• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ring of Bells Bromsgrove Street

Paigntonplace

proper brummie kid
Hi Everyone - its been a while since I was last on line - hope everyone is well and enjoying this Autumnal Sunshine.

Can anyone help - I have a query and am not sure who to approach .....

My Great GrandFather Albert Walls (born c1872 Balsall Heath) is listed in the 1911 Census as a 'Manager of Public House' - at the time of the census the family were living at 57, Bromsgrove Street. My GrandFather (also Albert) was age 1 year.

Can anyone suggest how I can go about finding out which Public House my Great GrandFather managed ? (Family 'rumour' suggests that the pub may have been called the Ring O Bells - but I have found no trace of such a public house)

In 'those days' was there a governing body for Public Houses (i.e licenses - therefore licensees) ?

Any input/advise would be gratefully received

Thank you !!

:)Wendy:)

Hello Wendy

The 1913 Kelly's Trade Directory lists Albert Walls as a beer retailer at 57 Bromsgrove St (no pub name). My next Kelly's is 1937 and by that time 57 is listed as Coffee Rooms.

You need someone with a Kelly's between 1913 & 1937 it might list the name of the pub in one of those.

Phil

Wendy
Albert was not there in 1908 and had left by 1921.the pub seems to have disappeared by 1932. the 1901 census lists it as The Ring of Bells Tavern (1901 birmingham,st Martins, District 1, p.18)
mike

Back