A couple of pics of Ted Francis taken from the programme. He's in the middle of the b&w pic.

View attachment 93291

View attachment 93292

Ted really captured the atmosphere of when these young men signed up. He said he went to sign up at Birmingham Town Hall and the queue of soldiers "was more like a music hall queue" and comments in the queue like: "We'll show those Germans, we'll push 'em back". When he told his mom he'd signed up her reaction was: "You little fool, don't you understand, thieves and vagabonds join the army"! Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My Great Uncle ARTHUR EDWIN BOTT (Sergeant No. 8075) b. 1891 was in 1st KRRC and was killed 27th July 1916 at Delville Wood. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial.

I wonder if there is any notice in a paper of his death or a photograph of him.

It is only by doing family history that we know of this gentleman, he was our Grandfather's brother.

Remembered with great pride by his Great Nephew and Niece

hi rowan i have got the announcement of my rellies death from the british newspaper archive...there are loads there for brummies who died...you can either type in the name of the person or if you know it the street where they lived at the time of the war also if you know the next of kin is always useful

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn thank you for your reply it is so kind of you. I do know that the next of kin was his brother FRANK T.J. BOTT I think his parents were dead. A request was sent by Frank to the Army for Arthur's medal rather tersely!!

Thank you again Lynn

Back