• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rippingille Aston Road

I don't mean to be morbid - but it would be interesting to know what caused JD's death.

I suppose it could have been a hundred different reasons but I was wondering if he might have to gone to the South Coast for some kind of convalescence - but finally succumbed to an illness??!!

T

In view of the "Villiers" included in the information that Brian has added, I thought that the artist that I mentioned in #15 could be connected, so I've had another trawl
This is an interesting link https://www.benedictheal.com/personal/family/FH/fam244.html . It shows that Edward Villiers Rippingille (artist) is actually Edward Alexander's father!

Edward Villiers Rippingille death is registered Q2 1859, West Bromwich 6b 420

I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works here but I noted that there was quite a lengthy entry for Edward Villiers Rippingille in the Dictionary of National Biography. And yet it makes no mention of the marriage that supposedly produced EA! That's odd!!

But it does seem to answer one question - i.e. his death in West Bromwich.

I live in West Brom and had never heard him associated with the town. But it seems he simply died at the railway station. One says Swan Village, the other Swan Valley. I think the former is correct.

If anyone is interested - here is the full entry from the DNB.

Rippingille, Edward Villiers (c.1790–1859), genre and portrait painter, is recorded in early dictionaries as having been born in 1798 the son of a farmer of King's Lynn in Norfolk. However, the poet John Clare, a close friend of Rippingille in the 1820s, recalled that in 1807 or 1808 he had seen a bookseller's window full of the artist's pictures in Wisbech where, he says, Rippingille was painting portraits and giving drawing lessons. In 1813 Rippingille exhibited The Ramblers at the Norwich Society of Artists and he showed Enlisting and The Cheat Detected at the Royal Academy in 1813 and 1814, respectively. The earlier birth date of about 1790 is confirmed by the obituary notice in the Art Journal (probably written by Rippingille's friend Samuel Carter Hall, the editor) in which it is stated that Rippingille ‘had almost, if not quite, reached the allotted term of life—the three score years and ten’.

By 1817 Rippingille was living in The Mall, Clifton, then just outside Bristol. Within a year he was painting portraits of local gentry, including Charles Abraham Elton (1778–1853), scholar and poet and later sixth baronet, and Dr John King (1776–1846), surgeon and friend of Dr Thomas Beddoes, Humphrey Davy, S. T. Coleridge, and Robert Southey. His first notable success came in 1819 with the exhibition at the Royal Academy of A Country Post Office (copy by the artist in Leeds City Art Gallery). The retired writer on art George Cumberland commented:
A Mr Rippingale here has found out Bird's secret from chosen models by working with him and attending to his method of invention etc. He has done a Post office full of humour and will crop his teacher's laurels without ever thanking him or acknowledging it. (BL, Add. MS 36514, fol. 269)​
It is unlikely that Rippingille was a formal pupil of Edward Bird RA (1772–1819) and his fine and intimate portrait of Bird in his studio (priv. coll., USA) suggests a respectful friendship. In 1822 Rippingille showed The Recruiting Sergeant (Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery) at the Royal Academy where David Wilkie had created such unprecedented excitement the previous year with Chelsea Pensioners Reading the Gazette of the Battle of Waterloo. Rippingille's painting depicts a crowded village gathering at which soldiers tempt gullible young men with the king's shilling. It lacks the compositional coherence and swirling triumphalism of Wilkie's masterpiece, but it has a more sensitive observation of the variety of human character and was a biting commentary on the mistreatment of soldiers who had fought in the Napoleonic wars. It is Rippingille's most original work. On 22 March 1822 George Cumberland had written to his son in London describing the painting, as ‘a fine picture in Bird's style or better perhaps’ (BL, Add. MS 36509, fol. 42). He related that he had given Rippingille a letter of introduction to Thomas Stothard RA, and proudly noted that he was depicted in the painting. In the same letter he described Rippingille as ‘a sour-tempered and unpolished being with little religion and little regard for anyone. He keeps no friends and his politics are radical in the extreme, but he don't want for talent in painting’ (ibid.). In fact Rippingille had a wide circle of acquaintances and friends, although he exasperated many of them by his wayward behaviour. Probably through Elton he had met Mrs Emmerson, patron of John Clare, the poet.

Early in June 1822 Rippingille spent two weeks with Clare in London. They met again in late June and July 1824, visiting ale houses, prize fights, Astley's Amphitheatre, and the French Playhouse, where they both fell for a beautiful actress. With Elton they called on Deville, the phrenologist, and Rippingille took Clare to the studio of Sir Thomas Lawrence, the president of the Royal Academy who, as Clare recorded,
paid Rip several fine compliments about his picture of the breakfast at an Inn and told him of his faults in a free undisguised manner but with great kindness … told him that the Royal Family … took more notice of his picture than all the rest—but Rip would not own it for he affects a false appearance of such matters. (Clare, 153–4)​
The painting in question is Rippingille's best-known work, The Stage Coach Breakfast (RA, 1824; Clevedon Court, Somerset). It records, with deliberate nostalgia, Bristol's remarkable literary associations a quarter-century earlier, including portraits of Coleridge, Lamb, Southey, and Wordsworth, of Elton and his family, and of others including John Gibbons, Rippingille's patron, and of Rippingille himself ironically being offered the bill.

Rippingille reluctantly left Clare in London and hurried back to Bristol to prepare a series of lectures on art delivered at the Bristol Institution. John King noted a great drop in attendance between the first and second lectures, but an improvement in his delivery despite long-winded digressions. King had earlier lamented that ‘authorship, lecturing and music are too many pursuits to be carried on with habits of late rising etc’ (John King to John Gibbons, 18 Jan 1823, Gibbons papers). Rippingille continued to lecture—for example at Gloucester and Worcester in 1829—and his writing later much increased. His punning and salacious poem ‘Address to Echo’ was published in the London Magazine in August 1824. He founded the Artist and Amateur's Magazine. Twelve monthly numbers were produced from March 1843 with much of the content written by Rippingille. After its demise the Art Union gloated that it had been aimed too much at the professional. A series of articles by Rippingille entitled ‘Personal reflections of artists’ was published, mostly posthumously, in the Art Journal. Among them is the famous description of J. M. W. Turner on varnishing day at the Royal Academy. He wrote tales of brigands for Bentley's Magazine and appeared regularly in the role of Pictor in the Revd John Eagles's articles for Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine between 1833 and 1835. He had earlier illustrated Eagles's satirical poem Rhymes, Latin and English by Themaninthemoon, published in Bristol in 1826.

In the 1820s Rippingille undertook a number of ambitious historical paintings of medieval subjects, of which the finest was The Funeral Procession of William Canynge to St Mary Redcliffe, 1474 (RA, 1822; Clevedon Court). The ironfounder D. W. Acraman unsuccessfully offered it to the newly founded Bristol Institution in the hope of prompting the formation of a collection of works by Bristol artists. In 1829 the institution did acquire Rippingille's model for his sculpture Sleep, but only after insisting that the subject's bosom was covered in drapery. The subscription that had been raised to buy the finished work was directed to a commission to paint The Temptation of Christ in order to enable Rippingille to travel to Italy; neither the sculpture nor the painting, which was completed in 1836, have survived. Rippingille, who set out for Italy in 1830, got no further than Germany. He finally moved from Bristol to London in 1832, and married his long-suffering mistress, Sarah Reedman, mother of three of his seven children:
while at Bristol it did not matter whether or not she was my wife: on leaving Bristol I knew it would be likely we shall be thrown into another sort of company and in order not to compromise my friends … I have married her. (E. V. Rippingille to John Gibbons, 30 May 1832, Gibbons papers)​
His four daughters with Mary Jellds—Mary, Olivia, Ellen, and Emma—had been baptized in St Paul's Church, Bristol, on 4 November 1825. His three children with Sarah Reedman—Fanny, Catherine, and Thornton—were baptized in the same church on 12 May 1830.

In 1832 Rippingille spent six weeks in France with the Bristol artist James Baker Pyne. By the winter of 1834–5 Rippingille's wife and family had moved there, but the artist himself was living in London with his model, a Miss Smith. In 1836 he sold the series of six paintings The Progress of Intemperance (Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool) for £300, perhaps prompting his journey to Italy in 1837. After stays in Paris and Florence, he arrived in Rome at Christmas at the height of the cholera epidemic and he may have remained there until 1841. In 1843 he won a prize in the Westminster Hall fresco competition, but no commission followed. He continued to exhibit regularly at the Royal Academy until 1849 and intermittently thereafter until 1857. He died suddenly at the railway station at Swan Valley in Staffordshire on 22 April 1859. Many years later his close friend S. C. Hall wrote:
Poor wayward RIPPINGILLE! Always struggling against a conviction that fate withheld from him the greatness that was his right! … A constitutional irritability, a proneness to debate, and that which is very dangerous to artists—a liking to use the pen—stood terribly in his way; and he never fulfilled … the promise he had given in youth. (Hall, 491)​
John Clare, who had no doubts about Rippingille's genius, described him with affection as ‘a rattling sort of odd fellow with a desire to be thought one’ (Clare, 138). But it is his own words that best express both his humour and his cussedness: ‘It is a fact that has been ascertained by actual experiment, that artists will die if they are not fed’ (Felix Farley's Bristol Journal, 26 Feb 1825).

In those days people with TB flocked to Bournemouth/Boscombe if they could afford it, for the fresh sea breezes. A big convalescent home (now flats) was built - but there were also huge houses so it is entirely likely that mr Rippingille was there for his health.
Sheri

Here's the marriage of Edwrad Villiers Rippingille on IGI:
Spouse: Jane TURNER
Marriage: 18 MAY 1815 Saint Paul Covent Garden, Westminster, London, England
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

invisible.gif
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. M001571 1653 - 1837

"The Post Office" by Edward Villiers Rippingille, 1820.

Attachments

• 1820-edward-rippingale the post office.jpg
    1820-edward-rippingale the post office.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4
Had a look today at the Rippingille grave with Colin Giles at Key Hill - sorry i do not yet have a digital camera - I need one that cheap & easy to use.

The cross that should be stuck on top is laid down on the grave and is still intact. It should be a simple restoration job - Drill, pin & cement - hopefully £65 or so. Maybe the forum could help sponsor it's restoration, or have one of Wendy's lovely raffles to help? and the Friends of Key Hill and subsidise it? Unless someone can trace the family and see if they are interested?

What fantastic news! There are a couple of people on Genes Reunited looking for Edward and Alexander - one of the people is an 'Anstruther', so possibly local. Do you want me to try to get in touch with them?

Last edited:
Brian, that is great news! It is only thanks to the hard work you and Colin do in the cemetery that things like this get found :thumbsup:. It would be great if the cross could be reunited with the base.
Does the cross have any names on it?
Polly:)

I have found this thread absolutely fascinating, I passed Rippingille's factory in Aston Road numerous times in the past, assuming it was just another factory, now with the input of various members of the Forum, we know the interesting story of the founders. In an earlier post the address of the family was given as Sutton Street, Aston, just a short walk from the factory. There were a number of large, expensive houses in Sutton Street, but in my time two housed doctors, and one was the Welfare.

Sylvia
I'm pretty sure that no 4 was the second house down on the right from Park lane.
Mike

From a London newspaper in 1896 (2 years after JD's death)

Confirms that his widow continued the business after his death.

(Replacement)

T

Attachments

• morning post 16.6.1896.jpg
    morning post 16.6.1896.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of interest does anyone know the principle behind Rippingille's oil cooking stoves.

As recently as the 1970's I remember using a paraffin stove when camping whereby you had to pump it to pressurise the oil and therefore create a powerful flame.

Probably not - but I just wondered if this was Rippingille's original invention.

T

Good news!

I have managed to track down three Rippingille family members in the last 12 hours.

They were unaware of any memorial, so I have provided them with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will make contact through the forum soon. I do have a direct email address for one of the contacts, so we can always make further contact if necessary.

I don't know if this is of any interest but I found this picture - it was on an oil stove
Polly :)
(Replacement)

Attachments

• pic with 1890 rippingill stove blurb.JPG
    pic with 1890 rippingill stove blurb.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I have just picked up a Frank Rippingille 116a parafin heater. I live in Australia and i'm finding it hard to find out any information on it - i.e. age, are they common or rare and historyon the item and company that made the item.

I discovered this site while looking for information and was hoping someone could help me in my quest for knowledge of this item and info on the company.

I will add a photo if i can work out how :)

Regards

Owen

Below are my notes from an earlier entry on the forum concerning Rippingills:
From directories
No mention of rippingill 1873 & before
1876 Rippingille Alexander, lamp inanufactr. 41 Aston rd. north
1878 No commercial Rippingill firm and 41 Aston Road N orth not listed
1879 – 1884 Albion Light Co at 43 & 34 Aston Rd north
1888-95 and later AIbion Lamp Co., Aston road north (not numbered , but I think it is about no 40, close to 34)
In 1896, shortly after he dies the following was in kellys (with little picture given below). The entry for 1895 was similar , but shorter

Rippingille
Rippingille Frank, Stove Co. (The),oil stove makers,Plume street, Aston; patentees & manufacturers of oil cooking & warming stoves of every description, including the patent combination lamp stoves, atent Dutch oven stove, patent plate warmer. Patent Pure Air Greenhouse Heater, the patent revolving radiator, the patent food warmer & night light, the patent combination bracket;radiators, cooking stoves, water heaters, hot air gates,colliery & street lamps & many other specialities; estimates given for all kinds of metal work free; catalogue gratis. N.B.—Every article manufactured under the
personal supervision of Mr. Frank Rippingille, the inventor.Telephone 2650

Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co. sole &' original inventors,patentees and manufacturers of Rippingille's world renowned patent oil cooking & warming stoves, lamps,&c. &c. Aston Brook Lamp Works, Aston road north

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the above information it is very useful.

Would you happen to know when the 116a was made or the years this model was made? and also are there many of these kicking around? or are they quite hard to find?
mine is fully original and seems the only missing part is the top handle :( which i would love to try and find an original one to fit.

I have just pulled it apart and i am thinking I need a new wick and the round tin wick holder that the wick winder uses to make the wick go up and down as it is a bit rusted - would you happen to know where I could source these items?

thanks so much for the reply :)

Owen

Hi Owen: I remember seeing Rippingille's factory on Aston Road North in the 1950's. I missed the original thread on this forum re their
products. I found this site which refers to Rippingille stoves- https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41269
Can't find anything on 116a heaters though. Maybe someone on this Canal Boat forum might have some knowledge of the heaters.

There is a link on this site to a company in the UK that deals in Rippingille parts. https://www.base-camp.co.uk/

Hi Jennyann,

Thank you for your reply and information it is greatly appriciated :encouragement:

I have been to both links/sites and have sent an email to the owners of base-camp re obtaining a new wick and wick sleeve/carrier. Seems like the wick/sleeves and all parts are rare and very difficuly to find (which is good and bad i guess)
I just need a new top handle and wick ( I have the wick sleeve but its on its way out unfortunatly :sorrow: so need to try and find one from some dark corner of the UK or anywhere in the world for that matter!
Do you happen to know if the Albion Lamp Co. (thought to be located on the same street close to the Rippingilles shop) took over the Rippingilles store/factory - I have also heard that the Valor brand may have taken over the Albion Lamp Co at some latter stage?

I would be deighted to hear all or any info you may have or remember on this subject or buildings - I stumbled across this heater at a farm while visiting my parents in Byron Bay over Christmas and i think i have madly fallen in love with it and i'm driven to find out as much info as possiable :)

Hi Owen: The first post on the Spirit Burner forum is as close as I could see regarding the merging of these companies. These stoves and heaters seem to turn up on EBay sites from time to time.https://www.spiritburner.com/fusion...e/1/fid/399/tid/17579/pid/154867/post/154867/

Another link gives a bit of history of Rippingille's and it's location on a Birmingham Canal.https://bcnsociety.co.uk/?archive=1&fn=30&id=41

I found on looking around that the Rippingille name was well known for stoves and heaters in Australia and India. Here is link for a company in Australia that supplies all kinds of wicks. You might try them: https://www.milesstair.com/PERFECTION_HEATER_WICK_INSTALLATION.html

I had a penfriend many years ago now who lived in Byron Bay. Can't remember her name but remember looking up Byron Bay on the Internet. It is such a beautiful place. I seem to remember that my penfriend ran a cafe or small shop but left after a time.

Good Luck, Owen.

Dear Jennyann,

Thank you so much for all your efforts and wonderful information :biggrin:

The second link has excellent information that i hadn't seen before. I had previously emailed Miles from milesstair.com who is based in Canada. His website has a lot of great general information which has helped me in the restoration of my heater and I have ordered a new wick or one that should fit as they no longer made the wicks for the 116a but other companies make very similar ones - like the Valor 500 wick which I have ordered through his company also. Miles by way of return email said he didnt know very much at all about the Rippingilles 116a heater but did say they are now very very hard to find and parts are now almost non existant which is a shame. I didnt know any of this when I purchased the heater as I just saw it and had to buy it, so i'm very lucky that it had all parts except the top handle :triumphant:

Thank you for all your help with my little project!

Regards
Owen

Hi there, I have been told that all of the public houses along Aston Road were named after Nelsons ships i.e., The Albion, The Havelock, The Golden Cross etc. An interesting story, if true .

I can't help with the story about the pub names, but if you go to the London Gazette search page at https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/exact=Rippingill/start=1 and type "Rippingille" into the search box, you will find a total of 48 results. Many of them are to do with either patents or the Company notices, just too many to list here. Did you also know that there is a Rippingille Road in Great Barr?

Maurice

They were not necessarily at Trafalgar ,just ships from his fleets

Sue

Naval history has been my main interest for about 20 years.

Sorry to spoil a good story but I've never heard any of those names as ships in the Nelson era. Not even one of them.

Sorry.

T

Hi there Tacitus thanks, for the information, I`ll take great pleasure in informing my brother that, this time, he is wrong ! Sue

Hello MICGOU, yes I was part of the pressure group on the comittee of "Friends". I still help out where I can, thats why this thread was started as I found the Rippingille grave at Key Hill. I do a little research which adds to the information on the cemetery. Sadly I havent done much lately as I have a poorly husband. Thank you for the link.

Hi Wendy,

If you follow the link it brings you into the London Gazette
regarding the dissolution of a partnership of Lamp makers including the mystery deceased. Are you the same Wendy involved in getting the gates resored at Key Hill? I was on the committee when I lived in the JQ.

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/25308/pages/264/page.pdf

Back