• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rod Birch

aston lad

master brummie
I read yesterday that Rod had passed away, I wasn't too sure if it was Rod Birch or not , I wrote to Chris Pounder to ask her and here is the reply I got back

Chris Pounderhttps://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/#https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/#
John here is the message I got from Sue Bonner yesterday my time... "....not sure if you are aware, but Rod passed away yesterday? Ive sort of lost track with who is in contact with who, but I thought I'd let you know in case you were not aware." Like Sue I am not sure who Rod was still in contact with and as I knew Maureen Farmer was not and would have liked to have been told I messaged her last night

This is very sad news, and my thoughts are with Brenda and his family at this moment..........,

Gosh, I am so sorry to read this news. I never met him in person of course, but we exchanged words occasionally via. this media which he helped start I believe. Condolencies to his familly.

Very sad and astonishing news, Rod surely was only early 50,s ? so this is very surprising news,
My deepest regards for Rod,s family and his many friends from the early days on this Forum
Condolences,,,John Y

Very sad news indeed, if it wasn't for Rod Birch this site would have never existed.
He put so much effort and hard work into it, and then it got complicated.
Thanks for the memories and rest in peace Rod.

I too only heard the sad news from Sue Bonner yesterday. Although I knew him through the forum from its conception I only met Rod once. As said he was a relatively young man so it came as quite a shock. My thoughts and condolences go out to Brenda and the rest of the Birch family. May he rest in peace.

Sad news, it was on the invitation from Rod that I came on to this site in 2003 after the collapse of VB.
As Jim said it got complicated but I remember the early years with fondness.
Rod was 57/58 years old, too soon to go, R.I.P. Rod. Alberta

my condolances to rods family also..i also met him only once and along with others he helped start this wonderful forum...RIP ROD it will live on

lyn

Sad news indeed. I recall the welcome I got when first I arrived and the occasional communication with Rod.

My thoughts are with Rod's family at this time.

Bernie

If this site would not have existed without him, it is particularly sad, and more so becasue of his comparative youth. Rest in peace Rod.

HI Am shocked and sanddend to hear the loss of a dear old friend and a valued member of the forum; our long time member rod;
my sincere condolences and heart felt for his family RIP ROD ; and my wife and myself are deeply in thoughtfor his family ;

My condolences to Rod's family. His vision of creating a local history forum was ahead of its time; it will live on as testament to his work.

RIP Rod

What an awful shock!I hadn't seen Rod for some time. His legacy will live on in the forum. R.I.P. Rod Condolences to his friends and family..

Sincere sympathy to Rod's family.

He leaves a wonderful legacy in the form of this Forum and the pleasure it gives to so many.

Chris

What sad news.
Rod was so helpful to me when I first joined the forum as I had never been on a forum before.

RIP Rod and thank you so much, I send my love & blessings to your family.

I didn't know Rod at all but what a wonderful legacy. Thank you Rod and rest in peace. Viv.

The things I remember Rod for was the love he had for his Dulux dogs and Birmingham History. Sincere condolences to his family. RIP Rod.

I remember Rod for his love of Aston and Birmingham, his poetry, kindness and many other things. Such a sad time for the Birch family.
You are all in my thoughts at this very sad time. R.I.P. Rod.

I only had contact with Rod through this forum, I am sorry to hear the sad news. Sincere condolences to his family, rest in peace Rod.

RIP Rod.....thankyou for everything you did for me when I first joined....condolences to your wife and children and grandchildren....you will be always in my thoughts xx

I am so so sorry to hear about rod. my condolences to all the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back