• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

RIP. Dame Vera Lynn

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
The death has been announced of the wonderful forces sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn aged 103.

I have posted this sad news here because whenever her name was mentioned or her songs were listened to peoples' minds automatically went back to WW2.

Alberta

sorry alberta i have just posted under the condolences thread as well...but no matter this fine lady deserves 2 threads and a mention on this section...god bless you vera lynn...what a wonderful lady

I guess one advantage of being old is that I can remember hearing and seeing here in her when at the height of her career.
I also recall the esteem in which she was held by most people.

I remember going to see Vera Lynn at the Hippodrome in 1943. Great voice and she read out messages from servicemen who were overseas. My Mother used to sing Vera's songs. Great memories.
We used to queue up at the side of the Hippo' to get it "one and nines" right at the back and sometimes didn't even have a seat. Still enjoyed the shows though.

Back