• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RIP Astonian (Alan)

Only just seen this. What terrible news. I worked with Alan at Tubes Ltd between 1970-77 so have called him a friend ever since. Over the years Alan and I have spoken many times on this site, and i will sorely miss our little chats. God bless you Alan, R.I.P. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

This message is from Alans wife via Jean.

A message from Alans wife.

Hi, Jean' Yes please,, our address is 39.Crofters Green, Droitwich Spa Worcestershire WR9 9 HX,,It is very hard and raw at the moment,next Friday would have been our 44th wedding anniversary, and he was so looking forward to, I grew up in Clark Street Ladywood,.xxx Tess told me they will be scattering Alans ashes in Aston Churchyard.
We are off to get our boiler at the van fixed as the chap is coming this afternoon.

Catch you when we get back.

TTFN.

I was always interested in what Alan said and we have had a few discussion on the forum. There was only once when I had to question something he said and he came straight back very graciously saying that I was right and his memory had slipped on that occasion. We have already missed him and will continue to do so.

So sorry to hear the sad news of Alan's death. Like everyone on the Forum I enjoyed his posts very much, he was a mine of information. I had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times when he came to collect some Carl Chinn magazines and when he helped me when my car broke down. My sincere condolences to Tess and all his family. R.I.P.

This message is from Alans wife via Jean.

A message from Alans wife.

Hi, Jean' Yes please,, our address is 39.Crofters Green, Droitwich Spa Worcestershire WR9 9 HX,,It is very hard and raw at the moment,next Friday would have been our 44th wedding anniversary, and he was so looking forward to, I grew up in Clark Street Ladywood,.xxx Tess told me they will be scattering Alans ashes in Aston Churchyard.
We are off to get our boiler at the van fixed as the chap is coming this afternoon.

Catch you when we get back.

TTFN.
It would be lovely to send Tess a card to support her in her hour of need.

Alan will be dearly missed. From what I could tell, he was a kind and helpful person. I rarely read a post where Alan did not have something interesting to say. My condolences to his family.

Only just seen this, rest in peace Alan, only knew you from reading the forums. As a newish member, the story of the pools coupon at Tucker's sticks in my mind, very funny but with a tinge of what could have been. At rest in the bullring in the sky

here is the transcript of a message to jean from Allans (Astonian )wife ,Tess.

Hi jean, thany you for asking, also the beautiful card, Alan;s funeral is to take place at Worcester Crematorium 28th May at 1.45 we are planning to hold a memorial service for him at Aston Parish Church where is his ashes will be placed in in the garden of Remembrance at a date yet to be decided, it will be the hardest day of my life to be finally parted from the love of my life, he will be greatly missed, all the messages of sympathy have been a great comfort to us .all, i will let you know when the memorial service will take place, I have received a beautiful message from Carl Chinn, who remembers Alan, and how well famed the Jelf family (alan's mom side) in Aston. xxx
TTFN. Jean.

Just found this thread.Please accept my apologies for the question I put to Astonion the other day.Ive only been on this forum a short time and didn't know about his illness.Please accept my Condolences.The question was about Walter Marsh on theMarsh & Baxter thread.

Last edited:
Back