• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Robert Scott Milton Street Newtown

Sahar

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I'm tracing my family tree and have come across a Robert Scott and his wife Elizabeth (3x great grandparents). They are listed on the 1881 census as living in a caravan in Milton street, Newtown. I find this odd! Would they just have been parked up? Were they travellers? By 1891 they seemed to have a house in Milton Street. Anybody with any info to help clear this up would be amazing. Thanks x

just had a look at the 81 census and the house listed before the caravan is no 17 the house listed after the caravan is no 25 which suggests to me they could have been living on waste ground in the caravan...all 3 children were born in different places so they certainly travelled around also the the occupation of rag gatherer would suggest this...on the 1891 the family seem to be doing a little better..

Many thanks for that x
Sorry , Sahar for the Ha Ha. It was a slip of the fingers and I do not seem able to delete it !

Lyn
This map c1889 shows that there was an area of cleared or waste ground between 17 and 25. The numbering was consecutive (1,2,,3...) and the numbers are from a similar later map c1950

map c1889 milton st.jpg

thanks for the map mike so my guess was correct then....as said earlier by 1891 the scott family had got their own house at court 6 back of no 162 and was a house painter

lyn

definition of a rag gatherer is

Rag Gatherer: a dangerous job usually performed by agile children. It involved darting under moving machinery to collect rags and remnants before the machinery swung back at them. Accidents and maiming were common.

lyn

Back