• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roebuck House - West Bromwich?

Nicholas

master brummie
Can anyone recall a Roebuck House in West Bromwich, which I believe was (is?) somewhere near the Trinity Way / Kenrick Way area of the town? The property may well have been a pub, though I'm not at all sure(?)

Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

From British History on line

Roebuck Lane in the south-east of the parish running into Smethwick from the Birmingham road existed by the later 18th century (fn. 24) and probably much earlier. A house called the Roebuck at the north end existed in 1684 and was demolished c. 1855. (fn. 25) Also at the top of Roebuck Lane, and on its western side, is the house called Springfields. By 1795 it was the home of Archibald Kenrick. After his death in 1835 his son Archibald lived there; it was rebuilt probably about that time. The younger Archibald was still living there in 1850, but it subsequently became the home of W. Bullock, an iron-founder like the Kenricks. By 1860 it had been bought by Thomas Bache Salter, who moved there from Spon House, and it remained the Salters' home until c. 1906. (fn. 26) In 1970 it was the social club of G. Salter & Co. Ltd. By 1836 there was a large house to the south of Springfields called Oakley; it was owned by Timothy Kenrick, son of the elder Archibald Kenrick. (fn. 27) It was demolished c. 1960. (fn. 28) The western side of Roebuck Lane was occupied in 1970 by private housing built mainly in the period between the World Wars. The northern part of Roebuck Lane now ends at the M5 motorway on the borough boundary. Roebuck Street was laid out as Park Village in the 1850s; (fn. 29) by 1970, however, the street was given over to light industry. The area around Grove Crescent between Roebuck Lane and Roebuck Street was formerly occupied by the Grove and its 4-acre estate; the property was sold in 1892 and built over. (fn. 30)

Thank you for the info. Mike-G.... much appreciated!!

I received a letter (from someone I didn't know and have never been able to subsequently establish contact with) in the early 90's offering info on the building concerned..... The scant mention of the site received appeared to be possibly indicating that the site was no longer extant, but was seemingly an offer of personal experience of the place, etc. (Hence my - probably erroneous - belief that the property was an old pub, or some such).

Regards - and thanks again,

Nick

Back