• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ritz Dance Hall Kings Heath.

I usually park at the end of Billesley Lane and walk up Institute Road.
Well I plucked up the courage to go to Kings Heath today. Managed to park in Heathfield Rd. It has changed a lot and not for the better. I took a photo on my phone of the old Ritz site just boards now with weeds higher than the boards. My wife Marion said Jennifer Watson had said to her Terry will not go through Kings Heath this was before we were married because if Jill Riley got on the bus and gave him a forgiving smile Marion you would be history. Well Marion and I have 54 years of history. The more I think about Jill Riley. She could have been Gillian or even Reilly.

Last edited:
Yes, most of my young and teenage days. As well as playing there we used to cut across across to "The Prince" and over The Stiles, over Berry Mound, the sandpits and down to the aqueduct. We were very lucky in those days, living where we did, loads of fields to run around in. When I was a kid there was a row of prefabs in Glenavon, do you remember them ?
I am wondering if those sand pits are still there. They were alive with Sand Martins nests around this time of year.

If coming by car be warned many of side roads are no longer through roads. Kings Heath low traffic zones. Means Alcester Road/ High Street very slow to traffic.
Janice, Marion said you are eating better and sleeping better now Wednesday last week. Friday morning 3am I woke up, ruddy hell had a dream I am in the Ritz dancing with Jill Riley. I said to Marion I think this girl is going to have the last laugh. One good thing I can talk about Jill without cracking up now.

Last edited:
PM is called a conversation on here.
You have already allowed "private conversation" so anyone wishing to contact you can click on your name or avatar and click on "start conversation".
You will then get a red 1 by the little envelope at the top right. Click on that to read the message and reply.
You can edit your message to remove your email address.

The bollweevills from erdington got a gig at plaza handsworth Tom jones was top bill but he couldn’t make it so the newly signed up bollweevills from erdington were announced as the top billing , from London, it worked and they never stopped working all venues for the Reagan’s, there, lead guitar was Geoff Nicholas who went on to back Black Sabbath on keyboards, unfortunately he has passed on, RIP. Bill, pete, John , are still with us although Pete has had a liver transplant, and has lung disease , but is struggling through and is chronic deaf, that’s what’s happens to drummer’s, he’s now 77, bill is 83, John unknown., they headlined with unit four plus2 ( concrete and clay) at the marine ballroom evesham, and after a gig with fortunes at the old B R S at bromford lane, they were do to meet their manager Reg Calvert but unfortunately he passed on under certain circumstances,

Attachments

• 2750FB75-D1D2-4659-B4C7-F1CEE2BEFD87.jpeg
    2750FB75-D1D2-4659-B4C7-F1CEE2BEFD87.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 11
The bollweevills from erdington got a gig at plaza handsworth Tom jones was top bill but he couldn’t make it so the newly signed up bollweevills from erdington were announced as the top billing , from London, it worked and they never stopped working all venues for the Reagan’s, there, lead guitar was Geoff Nicholas who went on to back Black Sabbath on keyboards, unfortunately he has passed on, RIP. Bill, pete, John , are still with us although Pete has had a liver transplant, and has lung disease , but is struggling through and is chronic deaf, that’s what’s happens to drummer’s, he’s now 77, bill is 83, John unknown., they headlined with unit four plus2 ( concrete and clay) at the marine ballroom evesham, and after a gig with fortunes at the old B R S at bromford lane, they were do to meet their manager Reg Calvert but unfortunately he passed on under certain circumstances,
Looking at their history just like most groups of that era.

They also are featured in Brum rocked and Brum rocked on, in two books by laurie Hornsbury, nice to go down in Birmingham rock history.
They seem to have passed me by. I saw most of the individuals and bands that were around. Denny Laine and the Diplomats were regulars Rockin Berries, Chantelle’s. Rockin Berries had a hit in their own right. Denny Laine we all know about and Ace Kefford was in the Move when they broke through. Most of these groups used to use Alex’s burger van midnight to the early hours after their gigs. Alex’s van was in a car park opposite where the Albany Hotel was built.

Last edited:
Back