• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roberts, Penelope Ellise Annie

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Penelope E A Roberts born 1929 in Liverpool. Her mother's maiden name given as Curphey. In 1931 sailed from Liverpool to Valparaiso, Chile on the Orduna with Curphey Roberts who was born in 1886 (Possibly her mother?). Address was given as 60 Green Lane, Liverpool.
In 1946, aged 17, she sailed to New York on the 'Queen Elisabeth' and in 1955 again sailed to New York this time on the 'Parthia'.
She possibly has Irish Connections. Details of the New York sailings may be in the ‘British and Irish Roots Collection’ of FindMyPast but my subscription doesn’t give me access to this. However there is also some information on the Ellis Island site www.libertyellisfoundation.org - need to register but there is no charge.
Hope this helps and that I have the correct person!

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jukebox records show that she came back to Liverpool from New york landing on 13th August 1955
Penelope was the daughter of Ellis Roberts b 1873 Wales and Annie Smellie Storrie Curphey b 1886 Glasgow.
Ellis and Annie married in Montreal 1928 in Presbyterian church.
They both appear to have travelled extensively there are journeys taken to S America and Canada by Annie Curphey and Ellis was a mariner, Captain Ellis Roberts travelled to Montreal in 1926.
1939 'La Ruca' Booker avenue , Glenathol Rd, Liverpool
Ellis Roberts b 14th May 1873 Retired Master mariner
Annie S S Roberts b 3rd Sept 1886
there is no entry for Penelope on 1939 register.
Ellis and Annie are at this address in 1945.
Carla,I hope this helps you(espero que esto te ayude)

I don't think we can take this further as it has no connection with Birmingham.

Last edited:

Carla1986

proper brummie kid
[QUOTE = "jukebox, post: 649417, miembro: 33648"]
Penélope EA Roberts nació en Liverpool en 1929. El apellido de soltera de su madre se llama Curphey. En 1931 navegó de Liverpool a Valparaíso, Chile en la Orduna con Curphey Roberts, quien nació en 1886 (¿Posiblemente su madre?). La dirección fue dada como 60 Green Lane, Liverpool.
En 1946, con 17 años, navegó a Nueva York en la 'Reina Elisabeth' y en 1955 navegó nuevamente a Nueva York esta vez en la 'Partia'.
Ella posiblemente tiene conexiones irlandesas. Los detalles de los viajes en Nueva York pueden estar en la "Colección de raíces británica e irlandesa" de FindMyPast, pero mi suscripción no me da acceso a esto. Sin embargo, también hay información en el sitio de Ellis Island www.libertyellisfoundation.org : es necesario registrarse, pero no hay cargos.
Espero que esto ayude y que tenga la persona correcta!
[/CITAR]
Thank you so much, really appreciated

Carla1986

proper brummie kid
Lo siento, una pregunta más el apellido materno va primero o el apellido paterno Enel nombre de las personas en Inglaterra?

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
En Inglaterra el nombre materno no se usa normalmente. En las raras ocasiones en que se usa, el nombre materno suele ser el primero.

In England the maternal name is not used normally. On the rare occasions when it is used, the maternal name is usually first.

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Carla ,I hope the information given has been of interest but as the people Ellis b Wales, Annie b Glasgow and Penelope b Liverpool have no link to Birmingham perhaps it would be in your interest to search a Liverpool forum.