• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rocky Lane Aston

Rocky Lane reminds me of my days at Hercules Cycles at the end of the war. Happy care free days and just 15 years old. Eric

Photo post 161 shows Anthonys shop on the corner of Scholefield Street.
As a young lad (about 7) I was bitten on the leg by a dog outside,whilst looking in the window,Mrs Anthony took me in and bathed my leg, and gave me some sweets,
pop, and crisps, I never found out who's dog it was.
Anthony shop was my Nan and Grandads, Frank and Ivy, my dad had dog called Rusty that lived there I think.

hello and welcome darksy....how lovely for you to have found a photo of your nan and grandads shop

lyn

hello and welcome darksy....how lovely for you to have found a photo of your nan and grandads shop

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I am guessing that’s it, I know they moved to Shard end around 1967, always had a shop, my dad said they was richthey lived a long life well into there 90’s...

As a young lad (about 7) I was bitten on the leg by a dog outside,whilst looking in the window,Mrs Anthony took me in and bathed my leg, and gave me some sweets,
Mrs Anthony was my Nan, Ivy...

And my Grandad, Frank Anthony was best man at Henry Taroni wedding so my mom said, she said their yard was close to the shop, so happy to have found this site. Thank you
Enjoy the bhf darksy..
henry was a friend of mine. i knew him from 1958 when he had a yard at the bottom of Trever st.befor he moved. so i might have known your g/dad too by face....i do remember using the shop ..... i knew a family opposite.the shop in rocky lane. the ki**y's.

Enjoy the bhf darksy..
henry was a friend of mine. i knew him from 1958 when he had a yard at the bottom of Trever st.befor he moved. so i might have known your g/dad too by face....i do remember using the shop ..... i knew a family opposite.the shop in rocky lane. the ki**y's.
Here is my Nan and my Mom in said shop CC47718D-3902-410D-8D14-A7CBD38CA6A2.jpeg

Here is my Nan and my Mom in said shop View attachment 139668
My Dad said it was Fred Taroni that started the business,

my mom Irene, and my Nan in said shop,Great story about the dog fella, my Nan was a lovely generous lady

Attachments

• 11376B31-EC9E-4421-B63A-77C9CFB2C0EA.jpeg
    11376B31-EC9E-4421-B63A-77C9CFB2C0EA.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
This thread seems to be the best to post this video from Taroni's - it came up on my YouTube and I found it quite interesting and entertaining!

Any ideas which Rocky Lane factory this would have been in the 1920s ? Can’t make out what it is they’re producing/assembling. A lot of female workers - are they punching out parts/components from those metal strips ?

Viv.

B1B2123C-3152-40B7-9686-3996DE84D090.jpeg

Hi everyone, newbie here. trying to research the tube factory for a family tree, but i cannot seem to see the photos that peeps have put on here? Am I going potty? Cheers T

Freya
Some years ago the site was hacked, and we lost all the images. Many hacve been replaced. This is rather a long thread so not sure which photos you are talking about, but if you give the numbers of the posts in which are the photos you refer to then it might be possible to replace them

I came across this today amongst my mother's belongings, it's an award given by Rocky Lane Sunday Schools Nechells to my grandmother in 1893. She would have been 8 years old at the time and obviously wanted to identify it with her name and address in Thimblemill Lane.

Attachments

• polly-goodway-award-1893.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 14
1876 was 26th Anniversary of the Rocky Lane Sunday School and it had 574 scholars.

The Rev Hopkins was the main man at Rocky Lane (UMF) United Methodist Free Church.

Last edited:
Back