• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ringway Club

boro keith

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone remember the Ringway Club I think it was in Bromsgrove Street. If I remember right it was open in the afternoon as well as through the night. There was a gaming room on the ground floor and bar and dance floor on the first floor.

Re: Ringway Clup

HI ; Yes i can recall the ringway it later became a gay venue meeting place for gays then they moved to another place in the small brook ring way
the ring way was the formerly the pink elephant club in the late fifties and the early sixties then the gays commutity moved to a big venue in thorpe street down the side of te hipodrome and across from the T A Army barracks in the seventies and eighties
the pink elephant on bromscrove street you copuld garrentee to purchashed the first drug of london to reach birmingham club
of the rum runner and the elephant and certainly the ring way along with the green and black liburum tabs ; was purchased and pushed there
have a nice day best wishes Astonian

I used The Ringway / Pink Elephant club a lot in the mid 60's from about 1966 to 1968. It was on Bromsgrove St as you say quite near to the corner of Lower Essex St. As you say also the dance floor was upstairs where they also had a bar, a kitchen and a gaming room off to the side. A disco every weeknight with groups at the weekend. It wasn't as genteel as some of the other clubs. but if you liked rough and ready it was the place to be.

Phil

hi ladylinda
that was a chinese resturant at the bottom corner of bromscrove street by the lights

Hi Astonian,

Wasn't that the Star of India curry house diagonally opposite the Australian Bar?. The Garden of Eden could have been an earlier name for the Ringway as it had a few, but it sounds a bit exotic for such a dump.

Phil

Back in the 60s I did the wiring as a foreigner at a restaurant called the Star of India this was just round the corner on the Horse Fair by the old picture house on Smallbrook Ringway was it the Scala ??I remember looking out of the window and Eric Morecambe was standing there watching me working. My claim to fame Dek

hi phil;
the garden of eden was on the corner as i said it was not before the elephant
and it was a rather posh place to be quite honest but the curries was rubbish ; we went a cross to the other side of the rd the same side as the club
i think that one was called mr channs resturant we always used that one then we started to used the star of india ; as dek said
but like most places they are good when they are first open ; incidently the star introduced belly dancers for a while but it dropped off
then it took a dive ; and people stopped going ;it was not the lack of belly dancers but the curry whent down the pan
best wishes phil and dek ; astonian

Back