• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rod Birch

I was very shocked to hear about Rod and have only just been able to put together a short memorial I feel was needed.

This forum was started by Rod ( "it was his baby" as he called it) and John Houghton with the help of Keith Birch technical skills in IT Rod's son and Sue Bonner (The first Moderator).
In 2007 I had the pleasure of presenting Rod, John and Keith with plaques in recognition for the starting of the forum and their contribution to preserving of Birmingham History.
Shields.jpgThe plaques were made by Frank Collier (Frantic from Australia) and the inscription was written by Beryl McMullen (Beryl from Canada) and presented by Me Chris Pounder (Pom/Pomgolian from New Zealand) all of us expat' Brummies.

R.I.P Rod

Happy days Chris. Thanks for posting this. Do you know whatever happened to "Frantic"?

Thank you for that information and the lovely photo Chris. Jennyann the last time I heard from frantic he was still happy with his horses and mentioned something about an outdoor cafe miles from anywhere but I never knew when to believe him as he was always kidding.

I have Today received this email from Keith Birch,

Hello,

It is my solemn duty to inform you that my father painlessly passed away on the morning of Saturday 3rd November after a short but fierce battle with Cancer (Carcinomatosis).

His funeral will be held at Sutton Crematorium, on Tuesday November 20th at 1:00PM. The family requests that only family bring or display flowers.

----

I know that over the past couple of years, you have not seen eye to eye with my father, or myself for that matter, but once upon a time you were all very close friends. I was going to make a post about this on the history forum but I do not feel that it is my place, and in all honesty do not want to reopen old wounds.

Thankyou for your time,

Keith Allen Birch

Thanks for posting Keith's e-mail Jim. It's a very sad time for the Birch family. R.I.P. Rod.

Thank you for the link Jennyann.

Also thank you Chris for writing a tribute to an old pal. He was very much respected by everyone on this Forum.

I can tell you that Frantic or Fran the Man as Chris alway called him, is very much as he always was, irreverent and cheeky, we swop funnies almost daily.

Just to let you know that I shall be attending Rods Funeral, if anyone wants to join us, see you there.
Jim

Hilary and I have just returned from Rods funeral, it was very well attended and the service was nice.
Rods daughter, Heather gave a very emotional eulogy.
Pity the weather wasn't better.
R.I.P. Rod.

Hello Jim and Hilary: Thanks for the post about attending Rod Birch's funeral. Rod and the family have been very much in
my thoughts over the past few days and today especially. It was I am sure a very difficult day for everyone in attendance and I am glad to hear that
Heather captivated everyone present with the heartfelt eulogy of her Father. Rest in Peace Rod you will be sorely missed.

thanks from me too jim...i am glad all went as well as could on such a sad day...

lyn

It's hard to think about Rod without recalling his love of this Forum. He would be very happy that you and Hilary were there today Jim. X

Back