• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

RIP Astonian (Alan)

Most sad news for his family and friends, naturally. Equally sad for many of the Members of BHF who knew him, or knew of him through his posts. I only knew him from his posts, but they were always worth reading and spoke of much of Birmingham's past and the lives of people in those former times. Aston and Ladywood were always close to his heart.
His legacy will live on to those close to him and to us here on BHF.
Farewell, good and faithful friend. RIP +++

I only know Alan from his always interesting posts on the Forum. One that sticks in my mind is how he really captures what it was like to be a child at the time...

“...yes it was Roy rogers and when I came out at the end the boyish mood took over trotting along the rd afew paces whilst doing it slapping my side as the cow boys slap the side of the horse to go faster

I pretended to talk to trigger saying whoa trigger at the kerb then when I seen the red clear the busy Aston red north I said come on trigger but we met with a baby Austin car and on the bonnet I went right up in the air and travelled along in the air and ended up yards from the picture house...”

RIP

Last edited:
I was very saddened by the news of Alan's passing. This forum will miss him and his valued contributions immensely. My condolences to his loved ones for their loss.

Expected news but still very sad, he was a real character, RIP Alan and condolences to his family and friends.

Sadly I never met Alan but he will never be forgotten because of all the contributions he has made to this site. My condolences to his family.

Yes sad news, if not unexpected even so no less of a heartbreak for his family. My condolences to them. RIP Alan.

R.I.P Alan, thank you for sharing your knowledge, you will be missed.
My condolences to the Family.

Very sad to hear the news regarding Alan (Astonian) his knowledge and numerous anecdotes will be sorely missed. My sincerest condolences to his loved ones RIP Alan.

Lozellian.

Goodbye to a fellow Astonian...never met him, or any other on this forum, but I do feel a very close connection. Rest in Peace and enjoy heaven Alan.
Dave A

Only just seen this. What terrible news. I worked with Alan at Tubes Ltd between 1970-77 so have called him a friend ever since. Over the years Alan and I have spoken many times on this site, and i will sorely miss our little chats. God bless you Alan, R.I.P. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

This message is from Alans wife via Jean.

A message from Alans wife.

Hi, Jean' Yes please,, our address is 39.Crofters Green, Droitwich Spa Worcestershire WR9 9 HX,,It is very hard and raw at the moment,next Friday would have been our 44th wedding anniversary, and he was so looking forward to, I grew up in Clark Street Ladywood,.xxx Tess told me they will be scattering Alans ashes in Aston Churchyard.
We are off to get our boiler at the van fixed as the chap is coming this afternoon.

Catch you when we get back.

TTFN.

I was always interested in what Alan said and we have had a few discussion on the forum. There was only once when I had to question something he said and he came straight back very graciously saying that I was right and his memory had slipped on that occasion. We have already missed him and will continue to do so.

So sorry to hear the sad news of Alan's death. Like everyone on the Forum I enjoyed his posts very much, he was a mine of information. I had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times when he came to collect some Carl Chinn magazines and when he helped me when my car broke down. My sincere condolences to Tess and all his family. R.I.P.

This message is from Alans wife via Jean.

A message from Alans wife.

Hi, Jean' Yes please,, our address is 39.Crofters Green, Droitwich Spa Worcestershire WR9 9 HX,,It is very hard and raw at the moment,next Friday would have been our 44th wedding anniversary, and he was so looking forward to, I grew up in Clark Street Ladywood,.xxx Tess told me they will be scattering Alans ashes in Aston Churchyard.
We are off to get our boiler at the van fixed as the chap is coming this afternoon.

Catch you when we get back.

TTFN.
It would be lovely to send Tess a card to support her in her hour of need.

Back