• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ridpool Road Schools Lea Village Girls Secondary Modern

This photo features Ridpool Road J & I school around 1960. I am second from the Right in the middle row. I think the teacher was Miss Derward. I believe the headmistress at that time was Mrs Jones. Names I remember from the photo are: Philip Bradley, Robert Day, Colin Pit, Martin Pritchard.

Attachments

• Ridpool Road.jpg
    Ridpool Road.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 44
This photo features class 2a at Lea Village Boys' school in about 1966. The form teacher was Mr.Walters, who taught P.E. I am second row down on the Left. Ron Gurney, who became a lifelong friend of mine until his death in 2013, is on the extreme Right on the top row. Other names I remember are John Evans (third row down on the Left) who I've spoken to on the 'phone fairly recently, and Stan Lane (second from the Right, second row down). I remember that the Headmaster at the time was Mr.Birch. The deputy Head was Mr.Evans, who taught English. Teachers I can recall are: Mr.Macfarlane (Maths), Mr. Bowling (Art), Mr.Keith Archer (Music).

Attachments

• Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 21
I attended both these schools in Lea Hall 1947 to 1953, and 1953
to 1957. Teachers I remember are: Ridpool Road, Miss James,(infants)
(junior) Miss Prewitt,Miss M Jones, Mr Parker, Mr Davis, Mr Waite and Mr Gregory was the Headmaster.

(Lea Village Girls School) Miss Barker the Headmistress,Miss Morgan, Miss Evans, Miss O,Neill, Mrs Docherty,

Do any of you good people out there remember any of these names or have any photos?
Hiya Babby! I remember Miss M Jones, Mr Davis, lovely Mr Waite and Mr Gregory!! Loved Miss Evans, Miss O'Neill, Mrs Docherty, not loved Miss Barker and HATED Miss Morgan!! I was deaf at school and she used to whisper instead of talking! She was also the teacher you had to report to when you were late!! I would put my hands palm down on her desk and quote the tables backwards. When I faltered, she rapped a ruler, sharp side down, over my knuckles!!!

Does anyone recognize my class of 4a Lea Village! I wasn't there because I was poorly! Girl in the spotted skirt was Pat Vinning, my best friend and the other bridesmaid at my sisters wedding! I think it was Janet Wedge, my other friend in the dark suit! Gillian Potter, Mavis Storey, Val, Pat, Judith!! This was about 59 or 60's!

dottieau, i think i used to go be in the same class as your sister at lea village, also janet ansell i think she lived over the road from you.
LEN, ron atkinson used to go to school with my brother and his sister jaqualine was in the same class as me.
I knew Janet Ansell!! I went out with her brother George!! I think he became a scientist!!

dottieau,thanks for your reply, I think just after the war they put the school leaving age up to fifteen which meant
Enid would have left in 1949 having been at Loveday street in 1934! I am very suprised no one remembers her.thanks again for your kind thoughts
I think the problem is Bernard that very few older people come online. I'm 75 now and I have never found a friend on here!!

Hi wondering if anyone can help me..I moved to Lapley grove and attended Ridpool school about 1981/1982. My memory of those years is not so great but have often thought of the kids I met. I can't remember any surnames but hoping maybe someone from back then will remember me. Kids I remember from Lapley grove were Wendy? lived at the top of the grove think she may have been one of five. Raymond lived in a block of flats across the road from our maisonette which I think was number 9. There was also a girl called Belinda think she had an older sister called Layla? I also remember a friend from school who was called Brenda and had a brother called Kevin. think there was a sweet shop called goodies? I was seven when I moved in and eight when I left. there was me and my little brother we were mixed race and kind of stuck out. I remember the fields and garages at the back of the grove and I think there was a river too. I would love to hear from anyone that remembers me.

As I used to live on the corner of Hallmoor Road and Hurstcroft I used to pass this shop every day. I remember around xmas time looking throuigh the window at the Hornby train set that I wanted, that and all the other toys.
Hi roger did you know the Holley family

Mizzyjo,I was at Lea Village till 50-54.Did they still have the film shows in the main hall girls school

Hi there I went to ridpool road school in 1965 my teacher was mrs shaylor then mr hawker headmaster was mr Hughes.can remember a few names Susan millman.mark astle .Lee Smith,Robert ollerenshaw and Tommy pedwell his sister joy and my best mate bernard walford,and the Heinz brothers and trevor colloffe we moved to chelmsley wood a couple of years later.we lived on kitts green road before that.my name is malcolm sandford and my sister was mary

Hello all you Brummies were ever you are.Just found this site.Read all the posts but no one as ever mentioned The Lea Village School Pig Club.I was Treasurer from 1952-54. Lived in Easthope Rd went to Ridpool Rd for 4 months in 1949 ,remember Mr Davis(the welsh man)always used the blackboard T ruler instead of the cane.Yes I remember the wooden huts the other side of the allplayground.Made friends with David Siviter who lived across the road from the school.Went up to Lea Village seniors in1950.Mr Cowley was Headmaster.Mr Tickell ,Mr McFarlane Mr ward Mr Upton all good teachers.Played football with Big Ron & brother Graham on Donkeys Hollow also Teddy Thomas ,Harry Ironmonger formed a football team called Hayden Rgs from the croft .The Pig club was still there when I left,We had 4 piglets in Jan till June ,sold them .Bought 4 more till Xmas 2 were Sold & 2 slaughtered.The 2 slaughtered were cut up for Xmas dinner for members and the rest was raffled of between members.Does anyone Remember
Hi do recall John jolley he was in the pig club

Hi I'm David Mason,I was born at 44 ridpool rd, when it was just surrounded by a wooden fence, they wooden huts were classrooms of 2 rows of 4 and I was in one of them in my last year of infants in around 1951. I then went into juniors were my first teacher was mrs wiltshire and the second and third year was mr rees and fourth year, mr roberts, the headmistress was mrs cowboy.as regards to the wooden buildings there was a boys and girls toilets at the end of each block. And separate to there was a wooden cookhouse where they done the dinners, so nice to reminisce and I watched them build the big white wall around the school which was a big field around the school

Hope none of these children were claustrophobic. “Thank goodness we remembered to bring the gramophone”. Viv.

C934EB06-D91E-47B5-BF5C-D23F87770416.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

I've seen a few names that I remember from Ridpool Road School, but some have just come to mind. Does anyone remember Mrs Masters, she helped out in the playground, mid 1950's, also Miss Davies, who's class I was in for two years running. What about Miss Lygo, a lovely teacher, she left to go to Germany to teach I believe and I remember a Mr Butcher, who might have been either a trainee or a temporary teacher. A lot remembered.... .and a lot forgotten!

I went toRipool Road infants, juniors and then Lea Village boys school from 1952 till 1962. I lived in the prefabs in Lea Ford Road until 1965 when we moved to Shard End.
My classmates were John King, Barry Treadwell, John Stringer, Malcom McIntyre, Brian Regan, ? Lavery, ? Young, Norman Brown, Peter Baker, David Wiseman, John Hubbard, David Hateley, David Clayton, Cavan Meredith. Most of these were with me throughout those years.
I remember some teachers Mr Garlic, Mr Adair, Mr Macfarlane, Mr Davies, Mr Evans, Mr Archer, Mr Tickel, Mr Singh (formed Hockey team), Mr Bowler, Mr Ayteo.
I would love to hear from any of these classmate, see how they got in life.

I went toRipool Road infants, juniors and then Lea Village boys school from 1952 till 1962. I lived in the prefabs in Lea Ford Road until 1965 when we moved to Shard End.
My classmates were John King, Barry Treadwell, John Stringer, Malcom McIntyre, Brian Regan, ? Lavery, ? Young, Norman Brown, Peter Baker, David Wiseman, John Hubbard, David Hateley, David Clayton, Cavan Meredith. Most of these were with me throughout those years.
I remember some teachers Mr Garlic, Mr Adair, Mr Macfarlane, Mr Davies, Mr Evans, Mr Archer, Mr Tickel, Mr Singh (formed Hockey team), Mr Bowler, Mr Ayteo.
I would love to hear from any of these classmate, see how they got in life.
Sorry, my name is Brian Kemp (kempy)

Added by Chris Dingley - 23/07/2006 20:03:09 Added by Jayne Cohen - 07/04/2006 10:49:35from left 2 right.. top.. kevin, mark, colin (kermit), steven, raymond, zak n colin. middle.. anthony, victoria, andrea, me, debra n barrington. bottom.. graham, kalvant, christine, mrs spence, julie, sharon n glyn.

R.I.P mrs spenceAdded by Dean McNally - 06/04/2006 08:47:11 Added by Nyree Williams - 01/08/2005 18:16:23Dean sent me this picture, so I thought it'll be nice to post it. So other people can share in our awful dress sense...Added by David Clayton - 10/02/2002 23:12:371956-57.

Head is Mr Thorn and teacher is Mr Parker. Johnny Blackwell is the goalie, Micheal Lowe on his right. I see Brian Shackleton, Billy Round, Trevor Bowen, Malcom ??? Sorry guys. Can't remember any more.
Added by David Clayton - 10/02/2002 23:03:25Thanks to Anita Prewitt, I now know that this is 1955/56 and the teacher is Miss Prewitt.Added by Mathew Millman - 14/12/2001 21:23:52Here is Ms Spencer's Class of 1984.
Karen ?, Roland Westwood, Wendy ?, Darryl ?, Sarah Harris, Mathew Millman, Jason Harris, Joanne Cotterill, Martin Newton, Lavina Meads, Graham Hadley, Steven Lynch, Clare Boyd, Steven Hadley, Natasha Lindsey, Raymond Kimberley, Michelle ?, Lisa Potter, Mark Martin, Debbie ?, ??, Neil Massey, Colin Cameron, Jason ?, Graig ?, Neil Williams. Where are they all now?Added by David Binder - 08/05/2001 01:55:45 Added by David Binder - 08/05/2001 01:53:51just testing again.sorry about using too much space.:)
David Clayton, I think you were in my class at Lea Village 1957 to 1962, and maybe Ridpool Road before that
Hi from Brian Kemp

Hi I'm David Mason,I was born at 44 ridpool rd, when it was just surrounded by a wooden fence, they wooden huts were classrooms of 2 rows of 4 and I was in one of them in my last year of infants in around 1951. I then went into juniors were my first teacher was mrs wiltshire and the second and third year was mr rees and fourth year, mr roberts, the headmistress was mrs cowboy.as regards to the wooden buildings there was a boys and girls toilets at the end of each block. And separate to there was a wooden cookhouse where they done the dinners, so nice to reminisce and I watched them build the big white wall around the school which was a big field around the school
H David, would you have known John King who lived in Ridpool Road up until at least 1962 with his Gran ?

hi Dave im ROGER LOVELL born in coppenhall grove I must be 2years below you but remember Dorothy is she your sister .she was big friend of June moon and Barbara Wilkinson from the grove what a trio .are they still about I still live locally and am still in love with all the girls...

Hello all you Brummies were ever you are.Just found this site.Read all the posts but no one as ever mentioned The Lea Village School Pig Club.I was Treasurer from 1952-54. Lived in Easthope Rd went to Ridpool Rd for 4 months in 1949 ,remember Mr Davis(the welsh man)always used the blackboard T ruler instead of the cane.Yes I remember the wooden huts the other side of the allplayground.Made friends with David Siviter who lived across the road from the school.Went up to Lea Village seniors in1950.Mr Cowley was Headmaster.Mr Tickell ,Mr McFarlane Mr ward Mr Upton all good teachers.Played football with Big Ron & brother Graham on Donkeys Hollow also Teddy Thomas ,Harry Ironmonger formed a football team called Hayden Rgs from the croft .The Pig club was still there when I left,We had 4 piglets in Jan till June ,sold them .Bought 4 more till Xmas 2 were Sold & 2 slaughtered.The 2 slaughtered were cut up for Xmas dinner for members and the rest was raffled of between members.Does anyone Remember
Yes, my Dad (Bill Shackleford) was a member of the Pig Club of Lea Village Secondary Modern during the same period of 1951-53 and he has spoken to me of exactly the same story that you have written. He said there was an allotment in the school grounds too and the school had an association with a farm somewhere in the Cotswolds (Don't exactly know where), which they visited more than once in their final school year. Bill also played in the same school football team as Ron Atkinson, as they were in the same year.

Back