• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roast chestnut vendor !!

Heath Street

master brummie
Is this my imagination! I am sitting at my computer attacking the family tree once more when I had this vision of a Roast Chestnut Vendor somewhere in the centre of Birmingham in about 1950's - A bridge comes to mind, an uphill walk, long road - my dad, my mum and brother walking from goodness knows where to... its a long time ago but very vivid - Val a former Heath Street resident - many years ago.

Not chestnuts but potatoes is my recollection. I think there was one near Snow Hill station but I guess there were a few scattered around the city centre. I understand these purveyors and their apparatus still are in use in some cities but back in the 1950's you were able to smell them by the smoke from their chimneys as well as the cooked foods.

You have probably caused many folks here to put on their thinking caps so hopefully we may yet see some more posts giving geographical locations in the City.

Hello, I remember potatoes at the bottom of the ramp from New Street station in the 60's. Little potatoes, no butter but covered in salt and handed over in a small paper bag. Possibly, as I don't like roast chestnuts, I wouldn't have been on the look out for them. Anne

Yes there definitely was one in Stephenson Place, bottom of the ramp as you came out of New Street Station. I think this one was there for a very long time. Viv.

There definitely was. I just love roast chestnuts - this one is the only one I can remember.

yes viv he was there for years at that location..i used to love the smell as i went past...

lyn

Oooo Lyn now you're talking ... I remember them especially at Christmas, you could see the glowing coals inside the truck thingy. Viv.

Oooo Lyn now you're talking ... I remember them especially at Christmas, you could see the glowing coals inside the truck thingy. Viv.

that right viv i remember..even now when i do baked spuds in the oven the smell takes me back to not just the vendors up town but also of bonfire night...we always had half the street in our back garden because it was so big..massive bonfire after weeks of collecting and mom would always do baked spuds and road chestnuts and oranges for all who turned up...sorry for rambling on but they were such happy times and certain smells bring it all back to me

lyn

I can smell them taters now

Attachments

• BAKED POTATOES.jpg
    BAKED POTATOES.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 52
Great memories Lyn and Viv: I remember the Hot Chestnut men (always men) both at Snow Hill and New Street. The smell was heavenly and often you couldn't resist
buying some. I found this article and comments from the Birmingham Post about Hot Chestnuts in Brumhttps://www.birminghampost.net/tm_headline=it-s-chest-nut-the-same&method=full&objectid=16453677&siteid=50002-name_page.html

This link is about Street hawkers of the past and their vehicles, etc. It's a great read with illustrations. https://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/00-app1/trade-st.htm

hi jenny oh yes of course there was a ventor at snow hill although i dont recall him i have read about it...

thanks jim..its baked spuds for us on monday night lol

I remember the hot potato vendor at Snow Hill at the station entrance. Lovely little potatoes in a triangular paper bag with a touch of salt. I have never forgotten them.

Remember the potato man by the New Street ramp, am sure there was a chestnut seller by the old outdoor Bull Ring markets/ St Martins, at least at Christmas, dad and I used to go "up the Bullring" to get the turkey from the market on Xmas Eve and had some to eat on the way home - while poor dad was struggling under the weight of the turkey lol
Sue

To everyone that replied - It brought back the smell, atmosphere, dark nights, chilly weather and feeling of comfort! Strange, the picture of Potato Man didn't seem to ring a bell - I could see a Brazier - would that mean Chestnuts! Sure Health & Safety would have something to say now... Val

Theoretically the hot potato man would have been around more often that the hot chestnut one, on the assumption that potatoes are usually available all year around where chestnuts usually are not. I can't see anyone buying enough chestnuts for an all year round supply, but of course, I could be wrong.

Maybe we have purveyors of these products who have not yet read these posts, or descendent's of them?

Is this my imagination! I am sitting at my computer attacking the family tree once more when I had this vision of a Roast Chestnut Vendor somewhere in the centre of Birmingham in about 1950's - A bridge comes to mind, an uphill walk, long road - my dad, my mum and brother walking from goodness knows where to... its a long time ago but very vivid - Val a former Heath Street resident - many years ago.

I remember the chap that used to have his mobile oven on Navigation St near the 62 bus stop, at the junction of Hill St, that was an uphill walk.
They were usually burnt to a cinder but we still bought them!

l remember we had a bake potato man on the corner of Burlington st and Newtown Row.opposite Griffins the greengrocers...it must have been early '50s...it was lovely to get off the bus or tram on a cold winters day, buy a hot baked potato in a three cornered bag not to forget the salt....sometimes it was good for a hand warmer as well,... nothing like todays baked potatos filled with so much "stuff" one can barley taste the potato...Brenda

I recall a chestnut seller with his oven on a wooden cart based at the junction of New St, Corporation St & Stephenson St.
The aroma was always delightful....

Back