• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rocky Lane Aston

morning john..ive just had a look at the caption again for that one..says its rocky lane..life force pen offices and factory...when i have time unless someone beats me to it i will do a kellys look up to find out the correct location..thanks for pointing it out john i hate wrong captions....
lyn

I have just read this thread all the way through,fantastic i loved every bit of it.
even though i,m on it some i had,nt seen sorry if i did,nt reply at the time.
hello John Knight former Cromwell street resident,hope you and yours are all well.
Regards to al dereklcg..

Hello Derek,
Yes I'm fine and living it up on the Costa del Brighton, ha ha.
Still doing a few signs now and then,but now in the enviable position of being able to pick and choose my jobs,although I've been retired for 10 years, I still like to do a bit.
Trust you and everyone on BHF are well.
Regards John (aka signman).

Thanks Astoness for re-posting the Rocky Lane photographs They brought back memories for me. In post 149 picture 2 the open space on the right, was that the sight of the Methodist Chapel that was bombed ? Photo 2 in post 150, the one with advertising boards, the windows above are the old LMS Goods yard stables, the entrance was in Rupert Street opposite where I lived in the in the 1930's early 40'
Regards reg

hi reg..glad you like them...im afraid i cant answer your question about the chapel but maybe other members may know...just found another one...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
here you are Rocky Lane

Hello John,

Yet another request from a devoted Brummie fan. Would you mind reposting the pic of rocky lane with stretton road looking over at the cross. Apologies if this has been done already but i couldn't see it on here since the hacking of this site.

Many thanks for help
Romana

In answer to roverman, yes that's the site of the Chapel, corner of Cromwell Street,my father was firewatching ,my mother was with him,(don't ask me why, I don't know)
and I was a young baby in arms,it suffered a hit,and according to my late mother I was thrown from her arms under a table,they were both unharmed,but it took two hours to get me out, and that's about all I know told to me by my mother many times.

Photo post 161 shows Anthonys shop on the corner of Scholefield Street.
As a young lad (about 7) I was bitten on the leg by a dog outside,whilst looking in the window,Mrs Anthony took me in and bathed my leg, and gave me some sweets,
pop, and crisps, I never found out who's dog it was.

Thanks John for confirming my thoughts. I was a member of the Boy's Brigade at the Chapel. After it was bombed what was the old "School Rooms" was converted into a temporary chapel and also used by the "BB"" and youth club. the Minister at the time was a Mr. Holton.
Glad you and your parents survived your ordeal.
On the opposite corner of Scholefield St. I seem to remember there was a small covered yard that hired out barrows etc. one in particular was like a a big 3 wheeled shopping trolley made with woven wicker work which was ideal for collecting "Coke" from the gas works in Avenue Road, pushing it back up the hill was a bit of a struggle !!
Regards Reg .

bazz i used to walk the length of rocky lane in the 80s to visit my sister in long acre...would love to turn the clocks back if only for one day but this time have my camera with me:)

yes john you would have done from where you lived...very little left now though

lyn

bazz i used to walk the length of rocky lane in the 80s to visit my sister in long acre...would love to turn the clocks back if only for one day but this time have my camera with me:)
I used to walk it often too, when going from the offices at the top of Rocky Lane to the Forge of Tubes Ltd. And quite often popping in to the newsagents on the corner of Stretton Road for sweets, biscuits, papers etc.

Hi Bazz and the gang
When as a nipper being brought up along the lichfield road way back in the fortys /and fifty,s
I often walked up and down the old rocky lane to Nechells and even to the gate
And as a little kid I always thought of that particular section from the number 8 at the cross
Facing the golden cross ,and start walking down the lane those particular batch of houses
Was posh people most of them had the old red polished and shinning steps and highly polished
Windows and dust free from the traffic traping up and down the lane
They was imacculately spotless one by one down to stretton street
Which i beleive was a news agents and one off licence run by a mrs mason
All those houses was virtualy identicaly it looked like some one owned the block
I also thought that streetton road was smart as well
They used to talk abkut Bournville estate years ago how uniformed they was with its colour coded hoses
But where we lived along the road with its old courts and terraces the house was in a dire straits
There is one thing i recall and notice that us residents kept our courts and terraces well groomed
With our well maintained gardens anybody know just house much those houses on that rocky lane was to rent or even buy does anybody know how much it would have cost to buy i presumed they was privately owned
By the Tenants, Alan,,,,,,Astonian,,,,

Hi bazz and Lynn
Bazz here,s turning the clock back for you and Lynn and may be myself
This is rocky lane 1939 period especialy for you both and anybody else whom may have not seen this before now
As one or two of you on the forum will recall tubes Limited of rocky lane Aston Cross
And one or two of you may recall the making of push bike namely cycles
Made by Hercules of Aston rocky lane
Here is a picture of production of yester years
By 1900 Birminghamhad the largest number of cycle makers and componements manufacturers
In Britain,
By useing mass production processes at Rocky Lane Aston Hercules reached the out put
Shown on the card by 1939, six million cycles had been built,
The company was now the Largest cycle manufacturer in the world
With one third of there out put being exported
Here is a picture connected to Rocky lane Aston Cross
Best wishes to you all Alan,,Astonian,,,,,

Attachments

• 4457.jpg
    4457.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 88
Alan that is a fabulous picture. I've never seen it before. Just look at the amount of vehicles parked up. I knew Hercules Cycles had the building before Tubes Ltd, but i had no idea about the history they made. A great find you made there Alan, and thanks for sharing.

Hi Bazz
Nice to see your profile meaning your picture on the thread and to hear from you
Hope you and your family are all well i expect your grand kids are keeping you on
Your toes now they are older
On the subject of the picture i do have one with the other side of the works
That is where the lorries and vans drove down the yard entrance to load them up
And that was on the lichfield road side facing directly old Ansells brewery entrance gate
for there horse and carts and later years their lorries which they obtained after
not using horses, it had a traffic light on the Ansells in
Gate which was red for stop , amber for get ready and green to tell them to come in
Other wise they would have to wait on the drive in
And in the early fifties there was a cart with one drayman on board
And sadly the driver had a Heart attack and because the shire horse was experienced and trained
When approaching the lights he stopped on red and awaited the green light
To walk in.
But any way way Bazz, yes where the gates was oppersite i was always roaming around
Down to the cross to grand fathers shops looking for chips as he had a eat in tables or take away
But i always stopped and looked down that drive of hercules and see all those dark green police bikes
Already standing out side the building awaithing to be picked up and loaded
Those bikes was built for life and they had the dyamo on the back wheel to give the front head lamp to light up
They was good solid bikes
Well bazz thanks for your comment and i look forwarded to hearing from you again,
And i hope not so far in the distance we will meet again as i have a passion for scotland all my life since i was born in lichfield rd up cromwell square next to thompsons
And in my young life I also said, I have to go to Wales ,Ireland and various places in my life when I become an adult
So far i have travelled the breath all except dear old scotland and that i have vowed to myself to make it one day
Before my time is up
Take care Bazz best wishes to you and one and all ,,,Alan Astonian

Hi guys
Iknow we have a few of old rocky lane aston but i thought i would put this old picture
I know it the corner of stretton road by the two shops but this one has the barber shop
red and white sign outside , did any of you ever go there for a shave or hair cut
This is 1926 period and with the old royal mail van travelling down the road
Heading towards nechells i would not be surprized its just heading back to
Cheston road royal mail sorting office , which incidently my uncle was the post
master general at that period
and i think its mrs mason,s corner shop off licence facing the news and grocery
shop on the corner of stretton road
Note the delivery van of the royal mail
Here is the picture Astonian,,,

Attachments

• ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 47