• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rokesley Lodge, Selly Oak

Zumfan

proper brummie kid
An aunt lived at this address in 1911. I see that Rokesley is now part of Bham University, but what was it then? Her husband was a domestic coachman.

I would imagine that Rokesley Lodge was the 'staff' lodge to Rokesley House - this was owned by George Cadbury - did your relative work for one of the Cadburys?
Polly

The Cadburys may have only bought Rokesley in 1924, but in 1912 it was owned by Mrs Barrow, so it probably had some connection to the Cadbury family then.
Mike

The Cadburys may have only bought Rokesley in 1924, but in 1912 it was owned by Mrs Barrow, so it probably had some connection to the Cadbury family then.
Mike
Mike, I have heard the name Barrow Cadbury - where did the Barrow name come from? I always assumed it was a 'first' name. Also do you know if Rokesley House had a lodge?
Polly

Polly
The 1902 map shows the lodge.
I’m not quite sure whether Barrow Cadbury was a surname or whether Barrow was a given second name for the family. However the Barrows had a strong connection to the Cadburys from early days. “The Life of George Cadbury” says that “in 1832 John Cadbury married Candia Barrow of Lancaster, thus strengthening the bond between the two households which hadcommenced with the marriage of his sister Sarah to John barrow , and was further continued with the marriage of his brother Benjamin Head to Candia Watkin of Pendleton, a cousin of the young Barrows.” The Bull St Cadbury business was in 1849 transferred by George Cadburys father to R.C.Barrow (later mayor of Birmingham), so there was quite a connection between the families. I’m not sure which barrow the Mrs Barrow at Rokesley was married to , but before her (1900) the house was occupied by Charles Green JP.
Mike

map__c_1902_Rokesley.jpg

I've checked on the 1911. Why didn't I think of that before? Mrs Caroline Barrow, 75yr old widow born Peckham Rye, lived there. My uncle may have been her coachman. Thanks for your comments. In 1901 he was a gardener at 143 Parkhill Rd, Harborne so it was a change of career!

Back