• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rogers brick wall

Ron Rogers

master brummie
I have now hit a brick wall with my Rogers family .
In the 1841 census the Head is William Bn 1801 Warwickshire a Builder by occupation,Married Elizabeth Green 1833, living with them are Thomas Bn 1826 and Elizabeth Bn 1829.

First brick wall..... where can I find info on William ie parents ect all my research seems to stop/start at 1801
Second brick wall.... where can I find info on thomas and Elizabeth .ie parents ect all my research stops/starts 1841

In the 1851 census William is not shown however Charles Rogers Bn 1799 is shown as the Head occupation carpenter with Elizabeth and all children except Thomas and Elizabeth

Third brick wall.... where is William and where did Charles come from (is he the father of Thomas and Elizabeth??) and if so again who were the parents of Charles ?

There is also another Rogers ,Richard Rogers Bn 1801 in Stourbridge , who married Elizabeth Fieldhouse in 1820, (this line connects up with the William/Charles line in 1945 when a GGG son Ronald Richard Rogers moves in with My GG mother Rosina Llewellyn (nee Palmer formerly Rogers)

Fourth brick wall.... who were the parents of Richard and what was the connection between Richard and Charles/William

All my research seems to start/stop in 1799/1801 even public trees that I have visited seemtto stop/start for Rogers'es in 1801??

Any help much appreciated

regards

Ron

That is often the case Ron, cencus only began in 1841. The best place to look further back is to see if there are any Parish records for the place your rels were born, Ancestry has some of them, but it is not all on the lowest membership package. Also if you ahve a birth village/town google it, Igot in contact with a resident of the village dads family come from and got history back to the 1700's and he tells me thare is more in the village records too.
I will have a look later see if I can see any more, do you have any more details about where they may have been born?
Sue

Ron, have had a quick look at the 1841 census, am assuming you are looking at William and Elizabeth living in Brewery Lane with Thomas, Elizabeth, Caroline, Emily and baby William? Looked at the deaths and there is a death of a William Henry Rogers in Birmingham in 1845, this could be your William?
Then, and this is a guess, maybe Charles on the 1851, in Upper Trinity Street, was Williams brother and took on Elizabeth and the children, can't see a marriage, but their name would have been the same anyway. The fact that Thomas and Elizabeth are not there could just be an age thing, they both could have had families of their own at ages 25 and 22, th rest of the ages fit and Richard would have been born after the previous census. Will carry on and look at the 1861 and see what is there.
Sue

Right, have had another root around and have found christenings, which fit roughly with the census ages for Catharine b 16-4-1834, christened St Martins on 18-3 1839, along with Emily, born 11.6.35, William b5-9-1839 christened St Martins 26-9-1839 and Richard b 12-3-1842 christened St Martins 11-4 1842. Can't find anything for Thomas and Elizabeth, but looking at their ages and assuming the marriage date for for William and Elizabeth is correct, and their ages on the census are correct,they were born out of wedlock.
Perhaps one of the more experienced genealogists on the forum will have a look too and see what they think.
Sue

Evening Sue,

Thanks for the info ..William and Elizabeth living at Brewery lane is the correct family, in the 1851 census is where Charles pops up, now living at 103 upper trinity street, less Thomas and Elizabeth i prsume by now they have married??,
living at 103 upper trinity street in 1861 is William and Eliza but the ages are all wrong , with sons richard and william.
I have tried parish record but they didnt have much info on the family that I could find.

Regards

Ron

Back