• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Robots what are they ?

cookie273uk

master brummie
On the top right of Forum Homepage it mentions those on line as members, guests and 'robots'. what exactly (in plain English please) are 'robots' Eric

Eric, believe this refers to those visitors to the site which are automated systems which trawl the web collecting information for various purposes. The most obvious examples are the search engines such as Google who are constantly adding to their database.

Chris

Its why we kindly ask peole never to include an email address in their postings. The (Ro)bots will pick them up

I suppose most of us use 'Google Search' or 'Bing Search' and they often find what we are looking for but only obtain their information by continually trawling web sites. If you spend a lot of time looking at the forum's 'Gardening' thread a robot will eventually notice it and soon adverts for garden sheds etc may appear on your screen.
If anyone wants to quickly see which robots are currently trawling the forum, click the link below ... when I just looked a chinese robot was viewing 'Upper Dean Street' .... :cool:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?online/&type=robot

I suppose most of us use 'Google Search' or 'Bing Search' and they often find what we are looking for but only obtain their information by continually trawling web sites. If you spend a lot of time looking at the forum's 'Gardening' thread a robot will eventually notice it and soon adverts for garden sheds etc may appear on your screen.
If anyone wants to quickly see which robots are currently trawling the forum, click the link below ... when I just looked a chinese robot was viewing 'Upper Dean Street' .... :cool:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?online/&type=robot
OM
Thanks for that, do you know who Baidu & Yandex are? This explains why when I am on my tablet, there are adverts in the middle of posts I suppose. On this machine I am using now, it is a networked and multi-firewalled system, so I get no advertising or offers, but on my tablet, notebook and laptop I get the whole works, if I was looking at hotels on exotic places, I am inundated with adverts surrounding any other search I am making. Thanks Morturn for telling me what bots meant. The one problem lately has been on th forum on my tablet and dating sites keep coming up and no I am not visiting dating sites. I daren't, anyway after 58 years of marriage, why do I need to. Just realised that 58 years ago yesterday I proposed to my wife, gosh time flies when you are having fun.

Bob

Hi Bob,
If you type 'Who is Baidu' into Google Search it will show you that it is a Chinese search engine ...

I use an adblocker on my iPad and iPhone because with small screens I do not want ads using up my screen space. You can block all ads on Windows computers but don't forget the BHF relies on ads for income. With regard to unwanted ads you can usually block their cookies and fiddle with settings to prevent them appearing. Websites can detect whether an adblocker is being used and if so block viewing.

oldmohawk

Hi Bob,
If you type 'Who is Baidu' into Google Search it will show you that it is a Chinese search engine ...

I use an adblocker on my iPad and iPhone because with small screens I do not want ads using up my screen space. You can block all ads on Windows computers but don't forget the BHF relies on ads for income. With regard to unwanted ads you can usually block their cookies and fiddle with settings to prevent them appearing. Websites can detect whether an adblocker is being used and if so block viewing.

oldmohawk
Thank you very much indeed, it is good that there are you youngsters on BHF all full of IT knowledge and understanding the magic of the computer, my Sinclair C15 will really have more space on it now. I will let you into a little secret, my son has just started a new job with Apple, I just pretend I know what he is talking about, that is Apple not as in a store, but working out of their UK & Europe HO. It starts with 3 months training in Palo Alta Californiay. I have offered to accompany him as his bag carrier.. Anyway thanks again.
Bob

Thank you very much indeed, it is good that there are you youngsters on BHF all full of IT knowledge and understanding the magic of the computer, my Sinclair C15 will really have more space on it now. I will let you into a little secret, my son has just started a new job with Apple, I just pretend I know what he is talking about, that is Apple not as in a store, but working out of their UK & Europe HO. It starts with 3 months training in Palo Alta Californiay. I have offered to accompany him as his bag carrier.. Anyway thanks again.
Bob

I think he would need at least two to help with bags

Most of my family use Apple so I've used iPads and iPhones for the last 5 years with no trouble or stoppages as far as I can remember. It is basically a closed system so nothing gets in.

I have used Windows since MS DOS appeared so know it well but it is an open system designed to run on all sorts of computers so can have bugs and problems but they can generally be overcome.

The latest little bug I had was with the latest Windows Update KB4284848 which for some reason removed my Graphic Driver and installed an old version or something else. My desktop computer suddenly started to have blue screen stops and became unreliable. I have sent some feedback to Microsoft.

I suspected driver trouble and looked in Device Manager to check driver updates. Sure enough my graphics driver updated from the manufacturer and the computer is now running reliably again.

I've still got a Commodore 64 somewhere in the loft ... :D

We’d better get a charabang then!
Surely you mean Greyhound, now that'll have Lady P wanting to come, sorry I digress, but then that is the great fun of this forum, that, the wonderful pictures and the knowledge whether it be an 18th/9th Century Map/Picture or a problem with some one's Iphone 15 or Windows XLPS 19, the answer comes, so to hell with it we'll get a double decker and all go.

Bob

There used to be a question you had to fill in asking if you were coming to the states for an immoral purpose. No doubt in the opinion of the authorities there anyone opposing Trump would probably fit that category

The title of this thread is "Robots, what are they"? We have a robot that lives in our garage. We have tried to train him to do useful things but he just sits there and grins at us. We're quite used to him now and he is part of our family. We call him Cuthbert, our friendly robot. Dave.

Back