• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rivers : River Rea

In my early life the river Rea played a big part we lived in a cul de sack and at the bottom was the entrance to Colmers Farm sports field in Rubery and in the very back corner the Callow brook joined the river Rea, half the homes backed on to the field so it became our play site we use to dam the Rea and stop the flow flood the local area get soaked playing then go home and tell my mother I got splashed by a frog HA HA

I don't think anybody has mentioned the confluence (is that the right word) of The Rea and the Bournbrook which used to be inside Cannon Hill Park just adjacent to the paddling pool. Where we kids used to spend more time paddling than in the actual paddling pool it was certainly cleaner. As I remember it back then the bridge in the photo wasn't there then and must have been built with Birmingham Zoo which later became a Nature Reserve.

Edgbaston Cannon Hill River Rea & the Bournbrook..jpg

Us Saltley kids use to swim in the river rea on hot summers days in late 70s early 80s
we would get in on by landor street and montague street
Theres a tunnel we called the DARK HALF HOUR as it took half hour in the dark get too one end too other
plus theres a waterfall we used a lot, we saved a fair few dogs over the years aswell who were trapped down there.
Great times with great people during hard times with my mother bringing 5 of us up on her own.
hope u like the photos below ive took
The photos were taken between Montague Street and High street Deritend

Last edited:
Never ventured that far up the Rea.Were the railway club was there were no trees just nice clean walls.See my posts earlier.Post 143 I was 6 IN 1945

Last edited:
Some photographs taken recently in underground outlets of the River Rea at :

The report includes a link to work carried out in the selly park area on the Rea at :https://www.reacatchmentpartnership.co.uk/component/k2/itemlist?start=0

There's a DVD on Birmingham's River Rea. I believe it runs into The Tame which runs into The Trent which runs into The Humber which finally runs into The North Sea. Is this correct?
Steve, I don't suppose u have watched the DVD?. I am trying to find photos/ info on the GUSH as we called it. It was located parallel to train lines in Longbridge/Northfield back of the Kallamazoo. Many memories sliding down it on a tray. We tried to find it today but it looks like the river has been re routed part of the river over last 20 yrs ish. Any one remember the GUSH? X

Back