• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rippingille

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sylvia
I'm pretty sure that no 4 was the second house down on the right from Park lane.
Mike

Tacitus

master brummie
From a London newspaper in 1896 (2 years after JD's death)

Confirms that his widow continued the business after his death.

(Replacement)

T

Attachments

• morning post 16.6.1896.jpg
    morning post 16.6.1896.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Tacitus

master brummie
Just out of interest does anyone know the principle behind Rippingille's oil cooking stoves.

As recently as the 1970's I remember using a paraffin stove when camping whereby you had to pump it to pressurise the oil and therefore create a powerful flame.

Probably not - but I just wondered if this was Rippingille's original invention.

T

leslam

Brummie by marriage
Good news!

I have managed to track down three Rippingille family members in the last 12 hours.

They were unaware of any memorial, so I have provided them with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will make contact through the forum soon. I do have a direct email address for one of the contacts, so we can always make further contact if necessary.

pollypops

master brummie
I don't know if this is of any interest but I found this picture - it was on an oil stove
Polly :)
(Replacement)

Attachments

• pic with 1890 rippingill stove blurb.JPG
    pic with 1890 rippingill stove blurb.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

owen

Hi All,

I have just picked up a Frank Rippingille 116a parafin heater. I live in Australia and i'm finding it hard to find out any information on it - i.e. age, are they common or rare and historyon the item and company that made the item.

I discovered this site while looking for information and was hoping someone could help me in my quest for knowledge of this item and info on the company.

I will add a photo if i can work out how :)

Regards

Owen

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below are my notes from an earlier entry on the forum concerning Rippingills:
From directories
No mention of rippingill 1873 & before
1876 Rippingille Alexander, lamp inanufactr. 41 Aston rd. north
1878 No commercial Rippingill firm and 41 Aston Road N orth not listed
1879 – 1884 Albion Light Co at 43 & 34 Aston Rd north
1888-95 and later AIbion Lamp Co., Aston road north (not numbered , but I think it is about no 40, close to 34)
In 1896, shortly after he dies the following was in kellys (with little picture given below). The entry for 1895 was similar , but shorter

Rippingille
Rippingille Frank, Stove Co. (The),oil stove makers,Plume street, Aston; patentees & manufacturers of oil cooking & warming stoves of every description, including the patent combination lamp stoves, atent Dutch oven stove, patent plate warmer. Patent Pure Air Greenhouse Heater, the patent revolving radiator, the patent food warmer & night light, the patent combination bracket;radiators, cooking stoves, water heaters, hot air gates,colliery & street lamps & many other specialities; estimates given for all kinds of metal work free; catalogue gratis. N.B.—Every article manufactured under the
personal supervision of Mr. Frank Rippingille, the inventor.Telephone 2650

Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co. sole &' original inventors,patentees and manufacturers of Rippingille's world renowned patent oil cooking & warming stoves, lamps,&c. &c. Aston Brook Lamp Works, Aston road north

owen

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the above information it is very useful.

Would you happen to know when the 116a was made or the years this model was made? and also are there many of these kicking around? or are they quite hard to find?
mine is fully original and seems the only missing part is the top handle :( which i would love to try and find an original one to fit.

I have just pulled it apart and i am thinking I need a new wick and the round tin wick holder that the wick winder uses to make the wick go up and down as it is a bit rusted - would you happen to know where I could source these items?

thanks so much for the reply :)

Owen

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Staff member
Hi Owen: I remember seeing Rippingille's factory on Aston Road North in the 1950's. I missed the original thread on this forum re their
products. I found this site which refers to Rippingille stoves- https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41269
Can't find anything on 116a heaters though. Maybe someone on this Canal Boat forum might have some knowledge of the heaters.

There is a link on this site to a company in the UK that deals in Rippingille parts. https://www.base-camp.co.uk/

owen

Hi Jennyann,

Thank you for your reply and information it is greatly appriciated :encouragement:

I have been to both links/sites and have sent an email to the owners of base-camp re obtaining a new wick and wick sleeve/carrier. Seems like the wick/sleeves and all parts are rare and very difficuly to find (which is good and bad i guess)
I just need a new top handle and wick ( I have the wick sleeve but its on its way out unfortunatly :sorrow: so need to try and find one from some dark corner of the UK or anywhere in the world for that matter!
Do you happen to know if the Albion Lamp Co. (thought to be located on the same street close to the Rippingilles shop) took over the Rippingilles store/factory - I have also heard that the Valor brand may have taken over the Albion Lamp Co at some latter stage?

I would be deighted to hear all or any info you may have or remember on this subject or buildings - I stumbled across this heater at a farm while visiting my parents in Byron Bay over Christmas and i think i have madly fallen in love with it and i'm driven to find out as much info as possiable :)

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Staff member
Hi Owen: The first post on the Spirit Burner forum is as close as I could see regarding the merging of these companies. These stoves and heaters seem to turn up on EBay sites from time to time.https://www.spiritburner.com/fusion...e/1/fid/399/tid/17579/pid/154867/post/154867/

Another link gives a bit of history of Rippingille's and it's location on a Birmingham Canal.https://bcnsociety.co.uk/?archive=1&fn=30&id=41

I found on looking around that the Rippingille name was well known for stoves and heaters in Australia and India. Here is link for a company in Australia that supplies all kinds of wicks. You might try them: https://www.milesstair.com/PERFECTION_HEATER_WICK_INSTALLATION.html

I had a penfriend many years ago now who lived in Byron Bay. Can't remember her name but remember looking up Byron Bay on the Internet. It is such a beautiful place. I seem to remember that my penfriend ran a cafe or small shop but left after a time.

Good Luck, Owen.

owen

Dear Jennyann,

Thank you so much for all your efforts and wonderful information :biggrin:

The second link has excellent information that i hadn't seen before. I had previously emailed Miles from milesstair.com who is based in Canada. His website has a lot of great general information which has helped me in the restoration of my heater and I have ordered a new wick or one that should fit as they no longer made the wicks for the 116a but other companies make very similar ones - like the Valor 500 wick which I have ordered through his company also. Miles by way of return email said he didnt know very much at all about the Rippingilles 116a heater but did say they are now very very hard to find and parts are now almost non existant which is a shame. I didnt know any of this when I purchased the heater as I just saw it and had to buy it, so i'm very lucky that it had all parts except the top handle :triumphant:

Thank you for all your help with my little project!

Regards
Owen

sue from brum

Brummie babby
Hi there, I have been told that all of the public houses along Aston Road were named after Nelsons ships i.e., The Albion, The Havelock, The Golden Cross etc. An interesting story, if true .

Tacitus

master brummie
They were not necessarily at Trafalgar ,just ships from his fleets

Sue

Naval history has been my main interest for about 20 years.

Sorry to spoil a good story but I've never heard any of those names as ships in the Nelson era. Not even one of them.

Sorry.

T

sue from brum

Brummie babby
Hi there Tacitus thanks, for the information, I`ll take great pleasure in informing my brother that, this time, he is wrong ! Sue