• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rippingille Aston Road

Could anyone tell me exactly where Rippingille's factory was please? I seem to remember that it was on a corner but can't remember which one or what the other road was called. Also, where does Aston Road change to Aston Road North? I see that the factory was at number 40 and went to 34 but I can't place it.

Last edited:
Rippingille heater 132822apart from coal fire this is all we had for years,well through the freezing weather. great piece of kit.

Gentlemen, you are brilliant. Thank you so much. I can picture it now, in fact I'm sure I have a photo of the garage somewhere so will have to look it out. Thanks again.

Pete,

That brings me back a bit, to the cold winter of '63, a year after I married, when whilst I had work, I was still adjusting to the lower wages in Dorset compared with Brum and we had the first of our children. The merchants would only deliver a minimum of 5 CWT of coal and when we couldn't afford that, it was a case of going to the local shop and putting a 28 lb bag of coal on the pushchair. Whilst there was no waste in those bags, it was priced accordingly.

Extra heating was provided by a paraffin heater as per your post #67, which a friend gave us, and that performed sterling service. The only problem we found with that type of heater was condensation, but it was indeed a saviour when times were hard.

Maurice

All of this information after Wendy spotted a memorial stone in 2010, just what the members of this forum are good at.

Pete, I found my picture of the garage today. I'm not sure of the date but I know that it was taken by my next door neighbour, Arnold Martin who was a freelance photographer. This could be 20's or 30's I think. It's quite interesting, apart from the pumps and the description of his trade as a 'vehicle spirit merchant', as I believe you can see the Rippingille's building behind but it has a different company name. Perhaps this building fell victim to the war? I see that your photo still has the penny-farthing on display.

Attachments

• petrol Man.jpg
    petrol Man.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
In my school in Sutton, there was (and no doubt still is) a panel containing all the names, in gold lettering, of the 60+ boys from the school who lost their lives in the Great War. Of all the names there, there was always just one which fascinated me and invariably drew my eye, Rippingille. I suppose it was because it was such an unusual name, very distinct from the Bakers, Smiths and Walkers. And another panel told me that he had been Victor Ludorum (i.e. top athlete) at the School in 1909, 1910 and 1911, which added to the poignancy.

Much later I learned that he was 2/Lt. Frank Alexander Rippingille of the 1st East Yorkshire Regiment who died aged 21 on 11th November 1914 near Armentieres. His brother, 2/Lt. E.O. Rippingille, also an Old Boy of the School, survived the war. They were both the sons of Frank Sidebotham Rippingille.

(Source: "Pro Patria Mori" by Dave Phillips, 1999)

Pete, I found my picture of the garage today. I'm not sure of the date but I know that it was taken by my next door neighbour, Arnold Martin who was a freelance photographer. This could be 20's or 30's I think. It's quite interesting, apart from the pumps and the description of his trade as a 'vehicle spirit merchant', as I believe you can see the Rippingille's building behind but it has a different company name. Perhaps this building fell victim to the war? I see that your photo still has the penny-farthing on display.
it was built on the site of the bombed dobson and crother. the penny farthing was there until they buldozed the lot for the aston expressway. have a look at
Then & Now

Thanks for the link Pete. Some good pictures there. I'm a bit puzzled though as, reading through this thread, the company seems to have been on this site since the late 1800's and yet it seems as though the Dobson & Crowther building takes up all the space. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks for the link Pete. Some good pictures there. I'm a bit puzzled though as, reading through this thread, the company seems to have been on this site since the late 1800's and yet it seems as though the Dobson & Crowther building takes up all the space. Your help is really appreciated.
looking around the www, it seems that rippingilles was next door to dobson and crowther. and when d/b got bombed
rippingilles moved in there space.building a ext on there existing property. rippingilles was there on the corner when i lived there in the late 50s. (more pics needed now please)

A Utube video from the National archives on this subject. Mentions Rippengille, Tonks and Arden hill , all from Birm ingham

A good reminder of heating. We didn’t have Victorian fireplaces - ours were 1930s - but there were many similarities. My mum couldn’t wait to get rid of them in favour of gas fires.

Had forgotten about bellows. We had a pair, which came in useful having coal fires in both back and front rooms. The front room fire was rarely lit as we all generally clustered around the back room fire. This often smoked into the room, and created an unpleasant chocking sensation in the back of the throat. There was no other heating in the house. And the fire had a boiler at the back which heated all our hot water. It can’t have been very efficient and hot water wasn’t at all plentiful. So my mum did have a point. One thing I always loved was to sit in front of a glowing fire and make up stories about what I could see. There’s no doubt coal fires were cosy if you could get beyond the time it took to get them going and cleaning out the ashes.

Viv.

This thread stirs up memories of our old 'black lead grate' as it was called. Arriving home from school to a roaring fire on winters day and sitting in front of it toasting some bread on the old wire toasting fork. As we had no other means of heat in the house mom often used bricks or the oven plate in the stove, wrapped in cloth, to warm our beds. Also cotton sheets of course. It was my job to polish the fire up each Saturday. On one occasion, for some reason Mom had put some sauce bottles in the oven, forgot, and lit the fire. Next thing we knew was an explosion in the oven and found it covered in sauce. Those were the days !!. When the fire wouldn't start very well, we held News papers in front which often caught fire, the paper being drawn up the chimney and sometimes setting it on fire if it had not been swept for a while

looking around the www, it seems that rippingilles was next door to dobson and crowther. and when d/b got bombed
rippingilles moved in there space.building a ext on there existing property. rippingilles was there on the corner when i lived there in the late 50s. (more pics needed now please)
A bit late coming to this but I'm pretty sure that this is the bomb damaged building of Dobson & Crowther, it looks as though it was at least 4 floors high and was replaced by just a single level.

Attachments

• astonroadnorth1.jpg
    astonroadnorth1.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back