• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rocky Lane Perry Barr

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1908.

Ian.

Unfortunately the images referred to in this and the following posts are no longer available. Some images have been posted later in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple more of Rocky Lane - one from 1910 and the other thought to be from a similar time period.
I have been unable to verify where these pictures relate to modern day Rocky Lane.
Ian.

Lovely old photos, unbelievable changes - I have seen another old picture which seemed to show views of what looked like a definite 'Rocky Lane'.
oldmohawk.

Great photo's once again Ian.
As an aside it was always known as ockerlyane im our family. It came from when my parents lived near there and my brother couldn't say Rocky Lane....lol Funny how these things stick!

I used to live round the corner from Rocky Lane (Dewsbury Grove) but moved in 1970. Were the later photo's taken from Walsall road opposite the Crematorium or nearer to Tower Hill ? If the Walsall road end then the Pharmacy used to be a cycle shop in the late fifties early sixties. I had a look on streetview a few weeks ago at all the places i used to live, never was change so obvious than Dewsbury Grove, not for the better either (in my opinion).

I used to live round the corner from Rocky Lane (Dewsbury Grove) but moved in 1970. Were the later photo's taken from Walsall road opposite the Crematorium or nearer to Tower Hill ? If the Walsall road end then the Pharmacy used to be a cycle shop in the late fifties early sixties. I had a look on streetview a few weeks ago at all the places i used to live, never was change so obvious than Dewsbury Grove, not for the better either (in my opinion).

The "now" view is at the junction of Rocky Lane and Old Walsall Road.

I was brought up in Rocky Lane. We, my parents and two younger brothers, David and Paul moved there from my grandparents house in Crompton Rd Handsworth in 1958. I was 5 my brothers were 4 and 2 years old.
I lived there until I left home in 1975. My parents, both in their 80's now still live there. I went to Dorrington Road school. The Headmistress there was Miss Whitehouse, other teachers were Miss Littlewood, Miss Doogood (very old school and strict), Mr Mullins are names I can remember. There used to two crossing ladies, one by the shops at the island and one down the road opposite Lavendon Road. I can't remember their names now. In those days there was no worries about going to school on your own, I went on my own from my second day at school. At the age of 10 I helped the Coop milkman right up until I left school. The round started in Rocky Lane by the Crem' then Wensleydale Rd, Carmadale Rd, Lymedene Rd and Sandringham Rd. I also started a paper round aged 11 for Mr and Mrs Moreton at the papershop. My round covered Dorrington Rd, Lavendon Rd and Whitburn Rd. I remember in those days we had no double glazing or central heating in the winter you could scrape the ice from the inside of the windows. I have many happy memories of Perry Barr and Rocky Lane.

I also went to Dorrington road School but about 8 years before you. Miss Kirkham was the head of the infants and Mr Aspinall was head of the juniors then off to Beeches bug house. I used to have a paper round that covered Pendragon, Clivedon and Crantock roads. i worked for Townsend and Dennet at the Post Office on the Walsall road, used to collect the money on a Sunday, not a wise move some would say. I used to help the Milkman (briefly) who worked for Handsworth Daires, he used to let me steer the milk float using the enormous handle type steering wheel, then the Dairy stopped Children helping. My best friend (arthur) used to live in Derrydown road and went to School (great barr comp) with Martin Shaw, what a claim to fame, or what. All I can remember about our Coop milkman was picking up the horses poo for my Mothers rose's.

what a change between photo's I must say I do prefer the first one, and in the second there seems to be an absence of rocks.
paul

Miss Doogood (very old school and strict), Mr Mullins are names I can remember.
Miss Doogood was also at Perry Beeches school in the 40's, her manner as you describe, and Mr Mullins was the caretaker there. They are both mentioned in the Perry Beeches school thread. There is even a Google pic of the house Mr Mullins lived in.
oldmohawk...:)

I was brought up in Rocky Lane. We, my parents and two younger brothers, David and Paul moved there from my grandparents house in Crompton Rd Handsworth in 1958. I was 5 my brothers were 4 and 2 years old.
I lived there until I left home in 1975. My parents, both in their 80's now still live there. I went to Dorrington Road school. The Headmistress there was Miss Whitehouse, other teachers were Miss Littlewood, Miss Doogood (very old school and strict), Mr Mullins are names I can remember. There used to two crossing ladies, one by the shops at the island and one down the road opposite Lavendon Road. I can't remember their names now. In those days there was no worries about going to school on your own, I went on my own from my second day at school. At the age of 10 I helped the Coop milkman right up until I left school. The round started in Rocky Lane by the Crem' then Wensleydale Rd, Carmadale Rd, Lymedene Rd and Sandringham Rd. I also started a paper round aged 11 for Mr and Mrs Moreton at the papershop. My round covered Dorrington Rd, Lavendon Rd and Whitburn Rd. I remember in those days we had no double glazing or central heating in the winter you could scrape the ice from the inside of the windows. I have many happy memories of Perry Barr and Rocky Lane.
I know your brother David.....

Looking at Rocky Lane today, it seems almost impossible to imagine how it once was as a Lane. This 1895 view shows a milk cart making its way up the steepest part. The lane was cut into sandstone rock, and at this date was still quite a narrow lane. But around the 1930s a considerable amount of cutting must have taken place to become the Rocky Lane of today.

image.jpeg

This modern image of the Lane near Lavendon Road shows a little evidence of the former lane. A highly raised pavement below which the road cuts through. Viv.
image.jpeg

Do not know the area, but Streetview shows the section marked with a red marker is a steep straight hill, so would suggest that the building is Rock Farm
map c1887 west end Rocky lane hamstead.jpg

One of these photos is here and the present day view in this thread.

Back