• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ritz Dance Hall Kings Heath.

I used to use the Brum Cavern, met my 1st wife there (nuff said about that )..

Yes, I went to the Ritz a couple of times or so to see local bands, around 66/67.
Saw Robert Plant when he was fronting the Band of Joy.

Lots of famous bands appeared at the Ritz in the 60s, The Beatles in 1963, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Pink Floyd.
I wish I had been old enough to see them.

Lots of famous bands appeared at the Ritz in the 60s, The Beatles in 1963, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Pink Floyd.
The Kinks were regulars at the Brum Kavern and The Ritz. I saw them several times before they were really famous.

Saw most of the early 60s bands at the Ritz, Rockin Berries were regular support band. Saw the original Yardbirds there, they were on late. My step sister was only 14 and Eric Clapton mad about I took her got a right rollicking when we arrived home at 1am. Saw the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Swinging Blue Jeans, Jonny Kidd and the Pirates, Gene Vincent trouble with Gene Vincent it was full of Greasers which you did not want if you were a Mod. To Jill Riley who used to work at Lloyd’s bank just to let you know you deserved better than me if you ever come on this site. When I think about it Jill was probably short for Gillian. I think she may have worked at the same time as Jennifer Watson at Lloyd’s Bank and Jill used to go down a passage to go home which was amongst the shops in Kings Heath High St a bit further down the road when Lloyd’s Bank was on the corner.
I really need someone who knew Jill or Gillian Riley to come on here and see this.
In December 1965 I told Miss Riley I would not be seeing her again.
I went home that night I am sure she started crying. About three weeks later I was on the top floor of the bus 48 or 50 Jill came on I just nodded towards her I could not look her in the face as I was not only sorry for what I had done I was totally ashamed.
After that night I never used that bus route as it went through Kings Heath I also never went to the Ritz again.
Jennifer Watson knew as I did I had made the biggest mistake of my life.
I was not man enough to go and see Jill so thought I will leave Birmingham so I went to work in Jersey.
I came home October 1966, I had not even tried to chat up a young woman since the night I left Jill.
I still beat myself up 3 to 4 times a week now about that night 57 years later
Jennifer Watson when I told her what the real story was about that December night in 1965. She said that’s not the Terry I know.
I replied Jennifer what got over me when I used to kiss Jill I said I felt overwhelmed and Besotted with her.
I just need to know she had a good life hopefully she met a young man who swept her off her feet and looked after her as I should have done.
I am now sometime next week going Kings Heath around where Jill lived to see if anyone has any idea what became of Jill or Gillian. Jill if you ever get to see this. I am as sorry now and ashamed now as was three weeks after that night.
I beat myself up most days about this night. This may be the most stupid thing I have done in my life. 07399336968.
If anyone knew her Jennifer Goodhead (nee Watson) passed away.
She worked in her younger years at Lloyd’s Bank Kings Heath.

Last edited:
My wife and I were regulars at The Ritz around 1963-65 before we got married. I remember seeing John Lee Hooker and Wilson Pickett among many others and a band from Walsall, The Redcaps always impressed me. Great memories locked away for ever.

I often used to accompany my elder brother and his girlfriend to the Ritz. One evening they drove me there just in time to see Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers whom I loved. When they finished I asked Cliff for his autograph, only time I've ever had the courage. He charmingly did so! Other frequented places not far from Kings Heath, the Taboo in Stirchley (often saw The Rockin' Berries here) and the Station Inn in Selly Oak where I saw Stevie Winwood when he was only 16.
Happy days!

I often used to accompany my elder brother and his girlfriend to the Ritz. One evening they drove me there just in time to see Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers whom I loved. When they finished I asked Cliff for his autograph, only time I've ever had the courage. He charmingly did so! Other frequented places not far from Kings Heath, the Taboo in Stirchley (often saw The Rockin' Berries here) and the Station Inn in Selly Oak where I saw Stevie Winwood when he was only 16.
Happy days!
Steve Winwood with the Spencer Davies Group was only 14 when they appeared at The Whiskey Agogo. The Taboo now that was another place to avoid went twice full of Greasers.

In 2012 it was a cash converters - although I first recall it as a Bingo Hall.
1648127692057.png

By 2014
1648127739546.png

Haven't been in Kings Heath for a while so I have no idea what has happened to the site since - still reduced to rubble on last streetview 2018.

Back