• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Roll of Honour WW1

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
I'm glad to say that although my relatives served in both wars, they all came back, many were not so lucky, following a suggestion by Terry Carter lets start our own "100 Faces of WW1" tribute to these men (and women) who were killed in WW1.
Please use this thread to post images only, and supply a little background information regarding the person.

Colin

00_CSM_ROBERT_MALIN_a_.jpg

Company Sergeant Major Robert Malin
No.1030 A Company 1st Birmingham Bn. (14th Royal Warwickshire)
K.I.A. 23 July 1916, aged 45

CSM Malin was an old soldier who had saw service in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, serving in Burma,
the North West Frontier and South Africa.
Born in Hampton in Arden and later lived at Sparkhill.
He was married to Laura who later lived at Bromyard Road, Hall Green.
He enlisted into the 1st B'ham Bn in September 1914.
Killed in the attack on Wood Lane, near High Wood.
No Known Grave, commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial

Text from the commonwealth war graves site. Trevor was the son of my great aunt Ada Rose Jennings from Burbury Street Aston.

DAVIES, TREVOR ARTHUR MANNING
T A M
United Kingdom
Lieutenant
Royal Field Artillery
North Midland Div. Ammunition Col
01/07/1916
Son of Arthur Marming Davies and Ada Rose Davies, of "Hafod", Llandudno, Caernarvonshire.
Commonwealth War Dead
II. H. 26.
GOMMECOURT BRITISH CEMETERY No.2, HEBUTERNE

Name:
Initials:
Nationality:
Regiment/Service:
Unit Text:
Additional information:
Casualty Type:
Grave/Memorial Reference: Cemetery:

Trevor_Manning_Davies_Edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
212121_Killeen.jpg

612269 Pte William John Killeen
19th Bn London Regt.
Died of Wounds 6 December 1917, aged 29
Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

The 19th London Bn. were part of the 47th Division and took part in the Battle of Cambrai of November 1917.

Pte Killeen was most likely called up sometime in 1916 to the Kings Royal Rifle Corps for his basic training and
transferred to the 19th London Bn for his active service.

He was born in Bordesley, B'ham and was the son of Thomas & Harriett who lived in Cherrywood Road, Small Heath.

Pte John W Killeen is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

I visited the grave of Pte Killeen, with a mate who new a relative of the soldier, a couple of years ago.
I am sure they would not mind his photo being included in this Roll of Honour.

Pte_Castle_3rd_B_ham_KIA_Xmas_Day_1915_a.jpg

1169 Pte William Edward Castle
3rd Birmingham Bn. (16th Royal Warwickshire)
K.I.A. 25 December 1915 (Christmas Day) aged 20
Citadel New Military Cemetery, Fricourt, France.

William Castle was born on 8 may, 1895, and was the son of Job & Rebecca who lived at 241 Coventry Rd, Small Heath.
He attended Ada Street Council School and was a Boy Scout for five years. William was a Warehouseman before enlisting
into the 3rd B'ham Bn on 13 January, 1915.
The picture above shows him wearing his navy blue uniform (khaki cloth was in a shortage) and he was a member of the
battalion Drums and Bugles band. He went to France with the rest of his battalion on 21 November 1915.
The battalion was serving on the Bray Front (southern Somme area) and he was killed by shellfire when he and comrades,
from B Company, were digging support trenches on Xmas Day, 1915.
His then Company Captain (and later Lt Col and C.O. of the battalion) Graham Deakin wrote to his parents:

"He was a nice lad, always cheerful and obliging, and we are sorry to lose him, for he always did his duty well."

John_Charles_Pockett.jpg

4628 Pte John Charles Pockett
Born Cheltenham 7 June 1884. He moved to Birmingham with his mother Sophie Pockett and worked in a cycle factory.
Joined the Kings Royal Rifles 2nd Battalion 1 Aug 1902 aged 19

On 8 Jan 1903 he was posted to South Africa for 1 year.

In 1914 John was recalled from the army reserve on 25 June for a further four years, just over a month before his nine year term as an army reserve expired. At this time he was working as a postman in Aston.
He rejoined the army on 25 June 1914 becoming a member of the British Expeditionary Force.

27 June 1916 posted to 17th Battalion
14 July 1916 posted to 2nd Battalion
16 July 1916 he was gassed in the field.
23 July wounded in the field died of his wounds.
John is buried at Serre Road No2 cemetery France.

Last edited by a moderator:
Percy_George_Theodore_Pedlingham.jpg

G/53568 Private, Percy George Theodore Pedlingham

Duke of Cambridges Own (Middlesex Reg)
1st/8th (TF) Battalion

Born 1899 Colwall, Herefordshire
Son of Charles and Ada Pedlingham

Killed In Action, 13 June 1918, Arras, France
France and Flanders
Western European Theatre
Grave/ Memorial.. Dainville British Cemetery, ref I.F.4

R.I.P

IMG.jpgMy Uncle:

William Venville, son of Evangeline and William Venville, Witton, Birmingham

12th Battalion King's Own Rifle Brigade

Killed in Action: September 8, 1915- Age 22 years

Grave: RUE-DU-BACQUEROT NO.1 MILITARY CEMETERY, LAVENTIE, FRANCE

Remembered in Aston Parish Church and Venville Family grave epitaph at Witton Cemetery,Birmingham

My grandmothers first husband Harry Frost, a blacksmith born in Banbury in 1879.
Unfortunately no images exist as far as I am aware.

FROST_HARRY 2-page-0.jpg

Attachments

• Harry Frost 1914.jpg
    Harry Frost 1914.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Last week I had no idea that my great grandfather and his son had been killed in world war 1 in fact I didn't even know their names. Now, thanks to efforts by members of this site I have found out quite a lot of their history;
Brickell Thomas Reginald Private 18732 died may12th 1915 age 16 Cheshire Regiment Cemetery Boulogne Eastern
Brickell Thomas Private 25027 died Dec 18th 1916age 46 Oxford and Bucks light infantry brought back to UK and is buried in Abertillery Wales.

I will attend the remembrance service today and for the first time ever I will have somebody in my family I can relate to. Thanks to everyones assistance.

It is so important to find out about the past like this. How can we know who we are unless we know where we came from? This thread really should be on top today

As a different take on Remembrance at Swanshurst School in Kings Heath we are commemorating the two minute silence with the help of about 25 veterans (Suez Canal Zoners, RAF, Korean War). There is a large 5ft poppy on the sceurity lamps at the front of the drive and everyone passing on the 11 will see it.

Also there is a tremdous First World War display provided by Dave Vaux which is open from 9.10 to 3.30. It has a very moving section on the sacrifice made by the pupils of Kings Edwards.

Last week I had no idea that my great grandfather and his son had been killed in world war 1 in fact I didn't even know their names. Now, thanks to efforts by members of this site I have found out quite a lot of their history;
Brickell Thomas Reginald Private 18732 died may12th 1915 age 16 Cheshire Regiment Cemetery Boulogne Eastern
Brickell Thomas Private 25027 died Dec 18th 1916age 46 Oxford and Bucks light infantry brought back to UK and is buried in Abertillery Wales.

I will attend the remembrance service today and for the first time ever I will have somebody in my family I can relate to. Thanks to everyones assistance.

This week the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Coucillor Mike Leddy, visited the former Somme Battlefields in France. He met up with the Mayor of Albert to discuss renewing links that were lost in the 1960's.
After WW1 Various Towns and Cities in the UK "Adopted" French and Belgian towns that were devastated during the conflict. Collections were made and money provided to help rebuild.
Birmingham adopted Albert, the main town and rail centre for British troops heading up to the trenches of the Somme. Collections were made in Birmingham to help in the rebuilding.

With the 100th Anniversaries of WW1 taking place over the next four years I imagine there are going to be some joint commemorations taking place involving Birmingham and Albert.

Terry

This is my Grandfather Private james Hewitt who died of wounds 19 August 1915 aged just 32.
There is a small article on him in the Birmingham Daily Post dated 7 September 1915 it reads......
Mrs J Hewitt of 1 back 16 St Andrews Road has received notification that her husband Pte James Hewitt South Staffs regiment has died in France of wounds received in action.He leaves six children the eldest being twelve years of age.Mrs Hewitt has six brothers serving with the colours.

Acklam19.hew1915.jpg

Attachments

• james1915.jpg
    james1915.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
My granddad John Sheldon born at N° 6 Langley Green Road, Oldbury, on the 27th May 1882; served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Embarked to France in 1914 and taken POW to Parchim camp, Germany, where he died on the 23rd Dec 1918. The grave is situated in Hamburg, Germany, POW who died at Parchim were re-buired here after the war.

s gravestone, Hamburg, Germany..jpg

Last edited:
4 of my ggreat uncles who died in WW1
albert orme and francis betts died of wounds and i was able to get their death certificate
0a5bac37-6ca4-40e9-8dbe-db4d649b4bf8[1].jpg0507ad7b-a8b2-4011-b94d-76233afce780[1].jpg754864de-ca08-4d91-b10f-fb13368bd9bb[1].jpgee662b8a-da76-41d9-8d34-0aba18650638[1].jpgthey will before ever young RIP

Thats good news Terry we visited the war museum in Albert several years ago when we visited the grave of my husbands grandfather. He is listed on this thread.

This week the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Coucillor Mike Leddy, visited the former Somme Battlefields in France. He met up with the Mayor of Albert to discuss renewing links that were lost in the 1960's.
After WW1 Various Towns and Cities in the UK "Adopted" French and Belgian towns that were devastated during the conflict. Collections were made and money provided to help rebuild.
Birmingham adopted Albert, the main town and rail centre for British troops heading up to the trenches of the Somme. Collections were made in Birmingham to help in the rebuilding.

With the 100th Anniversaries of WW1 taking place over the next four years I imagine there are going to be some joint commemorations taking place involving Birmingham and Albert.

Terry

Hi Aklam19: Have you found James' record on the Commonwealth War Graves web site. If not you can look up their site at:
cwgc.org James is listed there.

Here in Vancouver Remembrance Day/Armastice Day is observed on November 11th. It is a provincial day off in British Columbia. I hate to call it
a holiday. Not all of Canada's provinces have the day off on November 11th. There is a 21 gun salute in Stanley Park at 11:00am and usually, weather permitting, older model aeroplanes fly into the city and over the Cenotaph.
More than 600,000 Canadians fought in World War One with 60,000 killed and 170,000 wounded. In recognition of the part played by Canadians during the war, Canada had its own representatives at the Treaty of Versailles and while Canada remained a part of the British Empire, the Canadian delegation signed the treaty as a separate nation. The country had a much smaller population in 1914.

Here in Vancouver Remembrance Day/Armastice Day is observed on November 11th. It is a provincial day off in British Columbia. I hate to call it
a holiday. Not all of Canada's provinces have the day off on November 11th. There is a 21 gun salute in Stanley Park at 11:00am and usually, weather permitting, older model aeroplanes fly into the city and over the Cenotaph.
More than 600,000 Canadians fought in World War One with 60,000 killed and 170,000 wounded. In recognition of the part played by Canadians during the war, Canada had its own representatives at the Treaty of Versailles and while Canada remained a part of the British Empire, the Canadian delegation signed the treaty as a separate nation. The country had a much smaller population in 1914.

During the time I was photographing war graves/memorials I was moved by the amount of Canadians that had lost their lives, in both wars.
What was the status of Newfoundland, jennyanne ? It sticks in my mind that the "Newfies" held themselves apart from Canada, (like our Scots do from England !), was it that Newfoundland was first to send troops to Europe in 1914 ?

HARRY FROGGETT KIA 001.JPGim afraid i dont have a photo but here is the announcement of harry froggetts death...he married my nans sister...GOD BLESS HIM...

Nice find Lyn. Michael's grandfather was in the KRR he was killed at the Somme on 30 July 1916.

Nice find Lyn. Michael's grandfather was in the KRR he was killed at the Somme on 30 July 1916.

wend so was harry killed at the somme for all we know they may have fought side by side.. if you give me michaels grandads details... name and where he lived and parents names or if he was married his wifes name i will see if i can find him in the newpapers...

lyn

wend so was harry killed at the somme for all we know they may have fought side by side.. if you give me michaels grandads details... name and where he lived and parents names or if he was married his wifes name i will see if i can find him in the newpapers...

lyn

My granddad John Sheldon born 6 Langley Green, Oldbury, was with the 1st bat KRR Reg N° 4581 embarked to France 12 Aug 1914 went missing in the field 8 Aug 1914 and died POW 23 Dec 1918. I'd love to find out where he was taken POW.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...rel=in&GScntry=8&GSob=n&GRid=109601781&df=all&

His record is on ancestry - it gives a copy of the letter telling his widow about her pension plus other details.

Janice

Did anyone see "Brothers in Arms" on ITV last night ? I noticed there was a man who'd served in one of the B'ham Pals Battalions speaking but unfortunately I missed his name.

Back