• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rodway/Inshaw

R

rodwayjones

I am looking for information on my father-in-law's family. I am hoping to be able to present him with something for Christmas.

His family's name was Rodway and they lived at Aston Hall. I believe this was when The Birmingham Corporation had the hall and the relative lived and worked at the Hall with his family. The family had links with the Inshaw family.

Philip Rodway and a tale of two theatres is the book you must get . published in 1934-he died in 1932 written by his daughters.phyllis and Lois. It will tell you all about Inshaw as well Try also the Old Ladywood web site about the Steam Clock pub run by Inshaw. the book has a complete family tree from 1556! Philip Rodway Bushill-Matthews is currently a European M.P. and is the grandson of Philip who was born at Aston Hall and who was delivered at birth by Dr Conan Doyle!

have sent private message about a copy of this book to you on sunday 1030 am

Hi, my gt grandfathers brother was alfred rodway (of aston hall) his son philip was the manager of the theatre royal (as in 'tale of two theatres') please please please take the genealogical info in this book with a great pinch of salt (the info written by phylis and her sister is okay, but the family history part was written by philips brother alfred as a wedding present to philip.) I think it was meant to excite and astound the reader. it has sent me on many a goose chase (why bother when the true stories are something to marvel at.

Archie

Would the Inshaw family mentioned in this thread be related to the following Inshaw individuals in this (my) family tree?

George Inshaw - born Birmingham 1789, married Maria Hartley, Aston 1806
father of:
George Inshaw - born Birmingham 1807, married Sarah Bellamy 1829, then Mary Bryan 1852, Aston 1885 (resided Loveday Street and George Street)
father of:
Betsy Inshaw - born Birmingham 1830, married Cornelius Ernest Dixon 1848, died Hull, Yorkshire 1892 (resided Loveday Street, George Street and Park Lane)

Mark, London
[direct descendent of above]

My John Inshaw was b. c1810-11 birmingham wife ann b. 1820 John was the father in law of a GG uncle Alfred Rodway, I know a little about John but no further back I am afraid

My John Inshaw was b. c1810-11 birmingham wife ann b. 1820 John was the father in law of a GG uncle Alfred Rodway, I know a little about John but no further back I am afraid

My maiden name was Rodway and I have a family tree that goes back to 1479. On my tree I have a John Inshaw Rodway who was one of 8 brothers and their father was Alfred Rodway who died at Aston Hall June 5th 1885 aged 46 buried at Northfield. It also says - married Maria eldest daughter of Councillor John Inshaw of Birmingham, and Ann(Reeves) his wife, and granddaughter of John Inshaw or Ainshaw and Ann Bates, his wife of Sheffield, Yorks 1864. Alfreds father was John Barron Rodway of Aston-juxta-Birmingham. and he had two brothers Major Henry Barron Rodway and James Barron Rodway.

My maiden name was Rodway and I have a family tree that goes back to 1479. On my tree I have a John Inshaw Rodway who was one of 8 brothers and their father was Alfred Rodway who died at Aston Hall June 5th 1885 aged 46 buried at Northfield. It also says - married Maria eldest daughter of Councillor John Inshaw of Birmingham, and Ann(Reeves) his wife, and granddaughter of John Inshaw or Ainshaw and Ann Bates, his wife of Sheffield, Yorks 1864. Alfreds father was John Barron Rodway of Aston-juxta-Birmingham. and he had two brothers Major Henry Barron Rodway and James Barron Rodway.
welcome great cousin, I too have done a great deal of family history, taking the rodways back to about 1650 (matthew rodway), then we came to a bit of a halt. would be interested to find what you know.

My great grandmother was an older sister of Phillip Rodway (Rose Margaret). I've not got much further with this leg of my family but it's great to know there are others interested parties out there!

Hi,

James Barron Rodway was my great great grandfather. His daughter Elizabeth Agnes Rodway (we have photograph of her) was my grandfather's mother.
She had a younger sister Emily who I think was a witness at her wedding to John Shear at Lytham in 1871, but have no other info about her.
Her elder sister Susannah is on the census living at Lytham with husband Samuel Taylor and children.
Their brother James Barron who married Elizabeth Matchwick of Guildford Castle, London is also there with his family, visiting.
Hope to hear from some relatives.

Does anyone here have the full date of birth for Mary M Rodway (nee Inshaw and mother of Philip Rodway)? i.e. the date including the day and month?

Last edited:
Is it Mary Maria Inshaw who married Alfred Rodway in 1861?

If so then there's a baptism for her, daughter of John & Ann. Birth is listed as 1 Jan 1843, baptised 30 Jan 1843 St Phillip's.

Is it Mary Maria Inshaw who married Alfred Rodway in 1861?

If so then there's a baptism for her, daughter of John & Ann. Birth is listed as 1 Jan 1843, baptised 30 Jan 1843 St Phillip's.

Thanks. Then I may have Mary's 37th birthday present from her husband. I bought a copy of RK Dent's 'Old and New Birmingham' (1880) and found the following words beautifully handwritten on the front fly leaf: "Mary M Rodway. January 1st 1880. A Birthday Gift from her husband."

Thanks. Then I may have Mary's 37th birthday present from her husband. I bought a copy of RK Dent's 'Old and New Birmingham' (1880) and found the following words beautifully handwritten on the front fly leaf: "Mary M Rodway. January 1st 1880. A Birthday Gift from her husband."

how wonderful richard...i have several old books in my possession belonging to other birmingham families which i would love to pass onto any surviving relatives and although i have posted the details on this forum so far nobody has claimed them..i will however hang onto them just in case

lyn

Last edited:
This might be of interest....edit....i have turned it round for you monty

lyn

sheild.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I think it says:
"Presented to Mr Alfred Rodway. Superintendent of Public Parks Birmingham.
On his 44th birthday by the employees at Aston Hall & Park Nov. 18th 1880"Aston Hall Rodway (Alfred?) Badge 1880.jpg

I have been researching my family tree for a number of years and this is the first time I have come across this forum. My 3rd Great Grandfather was John Inshaw. I found it very exciting to discover I was a descendant of a prominent engineer. I would love to read more about the Inshaws to get more of a feel as to what life was like back then. Here is how I am related to John Inshaw.

Back