• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rippingille

W

Wendy

J_D__Rippingille_memorial~0.jpg
I noticed this memorial while on my walk around Key Hill Cemetery on Saturday. My aunt used to live in Boscombe and I remember Chine gardens. I wonder what happened J D Rippinigille and who was he? There are no other inscriptions on the memorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats an interesting one Wendy. Do you think there used to be something on top of the block or is it just the way the stone has faded?
I have a friend who lives around that area and I remember her once writing that she had been walking on the 'chines' but I don't know what they are.
Polly :)

James Davey Rippingille according to FreeBMD, Wendy.

The only Google entry for him is in the Index of Passports for Madeira!

Chine Hall is now a hotel in Spa Road, Boscombe, though whether it was in 1894 it is difficult to say. Can't find him on 1881 or 1891 censuses so I've no idea what his occupation was. Moneyed traveller perhaps? :D

EDIT: But he married either Eliza Richardson or Sarah Davey at Islington in 1879.

Chines are a sort of gully/valley leading down to the sea - several in the Bournemouth/Poole area and on the Isle of Wight.

Maurice :cool:

Polly there seems to be something missing from the top of the memorial.

I have found a link it looks like his father was a painter Alexander Rippingille. Its interesting because he painted a lovely picture of Joseph Sturge who is buried in Key Hill. I found this tree on the net but the email doesn't work. https://www.benedictheal.com/personal/family/FH/fam668.html

Hi Wendy, I wonder if he was anything to do with Rippingille's factory, I think it was in Newtown Row. Others will know for sure.

I have seen references to Rippingille Stoves. I also notice the inscription reads 'deeply regretted' not sure what this means was his death an accident?

Rippengille James D aged 24 Head born Melbourne,(on original,Brighton is crossed out)Lamp Manufacturer
Rippengille Elizabeth aged 23 Wife born Islington, London
Rippengille Lilian A aged 1 Daughter born Aston, Warwickshire
Cate Julia Ann aged 22 Servant Alcester, Worcestershire General Servant
Falkner Elizabeth aged 16 Servant Kinver, Worcestershire Nursemaid Domestic
living at 4 Sutton Street, Aston, Warwickshire

Reppengall James D 24 Head born Australia Lamp Manufacturer
Reppengall Eliza 33 Wife born London
Reppengall Helen J M 8 Daughter born Aston, Warwickshire
Reppengall Frank R G 5 Son born Aston, Warwickshire
Spencer Ellen M 19 Governess born Newport, Wales
Walker Caroline 48 Servant Leominster, Herefordshire General Servant
Walpars Phoebe A 19 Servant born Wednesbury, Staffordshire General Servant
Walpars Emma 15 Servant born Wednesbury, Staffordshire General Servant
Delicott Margaret 32 Servant born Swan Village, Staffordshire General Servant
Moses James 18 Servant born West Bromwich, Staffordshire,Domestic Servant
living at Clifton Road, Sutton Coldfield

Rippingille Alexander 43 Head born Bristol, Downend, Gloucestershire,Lamp Manufacturer & Tile Merchant Employee 4 Men 1
Rippingille Ellen 30 Wife born Manchester, Haughton
Rippingille James D 14 Son born Knigton, Australia
Rippingille Harry Thomas 5 Son Scholar born Colney Hates, London
Rippingille Frank S 4 Son born Colney Hates, London
Rippingille Herbert 2 Son born Colney Hates, London
Rippingille Charles Frederick 3 M Son born Finsbury Park, London
Sidebotherne Miss Asner 27 Sister In Law Visitor born Manchester, Haughton
Carpenter Fanny 19 Servant born Cirencester, Gloucestershire Servant Domestic
living at 28 Perth Road, Edmonton

The artist Alexander Rippingille was born approx 1796 in Lynn,Norfolk,and was living in Liverpool with his 29 year old daughter Eliza in 1851

From directories
No mention of Rippingill 1873 or before
1876 Rippingille Alexander, lamp manufactr. 41 Aston rd. north
1878 No commercial Rippingill firm and 41 Aston Road N orth not listed
1879 – 1884 Albion Light Co at 43 & 34 Aston Rd north
1888-95 and later AIbion Lamp Co., Aston road north (not numbered , but I think it is about no 40, close to 34)
In 1896, shortly after he dies the following was in kellys (with little picture given below). The entry for 1895 was similar , but shorter

Rippingille
Rippingille Frank, Stove Co. (The),oil stove makers,Plume street, Aston; patentees & manufacturers of oil cooking & warming stoves of every description, including the patent combination lamp stoves, patent Dutch oven stove, patent plate warmer. Patent Pure Air Greenhouse Heater, the patent revolving radiator, the patent food warmer & night light, the patent combination bracket;radiators, cooking stoves, water heaters, hot air gates,colliery & street lamps & many other specialities; estimates given for all kinds of metal work free; catalogue gratis. N.B.—Every article manufactured under the
personal supervision of Mr. Frank Rippingille, the inventor.Telephone 2650

Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co. sole &' original inventors,patentees and manufacturers of Rippingille's world renowned patent oil cooking & warming stoves, lamps,&c. &c. Aston Brook Lamp Works, Aston road north

As far as private addresses are concerned:

1880-1890 Rippengill James, 4 Sutton St Aston
1893-1890 Rippingill.James Davey 9 Sutton St (it is a different house, not renumbering)

1892 No entry (He would be living in Sutton)
Mike

pic_with_1890_rippingill_stove_blurb.JPG

Wendy

I hadn't intended to participate in this thread but I did a couple of quick searches and realised that there is a bigger and extremely sad story to be told here.

Obviously JD Rippingille had a very untimely death - there may be more to learn there.

But it seems his father came to Birmingham to attend the funeral and died on the very same day!!

Did the son die while visiting his dad in Bournemouth and his body brought back to Birmingham for burial and then the father died in birmingham and was taken back to Torquay for burial? I'm a bit confused (doesn't take a lot):rolleyes:
Polly

It looks like his wife stayed in Torquay:
1897 & 1902 Devon Kellys, Rippingille Mrs. Westwood, Hunsdon rd, Torquay
Mike

They obviously returned JD's body to Birmingham for burial. According to the newspaper his father had homes in Torquay and Birmingham (Sutton) so he might have been returned to Torquay or buried here.

It must have been devastating sequence of events for the family.

T

A bit more census info
Edward A Rippingille 54 Head born Bristol,Lamp Maker
Ellen Rippingille 41 Wife born Haughton,West Manchester, Lancashire
Alice R Rippingille 22 Daughter born Victoria, Australia
Charles F Rippingille 10 Son born London
Gilbert Rippingille 8 Son born London
Percy Rippingille 4 Son born Wylde Green
Louisa M Naden 38 Governess born Chesterfield, Staffordshire Governess Domestic
Sarah J Smith 20 Servant born Sutton Coldfield, Domestic Servant
living at Station Road, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire
Ellen Rippingille 62 Head born Haughton West Manchester, Lancashire Living Own Means
Charles F Rippingille 31 Son born Finsbury Park, London Artist
Agnes J Sidebothane 60 born Haughton, Lancashire Sister Living Own Means
Alice L Hobbs 40 Niece born Montreal, Canada
Elsie M Pearce 23 Servant born Torquay, Devonshire Housemaid (Domestic)
Grace B Bennett 29 Servant born Isle Of Isley, Scotland Cook (Domestic)
living at Westwood, Torquay

Edward Alex Rippingille manufacturer of lamps with improved registered burner and oil merchants were at 118 Holborn Hill London in 1869.
In 1908 Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co,oil stove makers were at Stone-cutter St London
In 1916 Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co was at 214 St John St London
In 1936,they were still going at Aston Rd North in Birmingham

This was a big company I think with manufacturing places in Birmingham and London. I think they would have been a wealthy family. I have spoken to Colin Giles tonight and he tells me there is another Rippingille memorial at Key Hill.....looks like another visit with my camera. Thanks Ladylinda for all your help.

Back