• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rippingille

W

Wendy

Hello MICGOU, yes I was part of the pressure group on the comittee of "Friends". I still help out where I can, thats why this thread was started as I found the Rippingille grave at Key Hill. I do a little research which adds to the information on the cemetery. Sadly I havent done much lately as I have a poorly husband. Thank you for the link.

Hi Wendy,

If you follow the link it brings you into the London Gazette
regarding the dissolution of a partnership of Lamp makers including the mystery deceased. Are you the same Wendy involved in getting the gates resored at Key Hill? I was on the committee when I lived in the JQ.

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/25308/pages/264/page.pdf

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Could anyone tell me exactly where Rippingille's factory was please? I seem to remember that it was on a corner but can't remember which one or what the other road was called. Also, where does Aston Road change to Aston Road North? I see that the factory was at number 40 and went to 34 but I can't place it.

Last edited:

mw0njm.

Brummie dude
Rippingille heater 132822apart from coal fire this is all we had for years,well through the freezing weather. great piece of kit.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Gentlemen, you are brilliant. Thank you so much. I can picture it now, in fact I'm sure I have a photo of the garage somewhere so will have to look it out. Thanks again.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Pete,

That brings me back a bit, to the cold winter of '63, a year after I married, when whilst I had work, I was still adjusting to the lower wages in Dorset compared with Brum and we had the first of our children. The merchants would only deliver a minimum of 5 CWT of coal and when we couldn't afford that, it was a case of going to the local shop and putting a 28 lb bag of coal on the pushchair. Whilst there was no waste in those bags, it was priced accordingly.

Extra heating was provided by a paraffin heater as per your post #67, which a friend gave us, and that performed sterling service. The only problem we found with that type of heater was condensation, but it was indeed a saviour when times were hard.

Maurice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of this information after Wendy spotted a memorial stone in 2010, just what the members of this forum are good at.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Pete, I found my picture of the garage today. I'm not sure of the date but I know that it was taken by my next door neighbour, Arnold Martin who was a freelance photographer. This could be 20's or 30's I think. It's quite interesting, apart from the pumps and the description of his trade as a 'vehicle spirit merchant', as I believe you can see the Rippingille's building behind but it has a different company name. Perhaps this building fell victim to the war? I see that your photo still has the penny-farthing on display.

Attachments

• petrol Man.jpg
    petrol Man.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my school in Sutton, there was (and no doubt still is) a panel containing all the names, in gold lettering, of the 60+ boys from the school who lost their lives in the Great War. Of all the names there, there was always just one which fascinated me and invariably drew my eye, Rippingille. I suppose it was because it was such an unusual name, very distinct from the Bakers, Smiths and Walkers. And another panel told me that he had been Victor Ludorum (i.e. top athlete) at the School in 1909, 1910 and 1911, which added to the poignancy.

Much later I learned that he was 2/Lt. Frank Alexander Rippingille of the 1st East Yorkshire Regiment who died aged 21 on 11th November 1914 near Armentieres. His brother, 2/Lt. E.O. Rippingille, also an Old Boy of the School, survived the war. They were both the sons of Frank Sidebotham Rippingille.

(Source: "Pro Patria Mori" by Dave Phillips, 1999)

mw0njm.

Brummie dude
Pete, I found my picture of the garage today. I'm not sure of the date but I know that it was taken by my next door neighbour, Arnold Martin who was a freelance photographer. This could be 20's or 30's I think. It's quite interesting, apart from the pumps and the description of his trade as a 'vehicle spirit merchant', as I believe you can see the Rippingille's building behind but it has a different company name. Perhaps this building fell victim to the war? I see that your photo still has the penny-farthing on display.
it was built on the site of the bombed dobson and crother. the penny farthing was there until they buldozed the lot for the aston expressway. have a look at
Then & Now

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Thanks for the link Pete. Some good pictures there. I'm a bit puzzled though as, reading through this thread, the company seems to have been on this site since the late 1800's and yet it seems as though the Dobson & Crowther building takes up all the space. Your help is really appreciated.

mw0njm.

Brummie dude
Thanks for the link Pete. Some good pictures there. I'm a bit puzzled though as, reading through this thread, the company seems to have been on this site since the late 1800's and yet it seems as though the Dobson & Crowther building takes up all the space. Your help is really appreciated.
looking around the www, it seems that rippingilles was next door to dobson and crowther. and when d/b got bombed
rippingilles moved in there space.building a ext on there existing property. rippingilles was there on the corner when i lived there in the late 50s. (more pics needed now please)

brummy-lad

master brummie
looking around the www, it seems that rippingilles was next door to dobson and crowther. and when d/b got bombed
rippingilles moved in there space.building a ext on there existing property. rippingilles was there on the corner when i lived there in the late 50s. (more pics needed now please)
A bit late coming to this but I'm pretty sure that this is the bomb damaged building of Dobson & Crowther, it looks as though it was at least 4 floors high and was replaced by just a single level.

Attachments

• astonroadnorth1.jpg
    astonroadnorth1.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

brummy-lad

master brummie
A few more images from the Aston Road North thread originally posted by Astoness.

Attachments

• astonroadnorth19.jpg
    astonroadnorth19.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 7
  • astonroadnorth20.jpg
    astonroadnorth20.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • astonroadnorth21r.jpg
    astonroadnorth21r.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Lady Penelope

master brummie
A bit late coming to this but I'm pretty sure that this is the bomb damaged building of Dobson & Crowther, it looks as though it was at least 4 floors high and was replaced by just a single level.

That's an interesting picture brummy-lad. Can you see what's happening at the building on the opposite corner. It looks as though people are sitting outside but could be something totally different.