• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rogers Thomas

Ron Rogers

master brummie
My 4x great grandfather Thomas Rogers was born abt 1777 and died ?December 1824,he was buried at Birmingham,St Phillip,Warwickshire on the 12th of December 1824. is it possible to get any more information ie grave number,others that may be buried with him ect from the church records ,if so who would I contact. His address is given as Bromsgrove Street again is it possible to find out who else may have lived with him,ie children,or other relatives,siblings ect

Thanks for any info

Ron Rogers

There is a baptism at St Martin's of a Thomas Rogers on 11 June 1778 - parents given as Ann and Thomas. At this date no other details are recorded. There also is a possible sister Rebekah - baptised 22 January 1776. They may not be related but both have parents with the same names.
The burial of Thomas is recorded as 12 December 1824 and it lists the address as Bromsgrove Street (no numbers). No other information is given.
I am not sure how you get grave numbers etc or find out who else is buried there. It may be possible that Birmingham Library would help as that is where the records are kept but it may be that grave details are still at the church - I am not sure.
On 8 February there is a marriage at St Phillips of a Thomas Rogers and Sarah Higgins - again I have no way of knowing if it is the right Thomas Rogers. On the record it lists Thomas as a widower and Sarah as a widow (as far as I can read the writing that is). That makes me doubt if this is the right person.
Janice

I have since found another marriage which might be more feasible. Thomas Rogers and Elizabeth Parker. 1st July 1798 at St Martin's - he is a bachelor and she is a widow. Again, I have no way of knowing if this is the one you want.

There are some baptisms of children with parents given as Thomas and Elizabeth. Mary (3 June 1803), (Hannah (29 May 1806 who seems to have died in 1812 as one record shows both dates), Elizabeth (1 Oct 1807) and John (10 Aug 1808) all at St Phillips.
I have no idea how you can find out if any are related to you but thought I would give you the information as I can see it.

Good hunting

Janice

Last edited:
Hi Janice,

Thanks for following the request, When i checked the info for thomas and sarah ,thomas would have been 19 and possible too young to be a widower ( i think).

I've had a look at Thomas and Elizabeth 1798 and you may be right as that would have made him 21 , not sure how old Elizabeth might have been, however it is not beyond her being 16-18 when she first married.

Again thanks for the info re Children i will follow up on this as well.

Well here goes the Hunting

Regards

Ron

Things to consider
Don’t discounted a possible marriage because you think the couple may to be too young .
The legal age for marriage was 12 for girls and 14 for boys until 1929 ( year is not a misprint ) with parents consent.
1929 This was changed to 16 years for both male and female with their parents consent.
Also bear in mind the diseases and illnesses around at the time, also young wives dying due to complications of childbirth.
They were many young widows / widowers

Things to consider
Don’t discounted a possible marriage because you think the couple may to be too young .
The legal age for marriage was 12 for girls and 14 for boys until 1929 ( year is not a misprint ) with parents consent.
1929 This was changed to 16 years for both male and female with their parents consent.
Also bear in mind the diseases and illnesses around at the time, also young wives dying due to complications of childbirth.
They were many young widows / widowers

Quote - His address is given as Bromsgrove Street again is it possible to find out who else may have lived with him,ie children,or other relatives,siblings ect

To arrive at 4 x great Grandfather Thomas Rogers born c1777you must be researching one of his descendants.
Would you be able to tell us the name of this person ? ( 3x Great Grandparent )
Including the year they were born died and who they married.
I realise you may see this as a step backwards.
Do you have a baptism record for Thomas’s child , your 3x great grandparent ?

This may be the way forward , whilst marriage records during that period reveal little information, baptism records tend to reveal more such as address, and father occupation , also the mother’s forename.
This can help narrow search down and find the parents marriage.

St Phillips Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives.
Baptisms 1715 - 1863 (Some records have been withdrawn)
Marriages 1715 - 1960
Burials 1715 - 1965

By searching the burial records this may reveal if the grave of your ancestor was private grave or a public grave.
If your ancestor is buried in a private grave, then it is possible other family members are buried with him.
If Thomas is buried in a public grave it less likely so that family members would have been buried with him.

Back