• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rigbys Brass Works

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me anything about Rigbys.My father in law is 94years old and he remembers as a young child being sent to buy drinks for the men who worked there including his father.
the factory was in Lupin Street and I have a photo of my father in laws father and his workmates in their long leather aprons each one with obligitary flat cap.

Sorry Alberta, I can't help you with that particular factory but you do bring up an interesting point (if it's okay to stray a little) about your father in law fetching the drinks.

Apparently, and I've heard this first hand from men who were employed in foundries, it was common practice to have a young lad (gofer) to get the ale. I know one man told me he could drink up to 12 pints in a shift. Such were the conditions, it would be sweated out as fast as it went in, leaving him to go home completely sober.

I believe (but will stand correcting) the term "carrying the can" stems from this practice: The young lad (gofer) having the responsibilty of making sure the empty cans, used for transporting the ale to the foundry were returned to the pub, even though he had not partaken in the actual drinking.

Back