• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Role of British army in Indian WW2

forward

master brummie
Every time I Google I get info on Indian Army. I know William Kimberley (1919) served in India in WW2. Can you tell me what role the British Army had there and what years in WW2. Thanks

Doing a bit of Googling myself, forward, I can see your difficulty!

There has to be a lot of information online on this, if it can be found. The essential fact is that there was a difference between the British Indian Army and the British Army in India. This page is probably a good starting point to unravel the difference between the two and something about the latter - which is what you almost certainly need: https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/documents-india-1930-1947/

Chris

Thank you. A service man rather than Sandhurst. We have 1 photo which is him in uniform. I will have a closer look to see if anything gives a clue. Its gathered he went to India in 1940. Thus far I'm assuming not directly involved in WW2 as in Europe?

Probably not in Europe but certainly in the Far-Eastern conflict, directly or indirectly. India itself was under threat from the Japanese and the forces there were heavily involved in our activities in that region, including Burma.

Chris

Thank you. A service man rather than Sandhurst. We have 1 photo which is him in uniform. I will have a closer look to see if anything gives a clue. Its gathered he went to India in 1940. Thus far I'm assuming not directly involved in WW2 as in Europe?
My father was in the RAF in India and while like all the WWII veterans he talked little of experiences, he advised that stationed in or near Calcutta (now Kolkata), for a time they were often under very severe air attack from the Japanese Bombers from 1942 t0 1944. I believe he was at Dum Dum airfield.

Bob

I live and learn. It seems his widow can apply free of charge to Glasgow (actually has forms from 2006) for whatever details they have. So we see how it goes.

Thanks

Ray

Back